Untitled

Untitled

February 15th, 2012, 2:00 pm #1

I know this can be a tough question BUT
If you only had 300 what would you buy

February 15th, 2012, 2:21 pm #2

Benjamin Discovery is a great gun in that price range. Hard hitting, accurate, handsome rifle, that can be easily worked on if needed.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

February 15th, 2012, 3:33 pm #3

Thumb safety Sheridan Blue Streak and whatever's left over would go toward a Crosman Custom Shop carbine.

I plink, therefore I am.

February 15th, 2012, 4:26 pm #4

February 15th, 2012, 4:30 pm #5

Thumb safety Sheridan Blue Streak and whatever's left over would go toward a Crosman Custom Shop carbine.

I plink, therefore I am.
the ones where the safety button is just behind the bolt.... and you have to hold down when you shoot it?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

February 15th, 2012, 6:19 pm #6

Yep. My thumb rides up there anyway when I shoot, might as well put it to work! LOL.

The older rifles had higher combs which would make my scoping needs work better.

I plink, therefore I am.

February 15th, 2012, 6:29 pm #7

the wrist angle on mine makes it uncormaforatlbe for me too shoot, but I love that rifle....

So I was thinking of building a thumbhole that had a 1911 grip style safety.... close your hand around the grip, and shoot. Glcok-ish, I know, but short of disabling the safety, I dont see a way around it

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

February 15th, 2012, 8:07 pm #8

I would ad a Discovery valve stem for PCP only, and get a Powermax Hi-pac.
There would be enough $ left over to get a entry level scope, and or a
muzzle brake. TKO makes a great one....

February 16th, 2012, 2:39 pm #9

Custom shop 2400KT with brass brake and trigger shoe and 6x32 scope will be about $190 shipped. Go to your local True Value hardware store and get a #6 spring for $0.69 to replace the heavy sear spring. If you want a better scope get the 2400KT without sights and get a Leapers scope and rings for a total of rifle and scope for about $20 more, depending on scope. You could also delete the brass brake and get a TKO brake. This will add about $28 to the cost. So your cost goes anywhere from $191 to about $238 and leaves money to play with various mods.

A Discovery would also be a fine choice for $260 from PA, but only if you already have a scope and equipment to charge it. If not then you are up to well over $400.

4 other rifles (3 old springers and Daisy target)
Crosman custom 2400KT - 18" .177
Crosman 2300T

February 18th, 2012, 3:16 pm #10

these are first hand experience; were under $300 and I still own and shoot them.

Discovery. Simple, lots of after market parts, and probably the best deal. Only added expense would be the $45 for a TKO brake and a home brew trigger job (are several on line tutorials...its easily within the average guy's ability and no major tooling to do).

Was just about to order a Pneuma new when a used one showed up for even less $. Very accurate gun and usually set to be powerful. From the posts, seems the multi-shot is more prone to problems, so would stick with the less expensive single shot version.

Bought a BAM 51, which new can be under $300 from the right dealer, but this one was also used. Not a bit of trouble, fast and accurate. Being made from all metal and wood, and with an exceptionally thick steel bottom tube, they tend to be a bit heavy.

IF you like to tinker and do some mods, have two HiPac conversions for steel breeched 2260's (one in .177, the other in .22) and a QB conversion using an PCP rated tube.