From Another Thread

From Another Thread

August 3rd, 2008, 10:15 pm #1

Why is a back chicken kick a BAD idea?

Possible answer, the tendency to bend over, thereby creating a negative body posture. You wouldn't lean backwards during a front kick right? Discuss amongst yourselves, preferably in a separate thread. This one is polluted, and the holes are getting wider.......

That's a great point about the posture, but think you need the bend for counter balance. It doesn't have to be an exaggerated bend but I think it definitely necessary to keep you from being pushed back off the target once you make contact.

But I would definitely use a back chicken kick to gain distance if needed to regain control and to free up a gap to break free.

Thanks for tryin to bring things...Back to Kenpo.

Back to the mats,

Angela

August 3rd, 2008, 11:24 pm #2

however, a classic back kick, the kind with a chamber prior to the kick) you know, those back chicken kicks that are telegraphed from the get go, could be better if done as a mule kick. IMO.

Okay, I remember learning back chicken kicks where we didn't actually make contact with the first kick (whether it was the lead or the rear leg, man this is going to get confusing if we're not careful). The first kick is either a guaging leg or a counter balance for the second kick.

You know, now that I think about it, I still do tend to leave the ground with both feet (very short time, trust me) when I can see that I need to cover more ground than a one foot always on the ground carved into stone, written into blood mantra I talk about periodically. Oh, are you still reading this? There's hope for us yet I guess. Let's see Gary talk trash like I talk trash.

Clark
AKF FOREVER! Kenponet to.

August 4th, 2008, 12:40 am #3

Possible answer, the tendency to bend over, thereby creating a negative body posture. You wouldn't lean backwards during a front kick right? Discuss amongst yourselves, preferably in a separate thread. This one is polluted, and the holes are getting wider.......

That's a great point about the posture, but think you need the bend for counter balance. It doesn't have to be an exaggerated bend but I think it definitely necessary to keep you from being pushed back off the target once you make contact.

But I would definitely use a back chicken kick to gain distance if needed to regain control and to free up a gap to break free.

Back to the mats,

Angela
A back chicken kick? I mean a regular chicken kick is insane enough but a back chicken kick? What the hell are you guys training for? An extras part in the new Crouching Tiger Sleeping Dragon?

And further more back kicks have poor power. One should be doing rear kicks.

August 4th, 2008, 12:43 am #4

Back to the mats,

Angela
Back chicken kicks are a bad idea because "I can't do them, don't think I'll ever be able to and am jealous of anyone that can."

I think that applies to just about everything that others can do that I can't.

And the "I" doesn't really mean "me" it really means anyone who truely feels that way. I'm amazed and awed at some of the things that others can do that I can't do or haven't yet done (acheivments in all fields of endeavors).

August 4th, 2008, 12:47 am #5

A back chicken kick? I mean a regular chicken kick is insane enough but a back chicken kick? What the hell are you guys training for? An extras part in the new Crouching Tiger Sleeping Dragon?

And further more back kicks have poor power. One should be doing rear kicks.
<< What the hell are you guys training for? >>

An environment where I can't move forward or turn around in time to deliver a front snap or roundhouse kick? I'm at my car trying to open it and hear someone running up on me perhaps? Could be lots of uses for them and shouldn't be ruled out entirely because you don't think they'd work.

<< An extras part in the new Crouching Tiger Sleeping Dragon? >>

No but do tell. How won't they work?

<< And further more back kicks have poor power. >>

They do? I know several folks that use them regularly to positive affect who would beg to differ. I see them used in tournaments as well. If the guy ends up on his butt on the ground is that due to lack of power or did he bounce off the other guy's foot?

<< One should be doing rear kicks. >>

Wait...should or should not?

Back to the mats,

Angela
Last edited by kenpoangel on August 4th, 2008, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2008, 12:51 am #6

Back chicken kicks are a bad idea because "I can't do them, don't think I'll ever be able to and am jealous of anyone that can."

And the "I" doesn't really mean "me" it really means anyone who truely feels that way. I'm amazed and awed at some of the things that others can do that I can't do or haven't yet done (acheivments in all fields of endeavors).
Landing on their face is a good lesson, and then stomp them, while they are in the down position is good.

I noticed the crotch kicks while down the other day watching a video with EPS in it, he also liked to grab the area when they were down...WTF... Very telling for sure.

LT hit the deck in that one, on his back and was startled.

Eye cannot trespass and all that stuff. But to mention what occured, will bring ire, I am sure...LOL
Regards,
Gary

August 4th, 2008, 12:52 am #7

An environment where I can't move forward or turn around in time to deliver a front snap or roundhouse kick? I'm at my car trying to open it and hear someone running up on me perhaps? Could be lots of uses for them and shouldn't be ruled out entirely because you don't think they'd work.

They do? I know several folks that use them regularly to positive affect who would beg to differ. I see them used in tournaments as well. If the guy ends up on his butt on the ground is that due to lack of power or did he bounce off the other guy's foot?

Back to the mats,

Angela
about encounter with danger. That's as close to pushin' off a car door as you can get. I tell ya', you make lists and I just want to laugh in your face.

Back kicks are good, Mule kicks are better. Nobody has to teach a mule how to kick, it just lifts a hoof and smacks ya right in the ________________.

Did I tell you the joke about the donkey and his sweaty...... never mind.

Clark

August 4th, 2008, 12:53 am #8

Landing on their face is a good lesson, and then stomp them, while they are in the down position is good.

I noticed the crotch kicks while down the other day watching a video with EPS in it, he also liked to grab the area when they were down...WTF... Very telling for sure.

LT hit the deck in that one, on his back and was startled.

Eye cannot trespass and all that stuff. But to mention what occured, will bring ire, I am sure...LOL
Regards,
Gary

August 4th, 2008, 12:56 am #9

and THEM! watch out for THEM! they're forming alliances and they frown a lot. Other than that, I'm sure they're nice people. Tickle 'em and they giggle, attack 'em and they yell CAT COM didn't teach me how to handle that, I WANT AN IDEAL ATTACK.

I'm not sorry, I can control myself, but this is how I deal with the good people who make lists and form alliances, with good intentions.

Clark
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and I'll buy you a beer.

August 4th, 2008, 1:15 am #10

Back to the mats,

Angela
I was just giving you a hard tim. One should have a knowedge of all kinds of things to do with your body. But I seriously would think that one could hopefull find other options.

As far as your last comment. A back kick and a rear kick are two different kicks. A rear kick is a more powerful kick.