My student Matt Morris's fourth MMA fight

My student Matt Morris's fourth MMA fight

December 5th, 2011, 5:49 pm #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTy1uw56 ... ture=share

I posted my student Matt Morris's last (fifth) fight a few days back. This is the professional video of his fourth fight. Matt has been doing well. His record is now 3-2. He won his first fight by TKO second round, he lost his second and third - both were split decisions, and won his fourth and fifth by submissions. This is a nasty kimora. Watch Matt go to work.

He still has things to work on, but he is coming along. He fights again in Ohio on February 4. TCB.
Last edited by millhouse23 on December 5th, 2011, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 5th, 2011, 7:39 pm #2

I don't know if you want feedback, but from what I saw, things to work on, he is returning his jab low, a better boxer might have punished him for it. Drops his hands when he kicks. He also didn't kick with 3 leg positions.

He did well.

December 5th, 2011, 9:34 pm #3

Chuck,

I welcome all feedback. As I mentioned, Matt has a lot to work on. He is actually a good boxer (undefeated amatuer boxing record, thus far), but he has some bad habits - one being what you mentioned with dropping the hand on the recoil of the punch. He's been training with me for seven years, but it's hard to break bad habits. I'm working on him though.

There are several things he could have done better in this fight. First off, he punched out of range the entire time. His roundhouse kick was a slap - no power. He got frustrated because his opponent was a runner - constantly backing up and feeling Matt out. The superman punch Matt attempted was poorly timed and had nothing behind it. He had no takedown defense (his weakness is wrestling, but he is getting much better).

Matt has a good future as an MMA fighter. He's very motivated, and very flexible. He has great head kicks, but won't be able to show those until he turns pro. He has good hands, great rhythm, awesome head movement and footwork, and really good Jiu-Jitsu. I'm very proud of him. Lots of work to do though.