DOT snow depth....

DOT snow depth....

February 5th, 2009, 4:37 pm #1

Interesting what the DOT site says today.

Date New Snow Snow Depth

Thu Feb 05 0 in 120 in

Wed Feb 04 0 in 47 in

Tue Feb 03 0 in 47 in

Mon Feb 02 0 in 48 in

Sun Feb 01 0 in 48 in

Hyak Ski and Snowboard Adventure
On the World-Wide-Web since 1997
Last edited by hyak on February 5th, 2009, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mel
mel

February 6th, 2009, 4:05 am #2

120 inches?

Wishful thinking?

EdS
EdS

February 6th, 2009, 2:18 pm #3

Yeah, the 40" level seems about right. Looking at the forecast for the next week it really is looking pretty grim as far a any significant snow. I am starting tho think this may be a wash out year now we lost all that base. Anyone seen long term forecasts for the rest of the month? At this rate the season will be over in mid march.

February 6th, 2009, 5:17 pm #4

I'm thinking this is one of those winters we will want to forget about. I hope for a good March to save our spring riding, but like Ed said, this season looks to be a dud.

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy

February 6th, 2009, 5:44 pm #5

To give up hope. We ALWAYS have a high pressure ridge that develops sometime in January/February. Sometimes it last 2 weeks, sometimes 6. I don't think this will be an Epic year, but we are WAY better off than some of the really bad years.

The big rains were a huge help. If all that dry snow had been allowed to slowly evaporate/consolidate/slide away, the hills would be in really sad shape now- except for Hyak of course.

I predict the jet stream coming back our way sometime next week and hanging around until mid-April. The snow will last longer than the mountains will be open- especially since people were (somewhat) burned-out by the winter weather by January 1st this year!

Signed,
Your Hyak Board Contrarian

Kyle Sullivan
Kyle Sullivan

February 6th, 2009, 7:14 pm #6

Just heard last night on the weather channel that this high pressuse is weakening and we are actually sliding into a more la nina type of weather for the rest of the winter and spring. They are predicting a colder and wetter weather pattern for the rest of the ski season in the northwest.

EdS
EdS

February 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm #7

Lets hope your right, I hate to see it wither away like it is now. Was just up at the pass and it was raining and 38 degrees.

February 6th, 2009, 10:19 pm #8

I just got back to work from Hyak and as I was leaving it was changing to snow. I hope the SN is falling and we can get a couple inches of snow.