Travelling Crosman has arrived

Travelling Crosman has arrived

October 5th, 2011, 5:12 am #1

First, thanx to Randy and Crosman for making this happen.

Due to landlord politics, I had to go to the UPS terminal to pick it up, which took almost 30 minutes cuz they couldnt find it, even though they had called me earlier in the day. Signed the little machine and home I went.

It was packed well, along with a box of pels and the owners manual. My first thought was how small it is; every pic Ive seen makes it seem much bigger. it handles well, only slightly nose heavy. Even the Mrs. liked the feel and heft.

I should explain at this point, I am not a pistol guy. For a couple reasons: one, my pistol craft to date has been oriented to self defense and combat shooting (IDPA etc). Second, I'm only now starting to feel my rifleman skills are getting somewhere and I view pistol shooting as a division of effort I'm not willing to allow. I figured when it got here I;d take the perspective of making it a carbine of some sort.

First impressions....... It reminded me of the Mrod in fit and finish; excellent for the price point. Even better since its mine for a few days it had less that 2000 psi when it arrived, and I pumped it to 2600 with my hand pump. Smaller reservior made it quick and easy to pump to that pressure. First thing I dont like about it: the platic cover snaps over the fitting. Would like to have a metal one screw on.

The sights make target aquisition easy. I have less than 50 shots down range tonight with it, and have some one holers. I attibute that to the capabilites of the gun, not the shooter. Not being a pistolero, my arm gave out pretty quick and I went to a sorta Weaver stance, and launched a few more downrange. Second thing I didnt like, the bolt would move back into postion, (but not close) if the gun was tipped down. Probably just a point of adaptation on my part. Must say I like the bolt handle on the left (for a right handed shooter), allowing it to be operated without breaking your grip on the pistol.

After the two handed stance got tiring, I rested it on the back of a chair, and starting getting some groupings. Like I said earlier, pistol craft is not my forte, but I can see where a little dedication with this unit will pay off in accuracy gains and shooting satisfaction.

Ive not looked under the grips yet. Personally Im not in love with any of the grips Crosman offers on the pistols Ive shot, this one included. Just not hand filling enouigh for me. The pistol is quiet, not silent, when dry firing. A pel fired is even quieter, nieghbor friendly will depend on your neighbors... I was expecting it to be somewhat louder, so very surprised to (not) hear the report.

Ther trigger is great, and if it were my pistol, I dont thing it would take too lomg to get that dialed in to my preferences. Persoanlly I would add a shoe, and then it would be telepathic.

Ive had the thing about 5 hours. maybe 60 shots thru it. I cant say I'm in love with it yet, but can see where thats a definite possiblity. Minor tweaks to the bolt, sights adjusted to my eye and Dan friendly grips would go along way to me shooting more pistol. More pellets tested, chrony sessions and a brief carbine session are on the horizon.

Ill post more as I get more time with it.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

October 5th, 2011, 2:42 pm #2

thats pretty cool , got there really fast .. how far has the pistol traveled so far.?? where do you have to ship it next?? im guessing in carbine mode this thing will be incredible ,. Noodles has some hybrid 1701 and prod that literally one holes at 25 yrds , laser accurate!

October 5th, 2011, 5:08 pm #3

All I was gonna do is swap the grips off for the 1399 stock...... and maybe a scope or red dot.

For carbine work, the issue will be its (somewhat) low veleocity.  A stock 1701 "carbine" will be,well limited. I can see .... a young shooter, across the basement/garage, very close in feeder defense ( esepcailly with high power secope that will focus in the ranges the 1701 will shine at) 

I can also see putting a LER scope on it,  and fly sniping across the patio in pistol form.....

October 6th, 2011, 3:45 am #4

that being said i dont know the muzzzle velocity.u need a hunter rig moreso , im sure the ease of shooting the gun is incredible.

October 6th, 2011, 4:39 am #5

First, thanx to Randy and Crosman for making this happen.

Due to landlord politics, I had to go to the UPS terminal to pick it up, which took almost 30 minutes cuz they couldnt find it, even though they had called me earlier in the day. Signed the little machine and home I went.

It was packed well, along with a box of pels and the owners manual. My first thought was how small it is; every pic Ive seen makes it seem much bigger. it handles well, only slightly nose heavy. Even the Mrs. liked the feel and heft.

I should explain at this point, I am not a pistol guy. For a couple reasons: one, my pistol craft to date has been oriented to self defense and combat shooting (IDPA etc). Second, I'm only now starting to feel my rifleman skills are getting somewhere and I view pistol shooting as a division of effort I'm not willing to allow. I figured when it got here I;d take the perspective of making it a carbine of some sort.

First impressions....... It reminded me of the Mrod in fit and finish; excellent for the price point. Even better since its mine for a few days it had less that 2000 psi when it arrived, and I pumped it to 2600 with my hand pump. Smaller reservior made it quick and easy to pump to that pressure. First thing I dont like about it: the platic cover snaps over the fitting. Would like to have a metal one screw on.

The sights make target aquisition easy. I have less than 50 shots down range tonight with it, and have some one holers. I attibute that to the capabilites of the gun, not the shooter. Not being a pistolero, my arm gave out pretty quick and I went to a sorta Weaver stance, and launched a few more downrange. Second thing I didnt like, the bolt would move back into postion, (but not close) if the gun was tipped down. Probably just a point of adaptation on my part. Must say I like the bolt handle on the left (for a right handed shooter), allowing it to be operated without breaking your grip on the pistol.

After the two handed stance got tiring, I rested it on the back of a chair, and starting getting some groupings. Like I said earlier, pistol craft is not my forte, but I can see where a little dedication with this unit will pay off in accuracy gains and shooting satisfaction.

Ive not looked under the grips yet. Personally Im not in love with any of the grips Crosman offers on the pistols Ive shot, this one included. Just not hand filling enouigh for me. The pistol is quiet, not silent, when dry firing. A pel fired is even quieter, nieghbor friendly will depend on your neighbors... I was expecting it to be somewhat louder, so very surprised to (not) hear the report.

Ther trigger is great, and if it were my pistol, I dont thing it would take too lomg to get that dialed in to my preferences. Persoanlly I would add a shoe, and then it would be telepathic.

Ive had the thing about 5 hours. maybe 60 shots thru it. I cant say I'm in love with it yet, but can see where thats a definite possiblity. Minor tweaks to the bolt, sights adjusted to my eye and Dan friendly grips would go along way to me shooting more pistol. More pellets tested, chrony sessions and a brief carbine session are on the horizon.

Ill post more as I get more time with it.

good to see you got a turn with it Dan!

Full report..... been missing the reporting.

IIRC that was part of the deal?

Walter....

October 6th, 2011, 2:11 pm #6

he was next in line lol.

October 6th, 2011, 2:53 pm #7

good to see you got a turn with it Dan!

Full report..... been missing the reporting.

IIRC that was part of the deal?

Walter....
over the next 3or four days I'll more time to shoot, chrony and check pellets choices, and groups with and without a scope

Can see this gun being a great choice if you into short range precision, shooting instruction (especially for those skittish about muzzle report), "whites of their eyes" pesting, and maybe the basis of some sort of carbine.

October 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm #8

he was next in line lol.
heheh no conspiracy....  I had to get out of line late last spring. It got hung up elsewhere in its travels....