american kenpo and kajukenbo...how are they different?

american kenpo and kajukenbo...how are they different?

January 27th, 2009, 5:35 am #1

...and what simularities do they have?

thanks,
tj

January 27th, 2009, 8:31 am #2

Which form of EPAK? And which branch or method of Kajukenbo?

Sijo Emperado was Prof. Chow's first black belt. His style of Kenpo was very similar to the stuff Ed Parker <em>first</em> brought over to the Main Land back in the early 50's. So if you take <em>that</em> style of Kenpo as a base, blend the techniques of Jujutsu, Judo, Karate, Si lum Kung Fu, and Escrima, you have "Original Method" Kajukenbo. Most techniques start with a "stunning" movement, then a series of strikes, a takedown of some kind (sweep, throw, wrist lock etc.) and then finish them off on the ground. Some branches and methods emphasize the Kung Fu more, or the Jujutsu more or the Karate more etc., but they all have that basic theory that runs through it. EPAK has had so many evolutionary changes, that you'd have to look at each one to determine how similar or different to Kajukenbo they are.

January 27th, 2009, 8:36 am #3

different forms of EPAK. do you mean different organizations?

January 27th, 2009, 8:42 am #4

Not exactly. There were significant changes to the Kenpo that Ed Parker taught over the years. He started with the old Kenpo-Karate that he learned from Chow and Chuck Sullivan still carries that style on from what I understand. Then he went into the "Chinese Kenpo" stage that many in the early to mid 1960's learned, then he further changed things in the 70's and 80's etc. to look more like the EPAK that Tatum etc. practice. So it would more depend on <em>when</em> you learned it from Ed Parker as to what your Kenpo would look like. (If I'm off on any of this, it's because I only know EPAK from the outside and this is what I've been told by others.)
Last edited by Danjo1 on January 27th, 2009, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2009, 1:59 pm #5

...and what simularities do they have?

thanks,
tj
1.Hit harder than Kenpo people.

2.Train harder.

3.Don't self promote.

4.Hit harder than Kenpo people.

5.Believe in K.I.S.S

6.Don't whine.

7.Don't kiss ass

Kajukenbo folks are well rouned fighters. This is because of the diverse arts that make up Kajukenbo.This is why Kajukenbo can be called "The Original Mixed Martial Art". The founders were cross training long before Bruce Lee was.Anyway, just my two cents. Aloha Sibak Dan

January 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm #6

2.Train harder.

3.Don't self promote.

5.Believe in K.I.S.S

6.Don't whine.

7.Don't kiss ass

Kajukenbo folks are well rouned fighters. This is because of the diverse arts that make up Kajukenbo.This is why Kajukenbo can be called "The Original Mixed Martial Art". The founders were cross training long before Bruce Lee was.Anyway, just my two cents. Aloha Sibak Dan

[/IMG]

I'm your Huckleberry!!!

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 via <a href="http://webwarper.net" rel="nofollow"></a>
Last edited by ClydeT on January 27th, 2009, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2009, 3:58 pm #7

2.Train harder.

3.Don't self promote.

5.Believe in K.I.S.S

6.Don't whine.

7.Don't kiss ass

You want to test your theories, I am in southern California, I will be happy to oblige, unless of course your just a loud mouthed troll?

In regards to the original question, I have watched a few Kaju guys and was unimpressed with huge gaps in their ability, I saw guys who like to brawl, but as multiple degree black belts they were mostly brawlers rather then technicians. I saw some good brawlers on the TV fight show, I forgot the name, but from what I understood those guys were from alot of different places.
I have seen some Kaju done in tournaments, and felt it was flashy for the sake of the tournament, similar to what alot of kenpo people do at tournaments. Most of the guys who say they are Kaju that are decent that I met, have actually crosstrained with different instructors that teach Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and Kajukenbo, rather then learning it all in one place, so it makes me wonder what the curriculum is like. I would still like to find a group of good kaju guys to do some sparring with and find out more about their art, but apparantly there are not any places like that in San Diego area.. /shrug

Last edited by LuckyKBoxer on January 27th, 2009, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 27th, 2009, 4:05 pm #8

That you and I are the only ones willing to step up to these guys Dave? I always find that amusing LOL.

BTW Haas73, I'm in Phoenix AZ, if you need a map or an address, let me know.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

[Posted by 66.215.244.139 via http://webwarper.net This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse.
Try: http://webwarper.net/webwarper.exe Example of viewing: http://webwarper.net/ww/www.network54.c ... 60433/post ]

January 27th, 2009, 4:11 pm #9

and most people seem to attach a negative stigma with those that challenge others, and accept challenges. The same people for the most part that label MMA disgusting, Guns dangerous in and of themselves, and their kenpo too deadly to be done for real. I guess that makes us unrefined.../chuckle

I prefer to test my thoughts and ideas in fairly practical situations, meet others that might have something to add, and lose anything that doesn't work for me.

January 27th, 2009, 4:29 pm #10

You want to test your theories, I am in southern California, I will be happy to oblige, unless of course your just a loud mouthed troll?

In regards to the original question, I have watched a few Kaju guys and was unimpressed with huge gaps in their ability, I saw guys who like to brawl, but as multiple degree black belts they were mostly brawlers rather then technicians. I saw some good brawlers on the TV fight show, I forgot the name, but from what I understood those guys were from alot of different places.
I have seen some Kaju done in tournaments, and felt it was flashy for the sake of the tournament, similar to what alot of kenpo people do at tournaments. Most of the guys who say they are Kaju that are decent that I met, have actually crosstrained with different instructors that teach Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and Kajukenbo, rather then learning it all in one place, so it makes me wonder what the curriculum is like. I would still like to find a group of good kaju guys to do some sparring with and find out more about their art, but apparantly there are not any places like that in San Diego area.. /shrug
I found this School on the Kajukebo cafe web-site........

Sifu Bernie Angeles
Montevalle Community Park
MV-Multipurpose Hall 2 & 3
840 Duncan Ranch Road,
Chula Vista, CA 91915
619-691-5083