Another Short 3 Question...

Another Short 3 Question...

October 12th, 2007, 8:13 pm #1

From an adult forms competition standpoint is it acceptable to perform only the right side of short form 3? I have seen vids online of only the right side and was wondering if this was the norm?

Ron

October 12th, 2007, 8:48 pm #2

...there is only one side to Short 3 depending on where you go. Doing the "second" side seems to be a personal preference from instructor to instructor and student to student.

James Hawkins III, SI
Hawkins Kenpo Ju Jitsu
Baltimore, MD
http://www.arnis.org/certification/regi ... awkins.htm
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kenpojujitsu3
http://www.myspace.com/kenpojames
410-948-1440

October 12th, 2007, 10:00 pm #3

From an adult forms competition standpoint is it acceptable to perform only the right side of short form 3? I have seen vids online of only the right side and was wondering if this was the norm?

Ron
I recently took 1st place at a local tournament using short 3 and I only did the right side.

It was mostly TKD guys there but they liked it.

David Strobel
Minnesota Kenpo Karate Studio

October 13th, 2007, 12:31 am #4

Ron
I'm with James. What second side?

Take it out on the heavy bag,

Chuck Peterson
Peterson_charlie@hotmail.com

October 13th, 2007, 12:57 am #5

Uh...could the second side of Short 3 in one way or another be contained in Long Three? I don't know. I'm just thinking this makes sense?

Enjoy the weekend!

October 13th, 2007, 1:58 am #6

I'm with James. What second side?

Chuck Peterson
...provides the misssing diaganol line that travels from 10:30 to 4:40. It is not, however, necessary to complete the motion of the system. Check out how I run short 3 on mvkarate.com under the special view link. I'd appreciate any feedback.

October 13th, 2007, 2:33 am #7

Completes the pattern (x)that started in long 2.The 4:30/10:30 line is the long line Where as it is the 1:30/7:30 line in long 2.There are two left sided techniques ,but only one side per technique at least the way i learned/teach it. To each his own i guess,if you don't care about completing the patterns i guess you can do whatever you want.I couldn't get the video to play on the special view maybe you can post it here or youtube.
Brian Phelan

October 13th, 2007, 3:06 am #8

Ron
Short 3 is the only form where you have to both sides of the form to complete both sides of the techniques. All the other forms cover both sides of techniques as you do the form. Like catagory completion.

October 13th, 2007, 3:12 am #9

Uh...could the second side of Short 3 in one way or another be contained in Long Three? I don't know. I'm just thinking this makes sense?

Enjoy the weekend!
That's pretty much the way I look at it. Obviously, long three has considerable differences from short three besides just adding the other side.

If you do "both" sides of short three, would you simply perform the mirror as when you do the left side of short one or would you incorporate the other side as you go.

When you add the mirror side at the end of short one, it is a form that isn't technique based (yes, I know, you can interpret it that way but the techs aren't from the 154). If you do the same with short 3 - add the mirror at the end, you're doing something completly different from the other technique-based forms (long 3 and up), and adding the mirror afterward rather than incorporating it. On the other hand, if you incorporate the second side into the first, you pretty much have long three so why bother? Did that make any sense at all?

Chuck Peterson

October 13th, 2007, 3:43 am #10

WHAT?