Spend the day with old friends

Spend the day with old friends

April 8th, 2012, 2:29 am #1

Some days, you just have to plink.

Been a few post this week about pumpers and at least one concerning the Crosman 180. Took out the old fellas.
[/IMG]

Yeah...they are a bit beat up and worn and I refuse to refinish or repaint them (whoever gets them after me can do that). Still running well, still get the job done, I just elect to let them show their miles....kind of like their owner.

After an hour or so of knocking around cans and plinking paint balls, did decide that each one would fire one 5-shot group at 20 yards and to run a few rounds over the chronograph.

Group at top is from the Crosman 101. Center hold, so its just a touch high.

Group at bottom is from the Crosman 180. Needs a bit of right and I have to admit adjusting the iron sights gets to be a ping-pong match and I really dislike adjusting them.
[/IMG]

So long as I had them out, took a few chronograph readings. Warm day (81F), so the Co2 rifle perked up nicely.
[/IMG]

Remembered a few things from this:

Plinking is a mental enema...cleans out the mind nicely.

I cannot see open sights all that well any more but it is fun trying.

Variable power has its place. Really appreciate that on the old 180; plinking paint balls at 530fps works just as well as 609fps.

While I like the old 101, but having to cock it before loading...having to stick your fingers in front of the bolt on a cocked gun without a safety...and not having a real loading platform are bad ideas.

Last edited by gubb33ps on April 8th, 2012, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 4:01 am #2

Thats funny that you brought out your friends. I was looking at mine last night, didnt shoot em though, but I showed them some love.

April 8th, 2012, 8:58 am #3

Been a few post this week about pumpers and at least one concerning the Crosman 180. Took out the old fellas.
[/IMG]

Yeah...they are a bit beat up and worn and I refuse to refinish or repaint them (whoever gets them after me can do that). Still running well, still get the job done, I just elect to let them show their miles....kind of like their owner.

After an hour or so of knocking around cans and plinking paint balls, did decide that each one would fire one 5-shot group at 20 yards and to run a few rounds over the chronograph.

Group at bottom is from the Crosman 180. Needs a bit of right and I have to admit adjusting the iron sights gets to be a ping-pong match and I really dislike adjusting them.
[/IMG]

So long as I had them out, took a few chronograph readings. Warm day (81F), so the Co2 rifle perked up nicely.
[/IMG]

Variable power has its place. Really appreciate that on the old 180; plinking paint balls at 530fps works just as well as 609fps.

While I like the old 101, but having to cock it before loading...having to stick your fingers in front of the bolt on a cocked gun without a safety...and not having a real loading platform are bad ideas.

I shot my '65 Blue Streak Saturday. What an awesome rifle! Plan get out my 102 this afternoon. Repeater mech makes loading a 102 a breeze even if only loading one shot at a time.

I plink, therefore I am.

April 8th, 2012, 11:45 am #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I have the decendants of your guns, a later model,180 and a 140. I too enjoy being able to decide the power behind the pellet, something I couldn't do with my old powder 22.
Does your 180 have the Allen screw adjustment in the cocking knob? I like to imagine the old guns lives, from being picked out at the hardware store to today, and all the fun had in between

April 8th, 2012, 12:53 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

....and have decided that this is one that will be the last to go if I ever have to sell them all. Dave Gunter put it together for me, and it shoots great.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

April 8th, 2012, 1:31 pm #6

I have the decendants of your guns, a later model,180 and a 140. I too enjoy being able to decide the power behind the pellet, something I couldn't do with my old powder 22.
Does your 180 have the Allen screw adjustment in the cocking knob? I like to imagine the old guns lives, from being picked out at the hardware store to today, and all the fun had in between
...and originally, no dual power, but I cut a second sear position into the striker. Was hoping the second stage would be 100fps less, missed and got 70 fps less (close enough).

April 9th, 2012, 11:15 am #7

....and have decided that this is one that will be the last to go if I ever have to sell them all. Dave Gunter put it together for me, and it shoots great.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com
My Crosman 100 (.177) is a tack driver. Had to replace the peeps with a 2 1/2 X scope in my old age. It's as accurate as anything made today.