Season end gamble

Season end gamble

Hope
Hope

March 21st, 2011, 2:02 am #1

Hey Jack
I liked the opening Hyak date guess board you posted. Don't think there were any correct guesses.Would anyone care to guess on closing date? I myself am a patroller and as I see it the end will be April 10th. After the Holy Oly. Talked to a couple of people who said somewhere the Summit web said MAY!! Couldn't find any info to confirm that.

Jack
Jack

March 21st, 2011, 1:52 pm #2

I see Hyak closing after the Holy Oly...no chance they will extend to May, we don't have enough snow this year. I'm sure they will try to keep Alpental going til May 5th again which would be fun.

March 21st, 2011, 4:50 pm #3

I was at Hyak Saturday afternoon in line with a patroller waiting for the lift to get restarted in Hidden Valley. A tech arrived on a sled and over heard me talking and said all operations would be done mid April including Alpental.

Not the news I was wanting to hear especially since they closed early last year to fix chair 2.

Nothing official but........

Sully
Sully

March 21st, 2011, 5:08 pm #4

Crystal mountain just announced they hope to stay open until September. I think they are nuts but they hope all of us will go ski crystal instead.

March 21st, 2011, 7:42 pm #5

I saw that on the news, about trying to keep Crystal open in September. I don't see any way that would be possible.... Crystal is not Mt Baker, they don't get that much snow. Even Chinook Pass gets thin in August and they get more snow then Crystal.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

Hyakian
Hyakian

March 21st, 2011, 8:42 pm #6

4/28 thru 6/12 Crystal will have spring skiing open mostly on the weekends. 35-50 bucks depending on the amount of lifts open. OR you can buy their spring pass! After that they'll be open for hiking, biking and summit house dinners. Crystal open for skiing or boarding any later than early June isn't part of the plan.

Sully
Sully

March 21st, 2011, 8:44 pm #7

I saw that on the news, about trying to keep Crystal open in September. I don't see any way that would be possible.... Crystal is not Mt Baker, they don't get that much snow. Even Chinook Pass gets thin in August and they get more snow then Crystal.

Well we have heard that hyak and alpental will be the last to close. Forcing people to ski hyak will only generate more interest I believe. We consistently have been just as busy as the other areas and a few times even more. I bet anything we open earlier every year now. Hyak has had more kids up there than ever and the area finally realized what a family place it is. We all have known it forever.

March 21st, 2011, 9:53 pm #8

4/28 thru 6/12 Crystal will have spring skiing open mostly on the weekends. 35-50 bucks depending on the amount of lifts open. OR you can buy their spring pass! After that they'll be open for hiking, biking and summit house dinners. Crystal open for skiing or boarding any later than early June isn't part of the plan.
I think that NWCN needs to be clued in on the difference between spring extended skiing and summer operation. Would be fun to ride the Gondola up in the summer.

March 22nd, 2011, 9:50 pm #9

Well we have heard that hyak and alpental will be the last to close. Forcing people to ski hyak will only generate more interest I believe. We consistently have been just as busy as the other areas and a few times even more. I bet anything we open earlier every year now. Hyak has had more kids up there than ever and the area finally realized what a family place it is. We all have known it forever.
West seems to be closed for the season and this is the last week the lights will burn at Acres.

The snowpack is excellent and I hope they do run Alpy long they seem to like going on a"week by week" basis, so I think it's too early to panic. I'd be surprised if The Yak ran longer than Acres, because the skate park is a proven money-maker.

Also, it looks official: the Pig Chair won't turn a lick in 2011. I wonder if the resort recompensates the ski schools for not operating???

Crystal Mtn. has a brand-new gondoobola and I'm sure they want to run it up to the restaurant as long as possible into the summer. Who wouldn't? From there, it's easy to operate the Green Valley chair, and REX for as long as they can. (They have long demonstrated their willingness to turn chairlifts over skimpy snowpack.) I'll bet REX runs through April and Green Valley through June.

After that, I'll see you at Mt. Hood, Oregon. The Muir Snowfield is on the agenda too.

Mikey

Mikey

March 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm #10

The pigs are hanging out at Hyak, no need for compensation since there are plenty of lifts to ride. Hyak will operate at least through April 10 because the Holy Oly is April 9th. I've heard Alpental will close on April 17th but I hope that is incorrect. Would be nice to ride into May again.