Earned or Deserved... Your Thoughts

Earned or Deserved... Your Thoughts

July 4th, 2008, 1:49 am #1

Through my years (ok... really bad time for a song to get stuck in your head)in Kenpo, Boy Scouts, etc. I have heard and read people stating that so and so "deserved" the rank, award, or whatever was presented to them.

Each time, I have had that feeling you get when someone drags their fingernails down a chalk board.

I truly believe that things like being promoted to a black belt rank, receiving a promotion at work, receiving your Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts)/Gold Badge (Girl Scouts), etc. is something to be earned. To say that you, or anyone else for that matter, "deserve" it seems to detract from the accomplishment.

What are your thoughts on earned or deserved?

Salute,
Brad

July 4th, 2008, 4:18 am #2

As a school teacher, I tell my kids that I don't give grades, I reward performance. They get it. The deserve their grades because they have earned them, whether they are good grades or bad ones, they earned them.

I'm trying to imagine "deserving" something you didn't also "earn" and I'm having a tough time doing it. Someone with a better understanding of semantics will undoubtedly set me straight. Of course, I deserve to be set straight...if I'm wrong.

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

July 4th, 2008, 4:19 am #3

Through my years (ok... really bad time for a song to get stuck in your head)in Kenpo, Boy Scouts, etc. I have heard and read people stating that so and so "deserved" the rank, award, or whatever was presented to them.

Each time, I have had that feeling you get when someone drags their fingernails down a chalk board.

I truly believe that things like being promoted to a black belt rank, receiving a promotion at work, receiving your Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts)/Gold Badge (Girl Scouts), etc. is something to be earned. To say that you, or anyone else for that matter, "deserve" it seems to detract from the accomplishment.

Salute,
Brad
Earned or Deserved......... This all depends upon WHO makes such awards and what is the criteria. Many may say they have "earned" an advancement yet others say they deserve one.... Hell some even twist or distort the truth and offer no proof such as a certificate or anything... (it's secret) they say or "personal". Since these individuals "claim" ranks publicly I feel they should offer proof if asked. If they can't or won't, then I have to say that my BS meter starts to go off! LOL

July 4th, 2008, 10:15 am #4

Salute,
Brad
Sam Ting that is. I believe he was a friend of Mr.Parker. It's like what Mr.Peterson said above. If you work hard at something and EARN what you are rewarded with then you DESERVE it.

Respectfully
Darren Mahony

July 4th, 2008, 11:56 am #5

Salute,
Brad
Thanks to all of you that have responded so far.

I can see the semantics of it now. I also see where to have earned something should mean that you deserve it. I like how the two fit together... first you earn, then by reason of having earned, you deserve.

I guess it bothers me, as Mr. Conatser said, to know that there are people out there who say they deserve it without the proof of having earned it.

Salute,
Brad

July 4th, 2008, 9:36 pm #6

As a school teacher, I tell my kids that I don't give grades, I reward performance. They get it. The deserve their grades because they have earned them, whether they are good grades or bad ones, they earned them.

I'm trying to imagine "deserving" something you didn't also "earn" and I'm having a tough time doing it. Someone with a better understanding of semantics will undoubtedly set me straight. Of course, I deserve to be set straight...if I'm wrong.

Chuck Peterson
i think your yeply was great... i agree and was going to post something similar...

July 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm #7

Thanks. It seems fairly straight forward to me. I think the problem is we have McDonalds telling everyone they deserve a break today and the younger generation starts to think they deserve a lot more too. When my kids earn a belt (or a grade in school) they know they've earned it and they can be proud of it. I don't give out "participation awards".

Chuck Peterson

July 7th, 2008, 8:01 pm #8

Salute,
Brad
I agree that its hard to earn something you dont also deserve.

I think the question is perhaps, how much does "time in grade" mean as it relates to promotion. Or how does one earn a rank?

When something is 'awarded' out of obligation its a little fishy. if you promote someone because you feel you have to do it, then you shouldn't. I also believe that loyalty should be rewarded on top of one's progress and promotions are awarded at the instructors discression, good or bad and no one can do anything about it really.

Progress in skill should be an absolute requirement. If you're active in the MA you should make progress. Time spent training should produce a better MA especially years of decades and if you don't train (and I mean "train"=sweat and take instruction) how could you deserve or earn a promotion? What would it be earned for, hanging around and going to a few camps?

I don't want to sound critical, forgive me if I do, but there's some MA that only teach and haven't dropped a bead of sweat in years.

The skill must be there, based on the instructor's evaluation, because that is whom is gawarding it and no one else, as well as progress in all areas, not just physical MA.

To me, one's character is very important. I wouldn't promote anyone that acted in ways unbecoming a Black Belt, I dont care if they are the best fighter in the universe. to some this sounds unfair and controlling but if its your decision you must do what yu feel is right and if they don't accept your decision they should go elsewhere (and they do). The minute some people's instructors do something they don't like they abandon ship.

No one is perfect, but there is a line.

Don't forget that we're living in the age of self-awarded ranks and "created" styles and not only in Kenpo but MA worldwide so its a new era.

July 7th, 2008, 10:54 pm #9

It is every teachers right to impose whatever requirements they want on a student. But what I have seen is that sometimes students who are weak as fighters or in basics are promoted to black belt in some schools. This is because of them being in for a certain time or because they "Know" the material but do not excecute it up to standard. I mean when a black belt candidate cannot counterpunch that is pretty bad. And also when a black belt candidate has not had the crap beaten out of them a good deal that is pretty sad too. I am very greatful that when I got my blackbelt Mr Nackord did not let me slip by as second rate. But in some schools that is not the case.

July 8th, 2008, 1:02 am #10

I have as you put it Iyg not had the crap beaten out of me a good deal.
Want to come put me through my paces so I will have earned my rank as you seem to insinuate.
Oh ya I forgot to mention, I don't sit still for an ass whuppin.