Steel Breech Installation Problem

Steel Breech Installation Problem

February 8th, 2012, 6:48 pm #1

I just received my 1322, 1399 stock, and steel breech in the mail. Put the stock on right away and then started on the breech. I think the very tiny allen screw in the breech (the screw visible when the bolt is pulled back) may have been installed too tightly because when I tried to removed it using the provided allen keys, the head of the screw stripped. Very unhappy about this, is there anything I can do?

Is this something I'll need to contact Crosman about, send it back to them for a replacement gun? I was so looking forward to having some fun right away and it's disappointing that that's just not going to happen yet.

Thanks,
Steve

February 8th, 2012, 7:04 pm #2

Steve, exact same thing happened to me on my 2300, I took the approx. same size torx bit and tapped it into the hole to get it out, that was about 15 disassembles ago and it is still fine!!! Dave.

February 8th, 2012, 7:08 pm #3

Sounds good, Dave - Do you have an idea what size torx bit that was? Wish it wasn't so freegin small, makes it a dream to work on haha

February 8th, 2012, 8:15 pm #4

at Ace Hdwe. In SS w/ Phillips(Flat) head! I did I it works!

4-48,I believe is what it is,but about 1/4" long shank

hth

Mario

Lock - N - Load!

February 8th, 2012, 10:38 pm #5

Sounds good, Dave - Do you have an idea what size torx bit that was? Wish it wasn't so freegin small, makes it a dream to work on haha
breech the supplied allen head wrench 'twisted' slightly as I tried breaking that small breech screw loose...

Care must be taken to be sure the allen wrench is seated firmly,then slow steady pressure is needed to break it loose..

February 9th, 2012, 12:26 am #6

I just received my 1322, 1399 stock, and steel breech in the mail. Put the stock on right away and then started on the breech. I think the very tiny allen screw in the breech (the screw visible when the bolt is pulled back) may have been installed too tightly because when I tried to removed it using the provided allen keys, the head of the screw stripped. Very unhappy about this, is there anything I can do?

Is this something I'll need to contact Crosman about, send it back to them for a replacement gun? I was so looking forward to having some fun right away and it's disappointing that that's just not going to happen yet.

Thanks,
Steve
Clamp the breech and air tube together to relieve pressure on the breech screw. Hand pressure may work, too. Make sure you set the allen key all the way down as these screw heads tend to strip pretty easily. Now try to loosen it.

February 9th, 2012, 2:47 am #7

Some allen keys are too small and as you mention will round off very easy!

I took my calipers along when buying to be sure they would fit.

Some of the best fitting were Mibro 1.27mm (Home Hardware brand?)

Walter....
Last edited by Voltar1 on February 9th, 2012, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2012, 3:40 am #8

Clamp the breech and air tube together to relieve pressure on the breech screw. Hand pressure may work, too. Make sure you set the allen key all the way down as these screw heads tend to strip pretty easily. Now try to loosen it.
The key Crosman supplies is right size...but...you must 'wiggle' it to get it to seat properly in the screw head...

February 9th, 2012, 7:06 am #9

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll have a go at it and see if I can't get that screw out.

February 9th, 2012, 4:53 pm #10

Took another look at it, managed to get that .050 Allen to seat into the screw by liiightly tapping on it with a Leatherman. Had a minor headache getting the sleeve to cooperate, but that all worked out ok. Still waiting on the LPA sight and 1389 forearm to come from Crosman.

I'm impressed with how sturdy and rigid the 1399 stock feels but it does feel a little short. Looking at it with my father, we're considering adding perhaps 1.5" of wood to the back of it. Whether or not that happens, not sure yet, but I'll be sure to post pictures when the gun's all finished.

Thanks for all the feedback.