Rational vs. Rationalizing

Rational vs. Rationalizing

November 28th, 2010, 2:41 pm #1

People have asked me many times when I will put on the 10th Degree. I just don`t see it in my future. I could rationalize and try hard to justify wearing it but it would be a lie. My conscience will not allow this to happen. I would not be rational and think that I should wear the same rank as Ed Parker. What he accomplished in 59 years is not even close to being duplicated. With people handing out promotions to higher ranks for monetary gain, our art is being diluted to the point that we are an embarrassment. Anything can be rationalized if one tries hard enough. It still does not make it right.
Ed Parker based our art on logic. Try applying logic to the fact that we are top heavy on 10th Degrees. We have 10th`s that are not even on the original family tree. We have 10th degrees that do not have the respect of their peers or a history of service back to kenpo. I would suggest getting a list of accomplishments that Ed Parker has and then list your own. If you pale in comparison, and you will, then give it some serious thought before you put on the rank.
Respectfully,
Bob White
Last edited by whitekenpo on November 28th, 2010, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2010, 3:19 pm #2

that some see the ladder as going only one way, up.

Others see a ladder and say, "Hey, look, we can all go up."

And then there are those that are content to hold the ladder for others.

So we can, a) climb until there is no where left to go
b) sit there on the top and claim our kingship
c) invert the colors on our belt

OR, 1. hold the ladder for others to climb

Clark
WE ARE BORG.....................WE RAN OT OF RED INK

November 28th, 2010, 5:33 pm #3

People have asked me many times when I will put on the 10th Degree. I just don`t see it in my future. I could rationalize and try hard to justify wearing it but it would be a lie. My conscience will not allow this to happen. I would not be rational and think that I should wear the same rank as Ed Parker. What he accomplished in 59 years is not even close to being duplicated. With people handing out promotions to higher ranks for monetary gain, our art is being diluted to the point that we are an embarrassment. Anything can be rationalized if one tries hard enough. It still does not make it right.
Ed Parker based our art on logic. Try applying logic to the fact that we are top heavy on 10th Degrees. We have 10th`s that are not even on the original family tree. We have 10th degrees that do not have the respect of their peers or a history of service back to kenpo. I would suggest getting a list of accomplishments that Ed Parker has and then list your own. If you pale in comparison, and you will, then give it some serious thought before you put on the rank.
Respectfully,
Bob White
Mr. White,

My opinion is if anybody other than Mr. Parker himself is worthy of wearing that rank in Kenpo it would be you. You have accomplished much more than many of the amateur tenth degrees we have strutting around (there are some tenths in Kenpo who are awesome, however). With that said, I totally see your point. I wouldn't want to wear one either. It's nice to see what your value is and that your character speaks volumes.

I actually don't like rank PERIOD. As a fourth degree black belt, I don't feel worthy of it. I certainly don't want any more rank - especially when it comes to all the rank getting handed out like candy. It's a sad world in Kenpo anymore and I don't want to be one of those punks wearing high rank due to political hog wash or because of more candles on the birthday cake.

I'm very active. I train hard because I believe in it, not because I want rank. I train hard because my students deserve the best I am capable of giving. I don't sit on the sidelines and I never will. I wouldn't even wear my belt if I wasn't an instructor.

Earning a black belt was a goal of mine. The stripes are meaningless to me now. My goal now is to continue to work hard and become the best I am capable of becoming. My actions will prove who I am - not what I'm wearing.

God bless you, Mr. White.

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com
Last edited by millhouse23 on November 28th, 2010, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2010, 5:40 pm #4

Respectfully,
Bob White
Thank you my friend (& you too Clark) for some reasoned responses to the current trend. I don't get it myself, well the money part I do, but I don't understand the thinking and the logic is left to those who are promoted either by self, "Oh, my students wanted it", or a board of seniors. I will leave the rationale to them to explain, if they wish, but Professor White's post has to be read over and over and most will read the word "service" which is an old martial saying that all Black Belts are 'servants' to their System, teachers, and mostly students. Service is a strong and beneficial component of a good teacher and a good "Master". These days only one's conscience will dictate what path we take and most importantly, live with...
In Spirit,
S. LaBounty

November 28th, 2010, 6:56 pm #5

Respectfully,
Bob White
Well said Mr. White!!! and Mr. LaBounty!!! Thank you for being who you are Gentlemen.

Salute,
Todd Durgan

November 28th, 2010, 7:25 pm #6

Respectfully,
Bob White
I totally agree with comments but the fracmentation of kenpo and the lack of intergrity by a lot of our kenpo community leads to abuse. In Japanese currency we are all over graded. Kenpo always needed and needs a world organization to fix what it seems is unfixable, with honest intent maybe not. The problems in Kenpo goes back a long time. It started with the Kenpo supermarket attitude of some who took what they thought was valid material and discarded the rest.
Grades vary in time and syllabus that causes distortion that confuses all. The hooking up with anyone for the dollar even by the most respected in Kenpo leads to the loss of hard earned respect.
These type of discussions are not in my view for a international forum.Our problems started way back at the kenpo beginning what is now being reaped was planted long ago.

Tony Dunne
A kenpo Student of almost 40 Years

November 28th, 2010, 8:02 pm #7

Respectfully,
Bob White
I beleieve it's more than rank that makes us diluted and an embarrasment......the difference between reality and business......

What rank of Black Belt is worthy?

At what Rank should we stop allowing ourselves to be promoted?

I would have been happy to stop at 3rd, but I tested for all my rank because my Instructor told me to and that it was not up to me.....

Not sure why I and 7 other of Joe Dimmicks Black Belts were left off the tree....but for what ever reason I am one of those second generation BB's that are not on there....

My only accomplishment thus far is that I am still alive can take care of my family and so are many others including Military and police that I have shared information with.....

No matter what my rank, I still teach for free....may be that should be as important as those that teach for a living!!!!!

The only person I answer to and never want to embarrass is my Instructor Joe Dimmick.....he told me to put on that rank, he can also tell me to take it off.

Rich

November 28th, 2010, 10:09 pm #8

Respectfully,
Bob White
nevermind

November 28th, 2010, 10:24 pm #9

Respectfully,
Bob White
I really think you are overthinking this. I mean none of the ranks mean anything so why should 10th be any different? I would not be getting into some moral trip about this. Either don't do it or do it.. But with your statements you are kind of judging other people...

Ultimately I think we do need to remember that this is just karate. It is not saving people in Haiti or doing some highly important humanitarian effort with your life. It's fun and might save a person if attacked. But it is no better than playing pool, swimming, football or anything else. In the grand scheme of things kenpo does not mean a whole lot..

So I would not be thinking the decision to wear a 10 is so so critical or kenpo is critical and has any real significan impact on mankind.

I mean we are having fun while millions of folks in Haiti are starving and dying, have no momes and are sick. Would not our lives be better invested in helping them? Would you be willing to sell everything you own and save 100 kids from dying in Haiti? Well you could.. Think about it.. So with all this in mind your issue with the belt is insignificant.. Hey but your karate is good.. The question is what means more on your tombstone? "Was a great karate guy that everyone respected" or "Gave up all he had to save sick and starving children"??

So the belt, ed parker, me, you and kenpo are pretty small in the grand universal scheme...

So put it on or don't.. It don't matter...
Last edited by kenpo58 on November 28th, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 28th, 2010, 10:52 pm #10

Respectfully,
Bob White
...This is one of the best responses I personally have ever read. Mr.White you sir are in a rare class of your own and even though your humble comments are an example of who you are and what principles you believe in, this stands alone much more with an impact than sporting what you call top heavy rank....I salute you from where I stand and that is looking up to you as an awesome carrier of the Kenpo Flame passing it on to the next generations to be proud of with a Humble manners.

TCB....Sean Kelley