survival pumpers, and how are pumpers the best option? is a seal kit in the buttstock?

survival pumpers, and how are pumpers the best option? is a seal kit in the buttstock?

June 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm #1

June 10th, 2012, 8:22 pm #2

mine will have a multiple spares for orings, pump cups and stems. as well as a small tube of oil and the rest filled with .22 round balls. they take up little space, dont have skirts to get dinged up and they shoot pretty well out of a 392

June 10th, 2012, 8:41 pm #3

But I would hazard a guess that the fact of not needing co2 or a separate pump/compressor would come into play,
I would probabaly go with a nitro piston rifle, but most folk seem to want a pistol or light carbine thus I add the next two paragraphs.
Lots of folks tout the 13XX as a survival or bug out gun, well ok but only if it is old enough to have a brass valve or at least a new version of one. In a survival situation I doubt that the newer aluminium parts would hold up very well.
The last phase one I tore down didn't need anything to be a good shooter it was purchased over thirty years ago and still worked well with the original seals. It will get a flat top piston and light mods to the inside of the valve, and some trigger work but as it came to me it would work as long as it got appropriate amounts of rust protection. With a .22 barrel and in a carbine version I could see this as a good option. Minimum of things to carry, lightweight, not to loud and dependable. As far as carrying a seal kit it would only be a few o rings.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

June 10th, 2012, 9:04 pm #4

mine will have a multiple spares for orings, pump cups and stems. as well as a small tube of oil and the rest filled with .22 round balls. they take up little space, dont have skirts to get dinged up and they shoot pretty well out of a 392

June 10th, 2012, 9:06 pm #5

But I would hazard a guess that the fact of not needing co2 or a separate pump/compressor would come into play,
I would probabaly go with a nitro piston rifle, but most folk seem to want a pistol or light carbine thus I add the next two paragraphs.
Lots of folks tout the 13XX as a survival or bug out gun, well ok but only if it is old enough to have a brass valve or at least a new version of one. In a survival situation I doubt that the newer aluminium parts would hold up very well.
The last phase one I tore down didn't need anything to be a good shooter it was purchased over thirty years ago and still worked well with the original seals. It will get a flat top piston and light mods to the inside of the valve, and some trigger work but as it came to me it would work as long as it got appropriate amounts of rust protection. With a .22 barrel and in a carbine version I could see this as a good option. Minimum of things to carry, lightweight, not to loud and dependable. As far as carrying a seal kit it would only be a few o rings.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

June 10th, 2012, 9:37 pm #6

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

suffered by the 39Xs aluminum valves on a 13XX/2289.... I'm guessing that is because of the steel outer tube instead of brass and the lower electric potential difference to cause bi-metallic corrosion.... Just my thoughts....

Bob

June 10th, 2012, 10:58 pm #7

along with it of course the rust does bad things to the sealing surfaces too. I plan on ordering stainless springs tomorrow
I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

Last edited by jamesinadvance on June 10th, 2012, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2012, 11:28 pm #8

Since hiking the Apalachia locations, central Indiana woodlands, Rockies, Smokies, etc., doing the whole survival thing for real, the idea has been on the brain. If one doesn't do those things, such a gun is more a novelty than anything else. However, regardless, such an air tool would be fun to have. My thoughts, as follows.

Poly/composite stock/grips;
Weatherized metal for the worst of conditions, i.e. salt water protection;
compact;
self contained, pumper perhaps;
.22 cal minimum;
ability to take completely apart with no tools;
Absolutely no use of inferior metals in the valve;
Complete oring designed system - even for the exhaust seal;
The ability to fold in upon itself to be compact;
compartment to carry extra pellets, orings, spare pins;
very tough;
carry light.

The perfect dinner get'n tool.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

June 11th, 2012, 12:48 am #9

June 11th, 2012, 2:26 am #10

In adddition to all the other projects I got going...I have been wanting to make a " survival" LIGHTWEIGHT 1377.

Here is my original post..

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/message/1323201731/I+HAVE+LOTS+OF+QUESTIONS----REGARDING+THIS%21%21%21

I have most of it figured out...but I am torn regarding using stainless steel for the main tube or aluminum with a steel liner.

Also, I have NEGATIVE thoughts about the steel barrel..I have considered using a spagetti barrel with a plastic shroud to keep the weight down.

My goal would be to use as much aluminum and plastic to keep the weight down, but I also need to keep all the corrosion and durability

issues in check.

Any suggestions and points of view are welcome.

Ernie the Eyeball