trigger improvments

trigger improvments

June 16th, 2012, 7:14 pm #1

besides installing a GRT III tirgger and that stupid washer trick that guy on youtube claims is the best, what other mods have you guys done to the tirgger group found in most crosman break barrels.

June 16th, 2012, 8:20 pm #2

June 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm #3

besides installing a GRT III tirgger and that stupid washer trick that guy on youtube claims is the best, what other mods have you guys done to the tirgger group found in most crosman break barrels.

Be Well... Tom

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

June 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm #4

June 16th, 2012, 10:28 pm #5

Triggers are mostly a matter of personal preference, or match rules.
Most shooters prefer a smooth pull. That's accomplished through polishing the contact surfaces, all of them, throughout the pull. Don't take off any material, or change any contours, but do polish until you have a mirror shine on any surface that contacts any other surface. Apply a light coat of lubriplate or similar, and you're done.

Some ( me ) prefer as light a pull as possible. I've done pull weight from zero, ( literally. Point the muzzle skyward, and the gun fires ) to about 8 pounds.
Somewhere around 2 pounds is generally a good happy medium for almost anyone, if the pull is short and smooth.
Too many try to lighten the pull, or reduce sear engagement, to the point of dangerous. If you can smack the gun, from any angle, and it fires, the trigger is dangerous !! What happens if you drop it ? This is the biggest problem with reducing sear engagement. Usually, but not always, a bad idea.

Having said that, the perception of a light, smooth pull will usually suffice.
To that end, consider a trigger shoe. They don't do much for me, but some report serious perceptive gains from something so simple.
For me, over travel is the big thing. This can be easily tested with just a roll of electrician's tape.
Build up a few wraps of electrical tape under the trigger, until the trigger barely moves after the point at which the gun fires. That may be all you need.
If you like a two-stage, add another wrap of tape. Now, you'll have your 2 or 3 pound pull until the guns is just at break, then the pull increases ( very noticeable ) to 8 or 9 pounds, with zero over travel. Most describe such a trigger as too light, surprisingly enough.

How do you feel about take up ?
Personally, I like little take up, if any, and a single stage trigger.
That dictates minimal sear engagement, and dangerous territory. Do so ONLY knowing the consequences, intended AND otherwise !!
A bit of take up, to a smooth but stiffer break, is a two stage. Many like a trigger that works this way. Again, judicious application of electrical tape will allow you to test very cheaply and easily, with no irreversible mods.

What I've described applies to any trigger on any gun, air or firearm.
The most important thing, is knowing what works for YOU.

June 16th, 2012, 11:24 pm #6

...the "Mini-GTX" costs (virtually) nothing and will give you a true-2-stage trigger with single-digit-oz pull.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/479035/m ... %27s+ugly-

Steve

June 17th, 2012, 12:48 am #7

June 17th, 2012, 2:26 am #8

...and unforeseen event interrupted sales of the GTX replacement trigger, and it took me a long while (a couple of years, actually) to identify new (and mainly trustworthy - this time - why it's now sold by honest, reputable folks like AoA and Archer) dealers to retail it.

In the meantime, I wanted to provide zero-cost DIY options to folks who needed a better trigger for their Gamos and Gamo clones but didn't want to deal with the individual who was responsible for making the GTX unavailable. The Mini was one of those options.

Unfortunately it seems that most new Crosman breakbarrels have solid triggers instead of the sheet metal style, which lack any internal space for a mod like the Mini.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on June 17th, 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 4:18 am #9

how much the strut and sear engage each other little by little and tested the gun each time. i bump tested it and it passed. then i polished up to a thousand grit. my goal was to reduce the length of the second stage, which i accomplished. i still feel it could be shorter but i felt like i was teetering on the edge of safety anyway so i stopped. and having never shot a gun with a match grade trigger i didnt really know what to go for.

any way i was happy with the results. my gun is missing the spring that adds tension to the first stage so it is basically a single stage trigger. i just have to go back in and lube it. what lube do you guys use btw?

June 17th, 2012, 6:18 pm #10

...and unforeseen event interrupted sales of the GTX replacement trigger, and it took me a long while (a couple of years, actually) to identify new (and mainly trustworthy - this time - why it's now sold by honest, reputable folks like AoA and Archer) dealers to retail it.

In the meantime, I wanted to provide zero-cost DIY options to folks who needed a better trigger for their Gamos and Gamo clones but didn't want to deal with the individual who was responsible for making the GTX unavailable. The Mini was one of those options.

Unfortunately it seems that most new Crosman breakbarrels have solid triggers instead of the sheet metal style, which lack any internal space for a mod like the Mini.

Steve