WSDOT snowfall total?

WSDOT snowfall total?

April 14th, 2011, 4:52 pm #1

The entire season the DOT numbers have been off, and sometimes by a lot. Today they listed the following:

Thu Apr 14 6 in

Says 6" new (was more like 2-3") and I think I heard on the radio they are claiming around 450" for the season which is far more then what has actually fallen (I have in the 360's). I'm sure our tax dollars are spending quite a bit to have these totals gathered, you would think they could at least be somewhat accurate. I think someone is sitting in Seattle looking at the DOT cam and guessing snow totals.

In a recent article on KOMO the DOT posts their snow totals from the past and for the years I've been counting the grand totals have been fairly close, within 10"-20" until the last 2 years and this season. 2 years ago the DOT reported 100" more then I did and last year 110" more. So far this season they are around 90" ahead of me so I wonder what they are doing different the past 3 seasons. Even the ski area totals are lower then the DOT on a daily basis and we all know they usually will exaggerate on the heavy end.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on April 14th, 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barb Q.
Barb Q.

April 14th, 2011, 10:04 pm #2

As of today I have shoveled 376" (and counting--it's dumping again!)In the past years we've been well over 450" but not this year--yet! FYI

Jack
Jack

April 15th, 2011, 3:58 am #3

Nice batch of new snow that fell today. I just picked up a new long board and I'm itching to take it for a spin in the morning on this fresh powder! Thanks to Ed for finding it on Craigslist, got myself a LibTech Doughboy Shredder 193!!