We are all deeply sad at the passing of our old Kenpo friend

We are all deeply sad at the passing of our old Kenpo friend

January 23rd, 2012, 3:23 pm #1

We are all deeply sad at the passing of our old Kenpo friend of 38 years in the art, Mr. Hughie Hanratty of Dublin, Ireland. May God Bless him as he rest in peace. He was a fine Kenpo man and did much for the art in Ireland, and also for American Kenpo World wide.
From all his friends in LTKKA.
Patrick S Kennedy. John Birch. Dan Gilligan. Vivion Spain.

January 24th, 2012, 2:24 pm #2

Each country has their Kenpo legends, Mr Hughie Hanratty
was one of Irelands most talented Kenpoists, at tournaments in the 70s and early 80s he was an opponent to me feared. In those days competition sparring contact was the norm ( the groin guard being a target not a protective device}
The only pity was in thoses days his organisation never traveled outside Ireland he would have enjoyed the Internatinals he would have done well in any international tournament.
Technically brilliant his freestyle sparring awksome he was a nice guy to boot. In his time as instructor in Baggot St he trained myself, Ed Downey, Fran Holmes, The Twins, Viv Spain and many others.
In my time in Kenpo of almost 40 years Ihave being honoured to train with in my oppinion 2 of the best, Hughie being one of them.
Guys being pushed to prominance today don,t hold a candle to this guy he never claimed greatness, never put anyone down. His grade obvious by his ability.
Rest in Peace Hughie and sympathy to your family.
Honour And Respect