spring compressor, my way

spring compressor, my way

April 30th, 2012, 12:26 pm #1

glue and nail sandwich put together out of scrap walnut. simple box sliding in a box idea. sits over pipe clamp. just put the mineral oil/beeswax finish on and haven't used it, presumably, will safely contain a rifle action during assembly or disassembly.

small caliber joy
Last edited by charlie9g on April 30th, 2012, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 12:34 pm #2

The only flaw in the ointment I can see, is that springs tend to want to buckle sideways when compressed.
Be sure to restrict the sideways buckle so the spring doesn't jump out and suddenly smack you in the face, as springs are wont to do.

Nice job.

April 30th, 2012, 1:41 pm #3

leaves room for wood pieces to be inserted as blocks and restrainers. until it gets worked with who knows what will be necessary.
the body is 24" long, now as built, if that is too long, a quick trip to the chop saw.
won't have any feel for it before some actual use. the sideways buckle of the spring shouldn't be too much of an issue you would think, most of the spring will be in the body of the rifle and you're using the few inches of acme thread on the clamp to do the rest. sort of a work in progress not ready for prime time nor sale to the public, that last part said as humor.

small caliber joy