Historic building to be torn down

Historic building to be torn down

May 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm #1

The 70+ year old building that used to be the fire station is going to be torn down by the Forest Service. The reason, 'just because'. The FS will not allow the building to be rented by anyone other then a public utility and no public entity will rent old buildings when they have tax money to build new ones. Most likely it will end up being a parking lot for the ski area.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997

May 11th, 2012, 7:34 pm #2

That building is under lease for the I-90 construction for the next several years, but it will be a sad day indeed if they tear it down.

Mikey

May 11th, 2012, 7:39 pm #3

That is good news if it was leased. Last I heard it was to be torn down because they couldn't find a public entity to lease it. I see dumpsters arriving on site so it appeared they were getting ready to rip it down. Would be nice if it were used for a business like what they did with the old travelers rest building, which was also on the chopping block at one point.

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on May 11th, 2012, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erik
Erik

May 14th, 2012, 6:07 pm #4

While others will certainly have more accurate details, I think the building is in really hard shape having been in it a number of times. There are probably some nasty things (asbestos?) lurking in the walls and ceilings.

It would be great is someone could afford to buy and re-hab it, but my guess that it wouldn't make sense from a $$$ standpoint.

Patti's Husband
Patti's Husband

May 15th, 2012, 3:51 am #5

It's a tired building but it will be hanging around another few years. If there is anyone interested in saving it they will need to work with the Forest Service.

May 15th, 2012, 1:51 pm #6

The Forest service will not allow anyone to purchase or lease the building for business from what I hear. There are only 3 historic building left on top of the pass that were built in the 1930's and I have seen old buildings in far worse shape fixed up. Just look how bad the Travelers Rest was back in the late 90's compared to what it is now.