Young's Modulus

Young's Modulus

March 19th, 2012, 7:56 pm #1

So I hit Wikipeida for a quick lesson.....

Their entry for that then references Hook's Law, and introduces the fact of Stress and Strain being different forces, then causually tosses out "Poisson's Ratio..." (which Ive not run down yet.... fearing some other tangent that needs to be understood first)

You look at some of "higher level" equations that are presented as part of the Wiki article, and think, doesnt look that hard..... then read the legend, and realize you will have to have calculated several other factor _before_ starting Young's math..... So if you dont know what all the components are before you start.....

Isnt there a "Mechanical engineering for dummies" out here somewhere? Having some of this back ground materail, at least at an intellectual level, would add a lot to the building expereince, but Holy Order of Precedence Batman, it seems like a bottomless pit.......  

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

March 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm #2

March 19th, 2012, 8:47 pm #3

Their entry for that then references Hook's Law, and introduces the fact of Stress and Strain being different forces, then causually tosses out "Poisson's Ratio..." (which Ive not run down yet.... fearing some other tangent that needs to be understood first)

You look at some of "higher level" equations that are presented as part of the Wiki article, and think, doesnt look that hard..... then read the legend, and realize you will have to have calculated several other factor _before_ starting Young's math..... So if you dont know what all the components are before you start.....

Isnt there a "Mechanical engineering for dummies" out here somewhere? Having some of this back ground materail, at least at an intellectual level, would add a lot to the building expereince, but Holy Order of Precedence Batman, it seems like a bottomless pit.......  

Huh? Oh sorry fell asleep at the keyboard. Higher mathmatics were never my strong suit. I could never get past the part about pie are square.
Anybody knows pie are round and cornbread are square!!!

I plink, therefore I am.

March 19th, 2012, 8:48 pm #4

March 19th, 2012, 10:00 pm #5

Huh? Oh sorry fell asleep at the keyboard. Higher mathmatics were never my strong suit. I could never get past the part about pie are square.
Anybody knows pie are round and cornbread are square!!!

I plink, therefore I am.
is a cobbler. At least at gramma's house....

March 19th, 2012, 10:25 pm #6

When I was in my college days I wanted to be a fighter pilot, better yet I wanted to build fighter jets. I decided to go to Aeronautical Engineering school. Since I had no job, and my parents made very little money, or at least not enough to send me to the very few aero schools around, the next best thing was to go to India (where I am from) and study there since it was so cheap, but the education top class. BIG MISTAKE! I got there and found out that students there where very competitive and studied a lot. Some of the kids in high school there knew more than I ever could imagine. Remember these kids couldn't even afford food to eat on a regular basis. Since in India you can get free education as long as your grade scores are in the top tier, most of the kids fight for good grades like its the end of their lives! Anyway, I couldn't keep up, and I eventually dropped out after 3 months (yes it was that hard!) I would come back to the dorm after 8 hours of class, and all I wanted was a beer and to relax. The kids there, would come back home and study till 2 or 3 in the morning!

Anyway what i really wanted to say is, it doesn't matter what your after, just keep gaining knowledge, you'll learn things that didn't have to do with anything, but at least you know now. When it comes to building things from Fighter Jets to airguns, its never just one person who does it all....its a collective sharing of knowledge that brings it out. But I know what you are saying....Sometimes you get knee deep in trying to learn something about another thing and then all of a sudden your en expert on kitchen degreasers lol!

I remember when I got my first pcp, I took it apart and I wanted to lube it with wd-40! Just because I had the insight ask someone before I tried this, i prevented what could have been a possible explosion due to heat of the air in the pressurized tube that would react to the flammability of the lubrication....phew!

March 19th, 2012, 10:55 pm #7

and thats part of the fun...... but I can burn an evening running down the side alleys that wikipedia will throw at ya or working thru the math.

Thos that study this stuff, get started at the lowest level. and build on the knowledge they gain, and its not as expansive as it appears when somebeody like me jumps in at a specific spot

Stress and strain are different, and now in retrospect (of the last 6 hours or so) those concepts are probably 2nd semester freshman stuff...... Matter of perspective  

March 20th, 2012, 1:29 am #8

March 20th, 2012, 8:48 am #9

Freshman algebra was the worst three years of my life. n/t

March 20th, 2012, 11:32 am #10

What velocity and pressure are needed for Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson to change into Batman and Robin without taking their hands off the batpoles while sliding down the batpoles from stately Wayne Manor into the Batcave?

I plink, therefore I am.