Rogue, what nitch will that fill ?

Rogue, what nitch will that fill ?

April 7th, 2011, 6:32 pm #1

I don't see what that gun will be "best" at.
If hunting big game, I think I would rather have a single shot that has twice the power and half the price tag.

I am unaware of any air gun related pursuit that requires a large bore caliber with multi shot capability.

So help me to understand , what do you see this gun being used for ?

April 7th, 2011, 7:14 pm #2

I also think that the Rogue is Crosman's attempt at reaching out to shooters and hunters who either are not aware of what airguns can do, or what models of AG's are out there. The Niche? whatever you want it to be...... airguns are tools, and you need the right tool for the job at hand... say gophers at 80 yards....... or startlings off the feeder at 10 yards....

But at US$1500 list price, the cost of admission will limit its membership in any shooting group. Add to that the cost of the big bore pels, the cost of filling it, its non-traditiional stocking and electronic trigger....

Make no mistake, it will have its fans, it will generate a number of mods, some one will hack the circuitry, and some one will make a sporter wood stock for it. If your expecting a Marauder like sweep of the airgunning public, dont think that'll be happening anytime soon....

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy

April 7th, 2011, 7:44 pm #3

If hunting big game, I think I would rather have a single shot that has twice the power and half the price tag.

I am unaware of any air gun related pursuit that requires a large bore caliber with multi shot capability.

Mind you when I look out my window I see about 15 miles to the south and 30 miles to the east with one house somewhere in the middle, I cant see any gap filled with the Rogue, thats why the largest caliber airgun I have is a 25.

At first I sold myself on one because of the uniqueness, but now that Ive had time to consider its viable uses I dont see one.

Even as a long range Crosman collectable the future looks dim because of the electronics, risky business 20, 30 years down the road, if one of the components gives out its done for.

This is just my point of view having virtually unlimited space.

If Crosman was to dump the electronics get rid of the plastic and put some nice wood on there, especially with the multi shot I would absolutely buy one and use it for coyote hunting.

A good 17 Remington runs about $1100.00 the Rouge my guess $1400.00 to $1800.00 the gun is a bit extreme, and for me the guns electronic unit is the kill switch.
Last edited by ratite on April 7th, 2011, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm #4

but I really think that nothing over .177 cal is necassary for starlings, and when has .25 cal not been enough for gofers, the .25 m-rod should do in a gopher at 80 yards.

Coyotes ? are you going to get the opertunity to shoot at multiple coyotes at one moment ?
I think not. looks like a good gun for it though. But again, I would rather have one with more power, and only one shot is needed.

If more than one shot is needed, then you should not have pulled the trigger in the first place.

It's called hunting ethics.

April 7th, 2011, 10:51 pm #5

but not at the same target....

whacked one gopher late last summer..... then his/her buddy ran right over to him/her to see what the break dance was about.... already had the range, ran the bolt on the Mrod..... 2 in about 5 seconds.....

again, seperate targets, and I agree on the ethics.....

April 8th, 2011, 3:55 am #6

the M-rod has that covered.

multiple shots at a target that requires a large bore ? Not likely.

Though I am sure it would be fun to splat a rodent with a 9mm, it's over kill for sure.

April 8th, 2011, 4:51 am #7

that takes an AR grips.

"Cool" niche. I'll find something to shoot with it.

April 8th, 2011, 1:02 pm #8

Too much gun for my backyard and too much stuff needed to run it to bother taking along when I go shoot powder burners.
I see it as more of a curiosity than anything practical.

One use often mentioned is urban coyotes. Urban coyotes? How many cities will allow you to fire a .177 pellet gun or BB gun in the city limits? Not very many. They sure ain't gonna let you shoot a Rogue in someone's backyard. LOL!

One possible nitch I see for guns like the Rogue is for people who want to shoot "real" guns but can't legally own firearms and don't want to mess with black powder.

But what do I know? I'm that crazy old man at down the road who shoots BB guns in his yard...

I plink, therefore I am.

April 8th, 2011, 2:53 pm #9

right there with ya brother!

April 8th, 2011, 4:49 pm #10

Too much gun for my backyard and too much stuff needed to run it to bother taking along when I go shoot powder burners.
I see it as more of a curiosity than anything practical.

One use often mentioned is urban coyotes. Urban coyotes? How many cities will allow you to fire a .177 pellet gun or BB gun in the city limits? Not very many. They sure ain't gonna let you shoot a Rogue in someone's backyard. LOL!

One possible nitch I see for guns like the Rogue is for people who want to shoot "real" guns but can't legally own firearms and don't want to mess with black powder.

But what do I know? I'm that crazy old man at down the road who shoots BB guns in his yard...

I plink, therefore I am.
He walks around town with his old Sheridan shooting black birds out of the trees all summer long.

Mind you this is a very small town no body cares