how many techs are there

how many techs are there

October 2nd, 2007, 1:57 pm #1

How many techs are there in the system 254 base techs?
Perhaps a handfull with varring prefixes,suffixes,grafts,and modifed inserts?
What do you think?

October 2nd, 2007, 2:04 pm #2

What we call base techniques are without extensions. However, the extentions are also a fixed format and should be considered additions to the original base. They are not formulation. They are still "Ideal."

Yours,

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com

October 2nd, 2007, 2:32 pm #3

So out of those base techs how many are the base and how many are varriations of the base?

October 2nd, 2007, 3:17 pm #4

It depends on how you look at it. All the techniques and extensions are all fixed, meaning "Ideal." Technically what are called base techniques are the 154 without the extentions. If you include Intellectual Departure, Spreading Branch and aggressive twins, you have 157 base techniques. I teach these three rather than Alternating Mace(s), Captured Twigs and Sword and Hammer.

The extentions are obviously additions to the base, but are still in a fixed format. So technically the extentions are not a part of the base technique, but they are ideal. As far as variations, there are many. That is the way our system was devised. Many base techniques are varients of others, which is why we have Master Key movements, family related techniques, etc. Some techniques are mixtures of two or more which provide an example of grafting. For instance look at escape from death. You have the other side of obscure wing (minus the lifting elbow and you have grip of death stepping back instead of forward. Perfect example of grafting and variants of other techniques.

Yours,

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com

October 2nd, 2007, 4:39 pm #5

This is very true sir, So within the family groupings we have inside,outside,opposite and reverse motion.
The master key movements relate those groupings.

October 2nd, 2007, 5:45 pm #6

How many techs are there in the system 254 base techs?
Perhaps a handfull with varring prefixes,suffixes,grafts,and modifed inserts?
What do you think?
I would venture that there is 1 technique with everything else being a "what if" to that.

In short, all of the techniques are variations on Delayed Sword.

I'm still working on grasping that fully, but I have seen that in numerous other techs.

Salute,
Brad

October 2nd, 2007, 5:51 pm #7

It depends on how you look at it. All the techniques and extensions are all fixed, meaning "Ideal." Technically what are called base techniques are the 154 without the extentions. If you include Intellectual Departure, Spreading Branch and aggressive twins, you have 157 base techniques. I teach these three rather than Alternating Mace(s), Captured Twigs and Sword and Hammer.

The extentions are obviously additions to the base, but are still in a fixed format. So technically the extentions are not a part of the base technique, but they are ideal. As far as variations, there are many. That is the way our system was devised. Many base techniques are varients of others, which is why we have Master Key movements, family related techniques, etc. Some techniques are mixtures of two or more which provide an example of grafting. For instance look at escape from death. You have the other side of obscure wing (minus the lifting elbow and you have grip of death stepping back instead of forward. Perfect example of grafting and variants of other techniques.

Yours,

Michael Miller, CKF
www.millersdojo.com
I use the motion of the obscure elbow to clear through the armpit to load for the offset sandwich. Speaking of sandwich I'm hungry see ya later.
Brian Phelan

October 2nd, 2007, 5:53 pm #8

I would venture that there is 1 technique with everything else being a "what if" to that.

In short, all of the techniques are variations on Delayed Sword.

I'm still working on grasping that fully, but I have seen that in numerous other techs.

Salute,
Brad
Five swords seems to be in almost everything . Inside ,outside ,top,and bottom. Is it possible to have an opposite ,a reverse, as well asan opposite in reverse?
Brian Phelan
Last edited by liv4kenpo on October 2nd, 2007, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 2nd, 2007, 7:29 pm #9

Great insight sir. So which techs form the # 7 with the foot work, and complete the circle.

Crushing hammer,crashing wings,leaping crane, and ?

October 3rd, 2007, 12:01 am #10

I never really looked for the match in the techniques as the transitions are 2 sided in the forms.Leaping crane,Dominating circles-tripping arrow,crashing wings there are too many to list.
What do you think?
Brian Phelan