KENPO UNIVERSITY

KENPO UNIVERSITY

March 1st, 2011, 9:16 pm #1

Hello All,
Dave Todd will be running his Kenpo University on March 19th saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Counterstrike Kenpo/Premier Martial Arts in northeast philadelphia. The fee for this event is only $30.00!!! Dave Todd will be covering Purple belt curriculum during this University session. All affiliations are welcome!
215-677-5425 to register
-David Pantano
www.counterstrikekenpo.com
Last edited by cstrike1 on March 1st, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2011, 11:00 pm #2

Is there more information on the Kenpo University online? I'd like to learn more, any general topics being covered? Is it tailored to the attendees or more geared to stick to a program?

I checked out your website and saw you came from a boxing background! I started with boxing too!

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the university

March 3rd, 2011, 8:04 pm #3

hello,
yes, i did boxing for about 4 years and loved it. I make sure all of my students punch like boxers or close to it as well. as far as the university,go to facebook and look up dave todd, hit him up for the info, there is also an invite page for the event

March 4th, 2011, 3:33 pm #4

I, too, was a boxer and in my opinion nobody punches better than boxers. I agree with you David in that I also teach my students to punch like boxers. Boxing is great, in my view.

March 4th, 2011, 3:37 pm #5

hello,
yes, i did boxing for about 4 years and loved it. I make sure all of my students punch like boxers or close to it as well. as far as the university,go to facebook and look up dave todd, hit him up for the info, there is also an invite page for the event
I will look it up : )

March 4th, 2011, 7:19 pm #6

I, too, was a boxer and in my opinion nobody punches better than boxers. I agree with you David in that I also teach my students to punch like boxers. Boxing is great, in my view.
not to take this off topic too much, maybe I should have made a separate post?

anyway, what sort of drills do you integrate from boxing & Kenpo? would you share a little of your approach? I'm always interested in expanding my skills and am passionate about boxing and Kenpo.

in case you're interested,

I've been incorporating old boxing stuff while I practice my Kenpo, example

yellow belt technique list, 3 times each, then,
speed bag for 2 songs, then,
orange belt tech list x 3, then,
speed bag

I am going to put up a string down my hallway and work slipping drills with my Kenpo foot manuevers, step through forward, reverse. push drag, drag push, etc. just need to get some string.

anyway, anything you want to share? maybe I'll start a new thread if it would be of interest..?

March 5th, 2011, 4:08 pm #7

Boxing is pretty much hitting bags, focus mitts and doing a bunch of cardio...

You do the hitting of things as a rule and also spar when you get to that phase...Need a good trainer to be honest, if you are not self motivated...

Gary

March 5th, 2011, 9:20 pm #8

you always need a trainer. I have been trained by some of the greatest boxers in history. Jack Dempsy, Joe Lewis ect..

I simply channel them through with a Ouji board.

Funny how when I take my antipsychotic medication nothing comes through. I don't know why..

March 6th, 2011, 9:11 pm #9

Do you have vivid dreams???

I have been dreaming more since I used Provent for apnea...
http://www.proventtherapy.com/
Did not like it, so I quit using them...

I just get a good dvd, or watch a u-tube, that is fine for me, now...
Hit the bags, sticks and do weights...

Boxing on HBO last night was a good lesson, watching youngster Saul Alvarez...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%C3%BAl_%C3%81lvarez

Gary

March 7th, 2011, 11:25 pm #10

not to take this off topic too much, maybe I should have made a separate post?

anyway, what sort of drills do you integrate from boxing & Kenpo? would you share a little of your approach? I'm always interested in expanding my skills and am passionate about boxing and Kenpo.

in case you're interested,

I've been incorporating old boxing stuff while I practice my Kenpo, example

yellow belt technique list, 3 times each, then,
speed bag for 2 songs, then,
orange belt tech list x 3, then,
speed bag

I am going to put up a string down my hallway and work slipping drills with my Kenpo foot manuevers, step through forward, reverse. push drag, drag push, etc. just need to get some string.

anyway, anything you want to share? maybe I'll start a new thread if it would be of interest..?
I don't really do it in that manner. We do a lot of boxing type workouts - agility drills, bag work, focus mitt, partner interaction training, and sparring. When I teach sparring, I teach boxing and kickboxing (based out of Joe Lewis Fighting Systems).

I teach young children more of the point oriented Kenpo sparring and I teach adults boxing and kickboxing, because that is what works in full-contact. You won't find outward, inward, upward and downward blocks in boxing for a reason - you would get your butt handed to you if you attempted one of those goofy blocks.

I teach a lot of head movement drills, body movement drills and foot movement drills. I teach that timing, distancing and rhythm - primarily broken rhythm - are what rule a fight situation (primarily talking sport - boxing, kickboxing, MMA). What happens if you aren't as fast as your opponent? Or, you don't hit as hard? You need to master timing, distancing and rhythm to have the upper hand.