Where could I get a 14" barrel for a MKII target?

Where could I get a 14" barrel for a MKII target?

October 27th, 2010, 4:56 pm #1

#1: I have a bone stock near mint MKII target pistol that I would like to get a 14" barrel in .177 for it. If I needed a .22 barrel I would just get a LD conversion or get the barrel from Mac1 but I need one preferably a drop in fit one unshrouded in .177 in medium to decent quality. Any ideas?

#2: Also what kind of velocity (on high power) do you think I would get on a fairly warm day on powerlets with a 8.4 grain or so pellet?

#3: My next question would be if no one can think of anyone who has a drop in fit one for sale could I say use a MROD barrel and having a competent machinist machine it up to fit and if so roughly how long in hours do you think that might take?

Thanks

October 27th, 2010, 8:48 pm #2

I would try Tim anyway. I think he uses HW barrels for the LD. He probably could fix one up in .177 if you asked or at least tell you why it is not a good idea if it isn't. I think he has done some .20s in the past.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

October 28th, 2010, 2:01 pm #3

#1: I have a bone stock near mint MKII target pistol that I would like to get a 14" barrel in .177 for it. If I needed a .22 barrel I would just get a LD conversion or get the barrel from Mac1 but I need one preferably a drop in fit one unshrouded in .177 in medium to decent quality. Any ideas?

#2: Also what kind of velocity (on high power) do you think I would get on a fairly warm day on powerlets with a 8.4 grain or so pellet?

#3: My next question would be if no one can think of anyone who has a drop in fit one for sale could I say use a MROD barrel and having a competent machinist machine it up to fit and if so roughly how long in hours do you think that might take?

Thanks
A gunsmith should be able to machine an M-rod barrel for around $50.00 . They mostly do custom "one-off" alterations, and so that would be pretty much standard fair for them.
A machine shop is mostly concerned with doing a number of parts, and would usually be much more expensive for doing something like a barrel alteration, though it might take less then an hour to do.
It's a matter of overhead costs, a machine shop generally has equipment that costs many times more then the gun smith's equipment cost.

October 29th, 2010, 3:13 am #4

Thanks
to fit up and fit a barrel to a Crosman Mk II

would you be donating the shroud or keeping it intact?

Walter....

October 29th, 2010, 7:43 pm #5

A gunsmith should be able to machine an M-rod barrel for around $50.00 . They mostly do custom "one-off" alterations, and so that would be pretty much standard fair for them.
A machine shop is mostly concerned with doing a number of parts, and would usually be much more expensive for doing something like a barrel alteration, though it might take less then an hour to do.
It's a matter of overhead costs, a machine shop generally has equipment that costs many times more then the gun smith's equipment cost.
"A gunsmith should be able to machine an M-rod barrel for around $50.00 ."
Appears to me that you place very little value on the time and skills of a gunsmith/machinist spending an hour or two to machine, and fit an extended barrel to a Mark II.

However, you seem to have a very over-rated opinion of the value of your own time:
"I charge an extra $50 on top of actual shipping cost to send out of country."
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/t ... sman+part-

I'd venture to say that Walter's estimate is far more realistic.
Last edited by leonardj on October 29th, 2010, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 1st, 2010, 11:33 am #6

My local gunsmith charges $40 an hour. He could easily eat up $50 just setting up his machinery.

I plink, therefore I am.

November 1st, 2010, 2:31 pm #7

Appears to me that you place very little value on the time and skills of a gunsmith/machinist spending an hour or two to machine, and fit an extended barrel to a Mark II.

However, you seem to have a very over-rated opinion of the value of your own time:

your input is always so appreciated.

1. There is a full time gunsmith a few miles from my place, he charges $35 and hour.

2. There is about 5 min of set up time on the lathe to do anything I want to a Crosman barrel.

3. I would certainly adapt the barrel for $50. I would not supply the barrel for that price.

4. I have since found a better way to ship out of country and the charge for doing so has been correspondingly lowered.

5. Unless you personally have experience doing something or having it done for you, then adding your two cents worth is not even worth a penny.

November 1st, 2010, 3:02 pm #8

The estimate was ONLY for work to the barrel, not for fitting and testing on the gun.
The original poster asked about a "drop in" barrel.

For the whole job, with parts and labor, testing and turn around shipping, I also think the estimate Walter came up with is pretty accurate.

jz2

November 1st, 2010, 8:48 pm #9

to fit up and fit a barrel to a Crosman Mk II

would you be donating the shroud or keeping it intact?

Walter....
but Tim McM is resealing a Mk 1 for me and adding the hot valve. Doing it that way because I have an LD, and want to shoot it some more to decide how I'd like the second LD set up. cost to add the his barrel to the modified Mk 1, about 175 including the cost of barrel.

November 2nd, 2010, 1:06 am #10

I don't know what Tim's barrels cost him, but the Lothar / Walther barrels are $110.00 + shipping. The L/W then has to be machined for whatever purpose, and then has to be finished ( as in bluing ) .
Tim's price is very good.
And from the experience I had this last weekend, got to shoot a USFT, they are very good barrels indeed.

All I was saying, was that in my own anecdotal experience, the local gunsmith would charge $35 an hour. It takes a bit less then an hour to machine a barrel, both ends and even a reduction in diameter if called for.

As for me, the cost to have me machine and finish a barrel for that particular pistol would be in the $50 range, not including the cost of barrel, not including installation or testing.
Again, a different business set up then the one charging $35, and much different then the machine shop that would charge much, much more.