Untitled

Untitled

Curious
Curious

August 19th, 2009, 4:11 am #1

Has anyone heard if there has been any decisions regarding opening the little chair for this season? I am trying to decide if I want to purchase a season pass this year for my family and this would definitely be the deciding factor. I have spoken to MANY other families who feel the same as we do. If they opened the little chair we would go ahead and purchase the pass. Could someone from the Summit respond? It would be much appreciated!

TomK
TomK

August 19th, 2009, 11:53 pm #2

Summit's customer service number is 1-877-881-2447
Their email is summitstore@summiti90.com

Since it's a concern for you, it would be worth it to give them a shout to see what they say.
Let us know what you hear.

Seems like it'd be pretty unlikely due to the very low (even negative?) return vs the operating expenses.
No crossover access via Silver Fir, no upper hill lift served, just a beginner's slope similar to what's available at West and Central, but without access to anything else. Honestly it just does not seem like a viable idea, even as a loss-leader.

August 20th, 2009, 12:20 am #3

I think the lower crossover trail will be open to give nordic access to lift service to the upper slopes. The lodge will still be open for Nordic and if the season is good and over crowded beginner chairs happens then maybe they will run it in Jan/Feb during peak season. I think it is unlikely just because of the condition of the mtn near the road with still a pile of stumps and the new access road they made for removal of the Keechelus load area (scheduled to be removed next season).

This is the first season I will not be buying a season pass since 1994. W/O lift service at Hyak it makes no sense for me to buy a pass. Alpental gets too crowded and West/Central is rather boring... I'll hike Hyak and have fun on the open slopes, and stay in shape too!!

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Joe Skier
Joe Skier

August 26th, 2009, 7:54 pm #4

Im not buying passes for my family either To bad for the Summit, of course customer service hasnt really been a concern of theirs for years

Sully
Sully

August 27th, 2009, 9:23 pm #5

It is estimated with all the home and condo owners that the area will be out about 500 to 1000 season passes this year becuase of Hyak not opening. The area will be losing somewhere between 240,000 to about 480,000 dollars this season alone because of that fact. That doesn't take in account of all the daily tickets that are bought by friends and family coming up for a day of skiing. With it going to be an el nino year, the owners should of done anything they can to get season passes sold in case there is little snow this winter. I can see it now, because of an el nino year and season passes down, it will just be another excuse next year not to put in the new chairs. This is the first time my family of 7 will not be buying season passes this year since 1980.

August 28th, 2009, 12:15 am #6

Not to sound like I'm on the ski area's side, but don't forget that your '04-'05 season pass was honored for the '05-'06 season.

I already bought my season pass for 2009-2010 because I do a lot of skiing at Alpental and Silver Fir. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more skinning up Hyak this season too.

August 28th, 2009, 3:32 pm #7

If the ski area looses as much cash this year as stated, it would be more of an incentive to repair the area for next year. If they did not suffer any $$$ loss because the area were closed then they would have more incentive NOT to fix it. Last year I rode maybe 6 or 7 times with my season pass since Alpental is too crowded and Silver Fir is too boring. I'd guess 4 of 7 uses of the pass was at Alpental after March when the crowds were less...

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Sully
Sully

August 28th, 2009, 10:40 pm #8

Not to sound like I'm on the ski area's side, but don't forget that your '04-'05 season pass was honored for the '05-'06 season.

I already bought my season pass for 2009-2010 because I do a lot of skiing at Alpental and Silver Fir. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more skinning up Hyak this season too.
Yes I remember they honored the season pass, but you have to remember that was under different ownership. There is no way boyne will do the same. They have a completely different way of running their businesses. Everyone has to remember they have out of state resorts as well. Because the other resorts did so poorly this year that is the reason we didn't get any new chairs. We can only hope that the el nino year will benefit the other resorts which will benefit our local resorts no matter what our season is like in the norhtwest.

Randy
Randy

October 14th, 2009, 7:12 pm #9

Just wanted to let you know that Dan B. did a lot of hard sell to get that from Boyne.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

October 14th, 2009, 7:28 pm #10

If the PDO's effect holds true, our chances of a good, snowy winter are pretty good... as are our chances for more of the same for the next decade or so. I you look back at the pattern from the 50's and 60",s we were snowy then, and (maybe) we will be again! If so, we'll get the chairs we want and need.