Shooting the 1377 in pistol form

Shooting the 1377 in pistol form

May 20th, 2011, 1:29 am #1

I'm no way a pistol guy because my arms are heavy clubs and I shake like crazy but I thought I'd ask if you guys have any tips on shooting a 1377 pistol without depending on a stable base to lean on...

I'm trying to shoot dime size targets at 10 yards...

I notice that if I have a light calm hold (middle finger and thumb), the muzzle rises during the shot... When I have a firm grip, I can't keep my aim steady...

I kind of have a way to shoot mine by using the weight of my left arm to counter the muzzle rise and pulling the trigger with my right hand.. And I'm getting 50 cent piece (remember those?) groupings but I thought I'd ask you pros if there was a better technique on how to handle the gun to shrink the groupings...

Thanks...

I hear a "Practice!" coming on and I will do that... LOL

May 20th, 2011, 5:17 am #2

I thought I knew how to shoot until I went to the range with a competition 45 cal shooter. Research the web you could probably learn alot. There are diagram targets out there that show what you are doing wrong depending on where you hit the target. Its a big subject, become a student. Check You Tube, do some searches. Should be lots out there. Breathing, grip, stance, trigger pull, the way you draw the gun. Many things to screw up. Study the pros if you want to get serious. Number one rule is enjoy though. I enjoy stacking shots through the same hole but usually do it from a rest. Shot squirels in mid air jumping from one tree to another. Also shot rats off a power line in a full on sprint at night. Lots of fun, lots of practice. Have fun.

May 20th, 2011, 6:06 am #3

I will take your advice in becoming a student... I just hope I don't go overboard and put a big dent in my sleep habits... I just want to be as good with a pistol as I am with a rifle... Fun is what got me back into airguns...

With the impressive feats that you've accomplished, especially with the rats, you're my hero. LOL

Thanks again...
MAV

May 20th, 2011, 11:28 am #4

I'm no way a pistol guy because my arms are heavy clubs and I shake like crazy but I thought I'd ask if you guys have any tips on shooting a 1377 pistol without depending on a stable base to lean on...

I notice that if I have a light calm hold (middle finger and thumb), the muzzle rises during the shot... When I have a firm grip, I can't keep my aim steady...

I kind of have a way to shoot mine by using the weight of my left arm to counter the muzzle rise and pulling the trigger with my right hand.. And I'm getting 50 cent piece (remember those?) groupings but I thought I'd ask you pros if there was a better technique on how to handle the gun to shrink the groupings...

Thanks...

When using two hands I hold my 1377 (or 2240) like I would a semi-auto handgun, with the support hand (in my case the left hand) cupping the shooting hand with both thumbs pointing forward. I hold the pistol tight, but not so tight that it causes more wiggles. Also holding my arms straight out works best for me.

I like to shoot one handed (the way handguns were intended to be shot) but I do a whole lot better with two hands.

I plink, therefore I am.

May 20th, 2011, 2:24 pm #5

Thanks...

have you replaced the trigger spring? A lighter one will make a significant difference. It does help me if I really wrap my hand around the grips - taking out all the slack. Then concentrate on holding the gun (like you say) between middle finger and thumb. I've also found that concentrating on the front sight helps - that's all that needs to be in focus - you can't focus on three different things at three different distances at once, so don't even try.

Disclaimer: most of my pistol shooting is for pistol FT from a modified Creedmoor position.

May 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm #6

Thanks...

remember to take a break after pumping
your muscles are worked up and can make a difference when shooting

May 20th, 2011, 6:01 pm #7

taking a break after the pumping has got to be the first rule. a real good trigger next. as been said watching and learning from some .45 competition shooters would be real good. left hand in a pants pocket, good stance and a repeatable one. You may not realize it but even your foot ware has some thing to do with a good score. I shot .45 for a few years in a pistol league and was told that it would be illegal to wear ski boots for support in NRA matches. john

May 20th, 2011, 6:35 pm #8

Thanks...

I've taken down notes on things mentioned a I'll try and apply them on my next shooting session... I did notice that I do try to focus on three things at once and have a hard time doing so... It's one of the last things I was thinking about before I finished shooting... I've heard other experts suggest the same thing about just focusing on the front sites... I need to make a checklist. Good stuff!

Thanks again...
MAV

May 20th, 2011, 10:13 pm #9

First thing I'd do is work on the trigger,,will make a HUGE difference in your groups....then , like you said PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE !!! Dime-sized groups at 10 meters is very ambitious, and will take a LOT of time "looking thorugh the sights" I'd suggest getting a red dor scope to use..very easy to focus with, and you can get a decent one, delivered to your US door for like $30.00 (Hawke Optics) I use one on my 1740 and it is great for shooting up to say 20 yards.......good luck with it...MAIN THING is to enjoy and have fun with it!!!!!!

May 20th, 2011, 10:28 pm #10

Thanks...

it needs. Then with my finger resting on the trigger I look down the sights and let the gun wander, when I see that the sights will be drifting across the bullseye I squeeze. hth