Self-Delusion: Martial Arts Mythology

Self-Delusion: Martial Arts Mythology

August 16th, 2012, 11:16 pm #1

Self-Delusion is a dangerous thing...

Many different approaches to training and teaching Martial Arts exist. Some people like to teach from a scientifc perspective while others like to teach using folkloristic allegory. Concepts like chi or ki and chakras are seen by some as absolutley essential elements in the their training and teaching while others view it as martial mythology.

Now this idea of a Martial Arts Master who can manipulate internal and spiritual energy, drawing in vibratory energy or manipulating the totality of the Universe by means of magical rituals such as Kuji-Kiri in my opinion is delusional. I believe that people who act like they are capable of such things do so for one of two reasons. Reason one is they are trying to draw to themselves the most gullible people to manipulate them into either stroking their egos or divesting them of money or the second reason because they have tricked their own minds being gullible themselves into thinking they can actually do these magical things.

I do in fact believe that hypnotism is a powerful tool, capable of the most magical of things: Stress Reduction! In this high stress world Stress Reduction is needed. Someone mentioned Tai Chi Chuan people being balanced and healthy... well the good ones anyways, they are balanced not because they can actually control chi but because they train repeatedly doing a slow motion flowing form with great relaxation which causes stress reduction.

What do I know I am still young.
Last edited by kenposoldier01 on August 16th, 2012, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2012, 2:00 am #2

A lot of what you say is true. True practical energy work has nothing to do with most of what you mention.

As far as being young Sami,

Stick around

August 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm #3

Many different approaches to training and teaching Martial Arts exist. Some people like to teach from a scientifc perspective while others like to teach using folkloristic allegory. Concepts like chi or ki and chakras are seen by some as absolutley essential elements in the their training and teaching while others view it as martial mythology.

Now this idea of a Martial Arts Master who can manipulate internal and spiritual energy, drawing in vibratory energy or manipulating the totality of the Universe by means of magical rituals such as Kuji-Kiri in my opinion is delusional. I believe that people who act like they are capable of such things do so for one of two reasons. Reason one is they are trying to draw to themselves the most gullible people to manipulate them into either stroking their egos or divesting them of money or the second reason because they have tricked their own minds being gullible themselves into thinking they can actually do these magical things.

I do in fact believe that hypnotism is a powerful tool, capable of the most magical of things: Stress Reduction! In this high stress world Stress Reduction is needed. Someone mentioned Tai Chi Chuan people being balanced and healthy... well the good ones anyways, they are balanced not because they can actually control chi but because they train repeatedly doing a slow motion flowing form with great relaxation which causes stress reduction.

Maybe practicing all those long hours makes one's Ki/Chi stronger, maybe it just makes your muscles stronger (plus all the other benefits, developing better balance, timing, accuracy, etc)

As long as the martial artist can effectively defend themselves and others and get away safely, I don't see an issue with a bit of fantasy, as long as the artist doesn't begin to believe they can do things they cannot do (stop an attacker with shouting, flying away, shooting fireballs from their hands, etc)

Now if you can actually train me to shoot fireballs from my hands, send me an email. : )

I bet a person could also use some fantastic b.s. to diffuse a situation (appearing insane, almost pitiful, maybe an attacker might think it's not worth it to pick on some crazy dude) but you have to have the skill level and ability to stop the attacker with force, I certainly wouldn't rely on the predator with a knife that wants to kill me suddenly being struck with a change of heart or some sudden affliction of moral love for all sentient beings.

August 17th, 2012, 2:04 pm #4

Basic Martial arts in most societies has the belief in energy, mind over matter.

It's about learning the A,B,C's the 1,2,3's, the higher learning/power, is chemistry!

While watching the olympics, listening to comments, it is about day in and day out, physcial demand on the body, the one thing they all talk about when completing a good or bad technique, dive, jump, is, focus!!

Religion! Belief! All of them have it... It is the individual effort, by a few that generally have that energy, delusion for some, illusion for others.

Regards,
Gary

August 18th, 2012, 5:45 am #5

Any kenpo or martial arts "master" that thinks they could stand up to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ollo3wYILAI

August 18th, 2012, 7:30 am #6

Didn't Tyson break his hand in a street fight?

August 18th, 2012, 11:46 am #7

Tyson, he broke his hand against another boxer in an alley fight.
Here is some information about him.

http://www.nndb.com/people/257/000023188/

Tough man, driven, all the problems, in his mind, along with that he was dedicated to hurt others, mind over matter, he is the perfect example of it.

"I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been. No one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No! I'm Alexander! He's no Alexander! I'm the best ever. Theres never been anyone as ruthless as me. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's no one like me. I'm from their cloth. There is no one who can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

Tyson's post fight interview after knocking out Lou Savarese 38 seconds into the bout in June 2
His life has been one of ups and downs, there are many who would like to live that life???
Doing much better I have read. Interesting about his brother, a Doctor...

A good read about MT is at wiki, easy to access and informative.

Regards,
Gary
Last edited by BGile on August 18th, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2012, 5:06 pm #8

He's definitely one of my favorite 5 boxers.
I rented Tyson as soon as it was out a couple years ago, he's inspiring, sensitive, coming from a hard life, mentored by Cus D'amato and made a bunch of progress, trains himself to become the greatest heavyweight of his time (and arguably, of other's times)

And then Cus died and this sensitive young man was alone again, his father came into his life and then was gone..

I have a deep fondness for Mike Tyson, he has survived and grown.

August 18th, 2012, 6:07 pm #9

Any kenpo or martial arts "master" that thinks they could stand up to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ollo3wYILAI
Don't get in the ring.

That's like saying
"There's no martial artist that could stand up to this firing squad!"

I'm a martial artist, not a punching bag. I'm not training to be a really good punching bag.

August 19th, 2012, 11:01 pm #10

If I was a gambling person and i was having to bet on who would win one on one, either in the ring against a top kenpo master or in an uncontrolled fight I would pick Mike Tyson. If I had to pick a karate man who would win it would be Joe Lewis.