I think...

I think...

June 29th, 2012, 10:29 pm #1

footwork or maneuvers is the most important of basics. Not discounting the others, they're all important, but if I had to choose one as most important, it would be that.

June 30th, 2012, 5:31 pm #2

So, how do we go about educating our lower half on these important basic motions?

I have a few ideas, but I want to know what you have come up with.
Clark

June 30th, 2012, 7:13 pm #3

footwork or maneuvers is the most important of basics. Not discounting the others, they're all important, but if I had to choose one as most important, it would be that.
The heart, liver, stomach and rectum all had an arguement as to which was the most important to the body. The heart stated how important everyone knew it was. The heart said "I shall stop and you will see how important I am". The liver expounded on how no body could live without it and it would shut down proving it's importance to the body. The stomach did the same. They all looked at the rectum and said it was not as important as them. The rectum then simply said "I shall shut down and show you how important I am". The rectum promptly shut down and the body gradually completely backed up and the body died.

June 30th, 2012, 7:22 pm #4

So, how do we go about educating our lower half on these important basic motions?

I have a few ideas, but I want to know what you have come up with.
Clark
I do a lot of things. I work the foot maneuvers up and down the floor in drill form, slowly then quickly. I focus on the footwork when I do freestyle and self defense techniques. Sparring I experiment with different maneuvers to find which ones I prefer for closing the gap or angle adjustments. I also work sweeping and buckling when i've entered that particular stage of action.

I like to work the stance sets. These are good teachers for proper depth and transition.

When I kickbox, I practice, busy feet. Always moving. There you'll find the validity in the shuffles and angle adjustments too. As well as the benefits of good posture, balance, etc., and how it aids your footwork. I like to take kenpo footwork and use it when I kickbox.

I work the reverse bow a lot, it's my prefered defensive measure for shots to the head

I work retreating to the zones of sanctuary a lot by shuffling back on the 45 and landing in a forward bow. It's my primary defense for things like the over hand right to shot for the take down. Shuffling back on the 45 takes me off of the line as well as causes a need for my opponents energy to be adjusted to match the angle, as well as the forward bow provides the bracing angle needed to further stop the takedown.

I think to answer your question i'd say I focus on the footwork. I drill it. It's the only way to really educate yourself on anything. I think part of making kenpo yours is finding what you like in the system and expanding on it in your personal time. Putting in the extra time to learn that specific info or skill set.
I think it's the most important basic because footwork dictates your position to your opponent, footwork in stance changes and shuffles can be used to hurt, they alone can be used to effectively defend yourself by minding the gap, or getting off the line of an attack. Foot work can be used to solidify you, or make you light as air.

June 30th, 2012, 9:26 pm #5

The heart, liver, stomach and rectum all had an arguement as to which was the most important to the body. The heart stated how important everyone knew it was. The heart said "I shall stop and you will see how important I am". The liver expounded on how no body could live without it and it would shut down proving it's importance to the body. The stomach did the same. They all looked at the rectum and said it was not as important as them. The rectum then simply said "I shall shut down and show you how important I am". The rectum promptly shut down and the body gradually completely backed up and the body died.
You continue to demonstrate the proper mindset of a survivalist. Reminding us of open mind nature and continuous application.

July 2nd, 2012, 9:53 am #6

Why do you think that?

Best in Kenpo
Brye Cooper