Taking it to the next step.....

Taking it to the next step.....

January 7th, 2011, 2:09 pm #1

As I've said since joining this forum years ago, I don't post to show off, I post in hopes to inspire. Working on and playing with these guns is some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and those of you who own them know exactly what I mean. Factory parts and after market accessories of all kinds are plentiful and inexpensive for this platform, and with a little imagination and creativity, and a few screwdrivers, you can have yourself a blast.

Regards,
Michael Chavka

Success is not an entitlement.

January 7th, 2011, 2:52 pm #2

Most of us are screwdriver kind of guys and then guys like you make the guns works of are. Nicely done!

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

January 7th, 2011, 3:31 pm #3

As I've said since joining this forum years ago, I don't post to show off, I post in hopes to inspire. Working on and playing with these guns is some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and those of you who own them know exactly what I mean. Factory parts and after market accessories of all kinds are plentiful and inexpensive for this platform, and with a little imagination and creativity, and a few screwdrivers, you can have yourself a blast.

Regards,
Michael Chavka

nt

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop

January 7th, 2011, 4:55 pm #4

Regards,
Michael Chavka

Fantasic Workmanship Michael...Wow Factor!!! n/t

January 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm #5

Regards,
Michael Chavka

Michael,

That IS a wonderful piece of work. Could you give us some of the "nuts and bolts" info on it? Caliber, performance, accuracy, barrel type, mods and that sort of thing? Good job!

Glenn in Texas
Last edited by SeeOhTwo on January 7th, 2011, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2011, 6:24 pm #6

Regards,
Michael Chavka

......boy.........is MY face red...............

Regards,
Michael Chavka

January 7th, 2011, 6:36 pm #7

No kidding!
If I had built it I'd be afraid to take it outside for fear a bug or a rain drop might land on it! Probably put it in a glass display case and keep it indoors.

Glenn in Texas

January 7th, 2011, 7:17 pm #8

......boy.........is MY face red...............

Regards,
Michael Chavka

I have all new Cothran Stainless parts for the final version. This particular gun is a prototype (mock up) based on a 2240 and weighs in at exacly 4 pounds and is 32" in length. The tube and breech (old screw location) are polished steel with a stainless bolt and handle made from parts of an old microphone stand. The barrel is a 14" Crosman (.177 cal) with new crown/leade. I don't think I'm going to use a barrel band since the Cothran Breech has two set screws for the barrel. With a Bruce Cox CLPS (can't leak port seal) the fit of the breech to the tube is excellent even using the new screw location. The wire stock and LDC are 6061 T6 Aluminum to help keep the weight down.

The valve is stock and the adjuster for the stock hammer spring is built into the shoulder stock. As configured it shoots Match Wadcutters from a low of about 600 to a high of about 620 fps - CPLs a little slower. The grip frame is factory (two screw) with a careful filing/sanding/polishing/buffing. The trigger and safety are from Cothran and this trigger is sweet.

I have a nice piece of highly figured Maple for the new stock/grips. That way the final version will have the same color, grain and figure characteristics.

Regards,
Michael Chavka

Last edited by haywire2 on January 7th, 2011, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2011, 9:50 pm #9

Michael,

That IS a wonderful piece of work. Could you give us some of the "nuts and bolts" info on it? Caliber, performance, accuracy, barrel type, mods and that sort of thing? Good job!

Glenn in Texas
Sweet! now do one in red.....

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy

January 9th, 2011, 6:01 am #10

Regards,
Michael Chavka

Who cares if it actually does anything, just look at it.

Only the wise read signatures.