Let's move on - Blinding Sacrifice

Let's move on - Blinding Sacrifice

November 5th, 2010, 4:06 pm #1

Any of you cats think you can pull that puppy off on the streets?

Why or why not?

November 5th, 2010, 4:30 pm #2

I was just thinking about that tech last night (since it's featured in the latest black belt mag). I like the tech, but am concerned about the possibility of attacker's ability/inability to collapse his arms inward/downward as the initial pokes are launched.

November 5th, 2010, 8:16 pm #3

Why or why not?
Meow..purr purr..Meow..Hiss..scratch...Meow..

November 5th, 2010, 9:11 pm #4

I was just thinking about that tech last night (since it's featured in the latest black belt mag). I like the tech, but am concerned about the possibility of attacker's ability/inability to collapse his arms inward/downward as the initial pokes are launched.
was it just me, I don't have it handy, but did the person applying the technique leave his groin open to the attacker in the beginning?

I'd have to look again at the grocery store but thought you might have it handy there.

November 5th, 2010, 9:29 pm #5

Why or why not?
It is a pretty technique when done sharply.
The guys on the Casa de Kenpo youtube clip do it nicely - fast and clean (btw, this is not an endorsement).

But, I generally don't like techniques that involve symmetrical striking (i.e. using both arms simultaneously to do the same movement).

I am a proponent of alternating strikes so that I always have a hand near my face for protection.

In the technique, I don't like the movement after the initial double eye poke - windmilling arms to grab groin - I just don't think that the opponents arms can be pinned securely. Also, I don't like the third movement which places both arms behind the opponent to strike kidneys - it leaves the entire front of my body open.

lastly, based on real fights, I don't think the opponent will stand there and wait for all the strikes to hit their mark.

My two cents.
Respectfully,
The Chosen One

November 5th, 2010, 9:57 pm #6

was it just me, I don't have it handy, but did the person applying the technique leave his groin open to the attacker in the beginning?

I'd have to look again at the grocery store but thought you might have it handy there.
I didn't read the article, I saw the cover of the mag. I learned the tech in the late 1980's. My teacher taught it with the preface of twin, simultaneous ridge hands to the lower ribs. I didn't care for the ridge hands and have since taught the preface as twin, simultaneous leopard punches to lower ribs.

November 5th, 2010, 10:18 pm #7

It is a pretty technique when done sharply.
The guys on the Casa de Kenpo youtube clip do it nicely - fast and clean (btw, this is not an endorsement).

But, I generally don't like techniques that involve symmetrical striking (i.e. using both arms simultaneously to do the same movement).

I am a proponent of alternating strikes so that I always have a hand near my face for protection.

In the technique, I don't like the movement after the initial double eye poke - windmilling arms to grab groin - I just don't think that the opponents arms can be pinned securely. Also, I don't like the third movement which places both arms behind the opponent to strike kidneys - it leaves the entire front of my body open.

lastly, based on real fights, I don't think the opponent will stand there and wait for all the strikes to hit their mark.

My two cents.
Respectfully,
The Chosen One
...the technique is not good for reality. First off there is a reason part of the name is "Sacrifice." There are no checks and you put yourself in a vulnerable position more than once. Not to mention, do you really think you are going to pull off a double palm strike to the groin? The guy would have to have gonads the size of watermelons to pull that off.

So, I agree with your post.

November 5th, 2010, 10:36 pm #8

Why or why not?
Blinding Sacrifice is not my favorite technique but if someone were to make it work it would be Eddie Downey. He is extremely strong as well as very fast. He has a fighting background so he has the clarity under pressure to make techniques work. Before we became close friends I watched him test for his 5th degree in Baltimore during the 90`s. He is a real kenpo blackbelt who can take it as well as dish it out. I have a lot of respect for his skill level.
Bob White

November 5th, 2010, 11:11 pm #9

Why or why not?
Now this is a technique I would prefix with a kick to the groin .....if I was on the receiving end, the defender is wide open for it!!!!!

I would rather give them my wallet, my Wife, my grandkids....even bend over, rather than attempt to pull that off in the mystical streets!!!!!

Rank it second on my least favorite techniqes list....Snakes of Wisdom ranks first...

Talk about setting patterns...

Just my opinion

Rich

November 6th, 2010, 4:18 am #10

...the technique is not good for reality. First off there is a reason part of the name is "Sacrifice." There are no checks and you put yourself in a vulnerable position more than once. Not to mention, do you really think you are going to pull off a double palm strike to the groin? The guy would have to have gonads the size of watermelons to pull that off.

So, I agree with your post.
Did you learn anything from this technique?

This technique reminds me of two techniques found in the Yang Family Traditional Long Form...