So far, so good...

So far, so good...

June 19th, 2012, 4:03 am #1

22XX/Disco hybrid Frankenpistola. 2000 psi fill, 22XX hammer spring, valve modified w/softer spring, and courtesy of Jeff P. a tiny, restrictive transfer port. I noticed that upon dry firing with the softer hammer spring/valve spring set up the gun exhibits almost no detecable hammer bounce.

Well I put my Gamo squirrel at 30 yards, and with no reducer on the kz, was able to knock it over 41 times in a row. Shot #42 hit the faceplate, and shot# 43 required one mil of holdover. Promising indeed!

A view from the bench -

Well, time to see what I can do on paper, shooting at a dime sized target

I shot 5 more shots on the same fill at the squirrel. Shots # 41 & 42, knocked over the target. # 43 hit the faceplate, and with one mil holdover was able to knock over the target with shot# 44 & 45.

I won't know what speed this is happening at till I get my chrony back, but as long as I can knock the target over at the max PFT range of 30 yards, I'm happy.

Will do some more posting when I receive my P-Rod trigger group and have my chrony at hand. Guardedly optimistic at this point lol

Vines

June 19th, 2012, 4:09 am #2

What was the ending pressure at shot #43? BTW, you are going to love the P-Rod frame!!

June 19th, 2012, 4:18 am #3

Wow, looks like some mighty fine accuracy to me, amazing!

Just getting back into airguns here, so how do you tell if you're getting hammer bounce, is it real obvious when shooting? I'd guess it's more detectable in a pistol than a rifle, just guessing.

June 19th, 2012, 4:23 am #4

What was the ending pressure at shot #43? BTW, you are going to love the P-Rod frame!!
That's just judging from the click of the valve and the gauge on my tank, as there's not a gauge on the pistol. I'll pay more attention on the next fill.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to receiving the trigger group, and hoping that part# 2220-103 is not just the grip frame lol -

Thanks for the encouragement Larry!

Vines

June 19th, 2012, 4:27 am #5

Wow, looks like some mighty fine accuracy to me, amazing!

Just getting back into airguns here, so how do you tell if you're getting hammer bounce, is it real obvious when shooting? I'd guess it's more detectable in a pistol than a rifle, just guessing.
Almost like a springer gun buzzing. After replacing the valve spring with a softer one, it's just one loud click upon dry firing. No expert here, just lots of trial & error combined with dumb luck and trying things suggested on this forum.

And hammer bounce is also easy to detect towards the end of a fill, at least in my experience, as the gun gets a lot louder, and starts to sound braaaaapy, farty almost.

Vines
Last edited by stevevines on June 19th, 2012, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 6:48 am #6

Ahhh, okay, that's enough to go on, thanks!

June 19th, 2012, 11:29 am #7

That's just judging from the click of the valve and the gauge on my tank, as there's not a gauge on the pistol. I'll pay more attention on the next fill.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to receiving the trigger group, and hoping that part# 2220-103 is not just the grip frame lol -

Thanks for the encouragement Larry!

Vines
You probably know to fill the waist of the hammer if it is from a 22xx-type gun. Elongating the slit where the sear and hammer touch may need to be lengthened, too.

June 19th, 2012, 2:43 pm #8

I just got off the phone with Crosman Customer Service. According to the nice lady on the other end of the 'phone, part# 2220-103 is the complete trigger group assembly. Part# 2220-013 is an adjuster screw, that is included with the complete assembly.

Should I order a P-Rod or 1701 hammer? Presently the pistola is equiped with one of Don Cothran's fluted hammer/striker unit. I don't really have any way of modding it to work, as I have no lathe, just a vice & a 1/4 drill and some files lol - I was hoping I could just swap trigger groups. Maybe not, huh?

Thankyou and thanks to the forum for any & all help!

Vines

June 19th, 2012, 2:54 pm #9

Larry typo'd that. You can order the hammer if you like, it'll add another level of adjustability via the stroke setting for fine tuning, and not have to mod your hammer.

June 19th, 2012, 3:25 pm #10

I should be receiving the trigger unit any day now, but I might as well get the hammer on order. Does it require a new hammer pin as well, or will the old one work?

Thanks again for all the advice

Vines
Last edited by stevevines on June 19th, 2012, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.