Squatting Sacrifice

Squatting Sacrifice

December 15th, 2011, 6:45 am #1

Can anyone explain the origin of Squatting Sacrifice and does it have any relevance in today's world? Any help with this technique would be appreciated.

Fred Pleis

December 15th, 2011, 4:55 pm #2

...I wouldn't do it in a street situation. It's too risky and there are way better methods of defending against that particular attack. If you look at the attack from the attacker's perspective (as you should do with all the techniques), and look at the response in Squatting Sacrifice from the attacker's point of view, notice all the things you could do while he is trying to get your leg. I was a wrestler for 12 years and can tell you all the things I could do from a wrestler's perspective. Even if I didn't wrestle, I can tell you many other things I could do while you sink down to grab my leg.

Just my opinion. Opinions vary. But, on the street I have to save my own butt and I have many times. Nobody is going to save it for me. So I will stick to what works and not get caught up in all the fantasy.

So, what is your opinion about the technique?

December 15th, 2011, 7:17 pm #3

Can anyone explain the origin of Squatting Sacrifice and does it have any relevance in today's world? Any help with this technique would be appreciated.

Fred Pleis
In Dance of Death, we face him as we pull out his leg. In Brushing the Storm, we are behind him....in Squatting Sacrifice, now he is behind us. Just all the ways to do a move. Naturally, some are easier and more probable to pull off than others, but we show all variations, both what we can do and what can be done on us! The technique also shows the use of diamond and concave stances, much like Leap of Death. Hope it helps

December 15th, 2011, 7:56 pm #4

Fred Pleis
The first move is contact penetration and the third range. The second move "Squatting" in squatting sacrifice is contact manipulation using your butt as a fulcrum on the opponents knee for a standing knee bar, trap and take down. The technique originates from concepts, theories and principles like they all do. If you are asking where the movements originated from book one says they were morphed from Tamo's original 18 hand movements. It depends on which origin and whose origin you are specifically looking for.

Relevance in today's world: It depends on your skill, your understanding and the exact situation and how you have trained for a rear bear hug. When you are attacked you should have an auto response... Is squatting sacrifice one of your auto responses? Have you drilled it 1000's of times so the technique is part of your conditioned response to a rear bear hug? That is your answer.

Have a nice day
W
http://www.kenpoguy.com/

December 18th, 2011, 6:26 pm #5

Fred Pleis
SQUATTING SACRIFICE

Kenpo is not for everyone and so Squatting Sacrifice is not for everyone either. Unfortunately, Squatting Sacrifice has several requirements before it can be relevant to the individual.

First, you have to be taught the technique correctly from an Instructor who actually can know and do the technique.

Secondly, you have to have enough focus to pay attention to the entire lesson. (Even if the SGM was teaching you, if you did not pay attention you do not learn or become skilled just by being in close proximity)

Third, you need to work the technique on several body-types under the supervision of a qualified instructor, while trying to perfect each part of the sequence. If you try to rush through it without getting each basic down your application of Squatting Sacrifice will have many missing links that will cause it to fail.

Fourth, your qualified instructor will have to take the time to correct your mistakes and keep you moving on the right track so that you do not fall into bad habits.

Fifth, the individual practitioner has to have a level of devotion to high standards of skill, the individual cannot settle for doing the technique with any less skill then his or her qualified instructor. The individual practitioner cannot have room for excuses in their Kenpo, like just dismissing the technique as just another one of those Kenpo techniques that are ridiculous, such attitudes in practice lead to levels of mediocrity that can be seen throughout that individuals expression of the system.

Sixth, the individual practitioner has to have the intelligence to grasp the principles and concepts being taught in each basic that give the motions their effectiveness and to ingrain them into their application by correctly conditioning the technique into procedural memory. This also requires the determination and patience to practice the technique constantly as Kenpo skill is perishable if people stop training after getting to a certain point, the skill does decay.

Seventh, the individual should increase their understanding of the technique by passing it down, ONLY AFTER they can execute it with a level of mastery, no need to teach it if you cannot even figure out how it works.

Here is a clip on Youtube of Squatting Sacrifice done to standard:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-BUKHGeLw

December 19th, 2011, 5:45 am #6

Fred Pleis
Thank you for your input on this technique. At Mr. Miller, my opinion of this technique is that I think it has some very relevant components, but as a whole, I'm with you, it would not be my first choice to defend against a rear bear hug. At Mr. Ibraham, I understand what you are saying, but I have learned this technique 4 separate ways and I still fail to see the relevance of the technique in today's world. In my opinion, if a grappler were to grab you and you would attempt Squatting Sacrifice, you would put yourself in a position of weakness, because a grappler would likely trap or grab your leg and you would wind up on top of a grappler, leaving you vulnerable to a rear naked choke. I do understand why you must learn the technique, but I don't see the relevance.
Last edited by fredpleis on December 19th, 2011, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 19th, 2011, 3:29 pm #7

Great points, my friend. Not to mention, any of our techniques can be pulled off in a studio with a compliant partner. Even those who practice with resistance are still missing the full reality boat, because resistance in the studio doesn't match the resistance on the streets. The resistance on the streets means anything can happen - knife get pulled, wild striking, get taken down, etc.

In Squatting Sacrifice, the minute you "squat" Jiu-Jitsu guys would have a field day with you. You are continuing to give up your back. Not smart. There are much better things to do than this technique for that type of attack. Like just simply wrist/hand control, hips out, cut through and blast him. Not that hard. That's just one example. And by you squatting, you lower your center of gravity making it easy for a wrestler to take you down from behind.

The paralysis of analysis we see all the time just makes me chuckle. I say, good luck. You can certaily tell those who have never been in the ring and those who have never been in a real life physical combat situation. To each his own. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Let's just hope their perception of reality doesn't get them killed someday.

Michael Miller
Last edited by millhouse23 on December 19th, 2011, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 19th, 2011, 3:38 pm #8

SQUATTING SACRIFICE

Kenpo is not for everyone and so Squatting Sacrifice is not for everyone either. Unfortunately, Squatting Sacrifice has several requirements before it can be relevant to the individual.

First, you have to be taught the technique correctly from an Instructor who actually can know and do the technique.

Secondly, you have to have enough focus to pay attention to the entire lesson. (Even if the SGM was teaching you, if you did not pay attention you do not learn or become skilled just by being in close proximity)

Third, you need to work the technique on several body-types under the supervision of a qualified instructor, while trying to perfect each part of the sequence. If you try to rush through it without getting each basic down your application of Squatting Sacrifice will have many missing links that will cause it to fail.

Fourth, your qualified instructor will have to take the time to correct your mistakes and keep you moving on the right track so that you do not fall into bad habits.

Fifth, the individual practitioner has to have a level of devotion to high standards of skill, the individual cannot settle for doing the technique with any less skill then his or her qualified instructor. The individual practitioner cannot have room for excuses in their Kenpo, like just dismissing the technique as just another one of those Kenpo techniques that are ridiculous, such attitudes in practice lead to levels of mediocrity that can be seen throughout that individuals expression of the system.

Sixth, the individual practitioner has to have the intelligence to grasp the principles and concepts being taught in each basic that give the motions their effectiveness and to ingrain them into their application by correctly conditioning the technique into procedural memory. This also requires the determination and patience to practice the technique constantly as Kenpo skill is perishable if people stop training after getting to a certain point, the skill does decay.

Seventh, the individual should increase their understanding of the technique by passing it down, ONLY AFTER they can execute it with a level of mastery, no need to teach it if you cannot even figure out how it works.

Here is a clip on Youtube of Squatting Sacrifice done to standard:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-BUKHGeLw
"Kenpo is not for everyone"

Why not? Mr. Parker created an art that is tailored to the individual so that it can work for everyone, unlike traditional styles. So why are you saying otherwise?

December 19th, 2011, 8:03 pm #9

Thank you for your input on this technique. At Mr. Miller, my opinion of this technique is that I think it has some very relevant components, but as a whole, I'm with you, it would not be my first choice to defend against a rear bear hug. At Mr. Ibraham, I understand what you are saying, but I have learned this technique 4 separate ways and I still fail to see the relevance of the technique in today's world. In my opinion, if a grappler were to grab you and you would attempt Squatting Sacrifice, you would put yourself in a position of weakness, because a grappler would likely trap or grab your leg and you would wind up on top of a grappler, leaving you vulnerable to a rear naked choke. I do understand why you must learn the technique, but I don't see the relevance.
with the right foot back slightly, back. Works well for Crushing ans Crashing and all the other rear bear hugs. Guys, the attack is as important as the defense, so, try making the attack more aggressive ans let's see if squatting is as dangerous as you guys claim a wrestler sees it as.

Clark

December 19th, 2011, 9:03 pm #10

You say you understand why the technique must be learned but you do not see the relevance.

What reason do you think the technique must be learned? Perhaps if I know the reason why you think it should be learned I can see better why it seems to have no relevance to you.

Has todays world really changed to the point that a knee joint can bend in ways Mr. Parker could not fathom? Of course not.

The popularity of BJJ is in our favor as Kenpoist. They are training to roll around in one on one engagement on a forgiving mat. We on the other hand are still training for a no rules street fight. Well, some of us are and some of just think they are but thats a post for another time.

This idea that by going for the leg you are giving up your back does not make sense, you are already in a rear bear hug that means your back has been taken already. Second, if indeed you were attacked by a skilled grappler, you would be in the process of being taken down, and lowering your center is in fact the smart thing to do. With so many people claiming knowledge in grappling systems, I would think that would be apparent to them.

Now this idea that after they fall, they will trap your leg or somehow pull you into a rear naked choke If it does happen you are free to escape.

If while you are doing the technique your attacker cracks his skull open on the hard pavement feel free to cover out, as that too is possible in a world where gravity is not as forgiving.

In the end it seems to me like this talk of knives being pulled, wild striking and getting jumped by the Gracie Family lol are irrelevant to Squatting Sacrifice.

If the attacker wanted to stab you, they would have done so before putting their arms around you in the bear hug, if the attacker wanted to use a rear naked choke they would have done so, again they had that option to start with.

What effect would each part of squatting sacrifice have on your attacker?

What effect does the attacker's attack have on you?