Kenpo for Life

Kenpo for Life

May 13th, 2009, 7:11 pm #1

Just out of curiosity, are there any members on this forum that can say "Kenpo saved my life"? I'm talking if not for your knowledge and training, you would be dead from a knife, gun, gang attack. This also includes LEO and military. Stories, circumstances, and thoughts appreciated. For me, it's saved my life twice, three if you include standing there with a shotgun in your face while being robbed and being smart enough to let them take the money.

May 13th, 2009, 8:43 pm #2

I am not sure if it saved my life, but I certainly know I walked away unscathed. I was in my apartment about 20 years ago, when I was home and a crack addict came through an open window on the first floor of my apartment. I had come home from work about 3am and had only a few hours sleep. I heard noises, blinds shuttering, but I thought it was the cat. Then a few seconnds later, I got up because I heard noises. I was fully prepared to kick the cat across the room, when I saw a shadow of a figure in my kitchen. It was 6am and I only had a few hours sleep but the second he turned the corner, I decked him, through a thrusting sidekick, that had to shatter his knee. I then pushed a glass table top against his neck. Somehow, He then got up, jumped through the window and got away. I was in my underware, or I probably would have went after him. It was winter, snow on the ground. Its amazing when a person is on drugs that they can continue. Its all in the basics! Right cross, thrusting sidekick! Would I do anything different now, as a more seasoned kenpoist? Probably wouldnt have given him the opportunity to get away, but it probably was for the best. I didnt sleep very well for a few months after that. What I think Kenpo or any other martial arts training does is allow one to not think so much and react with all the training. Muscle memory certainly is why we spend hours in the school training.

May 14th, 2009, 1:12 am #3

Just out of curiosity, are there any members on this forum that can say "Kenpo saved my life"? I'm talking if not for your knowledge and training, you would be dead from a knife, gun, gang attack. This also includes LEO and military. Stories, circumstances, and thoughts appreciated. For me, it's saved my life twice, three if you include standing there with a shotgun in your face while being robbed and being smart enough to let them take the money.
I feel Kenpo can save lives even if it is not in a CQC type of situation. Just the knowledge alone can help you avoid trouble, walk with a confidence
that makes one less of a target.

On yet another level it can save lives by keeping a person busy training rather then being in the wrong places at the wrong times.

On yet another level Kenpo can make you a protector
you may find your self working in situations where
you save lives by risking your own.

I find on so many levels that Kenpo is a life saver and or at the very least a positive addition to a life lived.

As an instructor imagine how many lives can be changed for the better and how many of those may pass on some Kenpo wisdom that may save yet another and so on. Reminds me of the pebble in the water.

Kenpo has saved my life in so many ways and in so many situations, now I owe it "Kenpo" to keep working on it and to understand it better and to try to do a better job of avoiding trouble, that in the early years I some times secretly hoped for...

May 14th, 2009, 12:33 pm #4

...I was out in Dublin for a night with a friend of mine some years ago. It was pre-mobile phone days and he had to make a call. We found a phonebox on Westmoreland Street(for anyone who knows Dublin) which had been suitably vandalised as it had no door on it. My buddy went in to make his call and I just hung back a bit to give him some privacy. Next thing a guy came up to him in the box and started hasseling him for money so I went to try and diffuse the situation. Before I knew it I was grabbed from behind and thrown in to the phonebox beside the other one,which conviently for our would be muggers also had no bloody door.
The guy stood with his left hand on my chest and was was shouting and roaring at me.I was trying to stay as calm as possible while trying to also keep an eye on my buddy who was not a fighter. The guy suddenly moved his right hand to the back of his belt. I wasn't hanging round to find out what he was gonna pull so I hit him square between the eyes with a heelpalm as hard as I could and followed with a swift kick to the town halls (rhyming slang, I'm sure you can work it out) with my nice Doc Martin boots, I was a rocker at the time.
The guy hit the ground so hard that the other attacker completly forgot about what he was trying to do and turnrd tail. I grabbed my buddy and said lets get the %&*$ out of here quick before he comes back with reinforcements. I looked down at the guy bent in 2 on the ground and saw a knife lying beside him.
Was he going to stick it in me, who knows but I'm glad I didn't wait to find out. I haven't thought about that situation in a long time but Kenpo certainly saved me a lot of pain if not saving my life that night.

Regards
Darren Mahony
Last edited by DarrenMahony on May 14th, 2009, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2009, 11:17 pm #5

I feel Kenpo can save lives even if it is not in a CQC type of situation. Just the knowledge alone can help you avoid trouble, walk with a confidence
that makes one less of a target.

On yet another level it can save lives by keeping a person busy training rather then being in the wrong places at the wrong times.

On yet another level Kenpo can make you a protector
you may find your self working in situations where
you save lives by risking your own.

I find on so many levels that Kenpo is a life saver and or at the very least a positive addition to a life lived.

As an instructor imagine how many lives can be changed for the better and how many of those may pass on some Kenpo wisdom that may save yet another and so on. Reminds me of the pebble in the water.

Kenpo has saved my life in so many ways and in so many situations, now I owe it "Kenpo" to keep working on it and to understand it better and to try to do a better job of avoiding trouble, that in the early years I some times secretly hoped for...
You bring up great points Mr. Ibrahim but in this case, I was just looking at the physical applications of kenpo as a self-defense. Most "good" martial arts instruction will give an individual those same benefits.
I was involved in a "discussion" between a good friend and an irate boyfriend in a KY. Nightclub. It ended up going out into the parking lot. When I tried to separate the two, the boyfriend threw what I thought was an uppercut. I automatically did an inward forearm parry and hit him in the throat. He instantly fell to the ground, which is when I saw the knife lying beside him. I realized later that his back cut caught me as he dropped. It took eight stitches to sew my forearm up but better my forearm than my stomach.