The #6 kata, Ed Parkers...

The #6 kata, Ed Parkers...

May 8th, 2009, 3:04 am #1

Hello,
Does anyone know for sure when the long #6 kata was formally added to the Kenpo curriculum?
I was under the impression that it was a "70's" thing...
Am I far off of the mark?
Thank you,
Milt G.

May 8th, 2009, 3:40 am #2

I asked Dave Hebler this a while back and he replied that he was teaching all forms up through Form 6 by the end of 1966.

JM

May 8th, 2009, 3:48 am #3

Thanks, Mr. Meredith...
Guess I was off by almost a decade! Mr. Hebler would certainly know.
Thank you, by the way, for keeping this "Kenponet" thing going. It has been a wonderful resource for all of the Kenpo and related arts. The "Family Tree" archive is perhaps the most concise available!
Perhaps the long #7 kata was a "70's" thing?
Have a great day and week!
Milt G.

May 8th, 2009, 4:06 am #4

I learned the original form 7 (when it was a double knife form) long about 1967.

May 8th, 2009, 6:11 am #5

Hello,
Does anyone know for sure when the long #6 kata was formally added to the Kenpo curriculum?
I was under the impression that it was a "70's" thing...
Am I far off of the mark?
Thank you,
Milt G.
When I received my black in October 1965, I was required to be able to perform through Long 4. Long 5 followed soon thereafter, but for the life of me I can't recall when Long 6 came into existence - although I tend to lean toward 1967. An interesting question might be when was Long 6 first performed at the Internationals? For years Long 4 was the go-to form for black belt competition - and many feel it still is. In what year did Ernie George perform all the forms through Long 6 as one continuous form? Anyone recall?

Salute

May 8th, 2009, 3:25 pm #6

Around "85"

And was that awesome!

Poetry in Motion!

D

May 8th, 2009, 5:39 pm #7

Mr. McGee,

Que pasa amigo! Are you going to be able to make it to the Orange County Martial Arts tournament June 6th? Would love to see you there. Bring some students!

Salute,
Maurice

May 8th, 2009, 5:44 pm #8

Maurice thank you call me I didn't know about it.Also I haven't seen you on Monday's you have to complete my application for Pain before Juans & Cliffs LOL!

D
951-704-0214
MATE

May 8th, 2009, 5:53 pm #9

lol...I just posted a new thread. I know that alot of people that didnt know when i told them, so i figured i'd spread the word.

I will be there with about 15 of my students or so, so yeah, try to come down with a few. It'll be great to see you as usual.

As far as Mondays go, yeah i'm sorry about that. My schedule gets really tied up.

Mondays are alternating days for me. Sometimes I go to a boxing gym, or go over to Larry's in Diamond Bar...or i'm giving a private lesson. Same thing with Wednesdays.

Tues, Friday's and Saturdays i'm compeltely tied up with time from 6:00pm to 9:00pm teaching classes at my place.

Thursdays are usually the only days i don't have anythign going on, but I usually reserve that day to work out on my own and brush up.

I've been desperatly wanting to get in your class on mondays. I'll have to really alternate my locations and squeeze you in there..maybe like every other, other week, you know? Your classes sound great and i'm sure that i'll learn alot.

I'll call you shortly though, ok?

Salute,
Maurice

May 9th, 2009, 11:17 pm #10

Around "85"

And was that awesome!

Poetry in Motion!

D
Hi,
Can you show something that would back up your claim or is that when you learned it?

There really is not much out, about it, other than word of mouth. I have read that it was designed for the 3 Degree BB test, or part of it...Jamie Seabrook Manual...

That was the teaching belt 3BB, in the time of the II books, which came out in the 80's.

Thanks,
Regards