Request for help - abbreviations

Request for help - abbreviations

June 20th, 2012, 2:18 am #1

I'm just getting back into airguns after a long absence from the sport & hobby. There's been quite a few changes here & there in that time. I have a great difficulty following about 3/4 or maybe 7/8 of the threads here because it's all written in code. Those who understand the abbreviations are invited in, and those who don't are left out, tough luck chum.

Overall in writing for the public it's customary when using abbreviations to first go to the trouble of writing out the abbreviated term one time, followed by the abbreviation in brackets or vice versa. That way everybody is on the same page and all viewers may participate in the understanding of text. That way a person can immediately understand meaning. At the very least some generalized hint of meaning is given.

I've seen several comments from people having difficulties here in the forum understanding the abbreviations, but it never seems to change. If anything, more new ones are thought up and added into the mix to more thoroughly confuse all but the insiders! It soon narrows down the membership and participants to just a handful who are in the know and make most of the posts and replies, and anybody else can either stay confused or just go away.

Yes, I've seen threads listing abbreviations but it's no fun at all to have to leave a thread, go hunt down the abbreviations secret decoder ring thread, then come back to the thread and read until the next abbreviation, repeat, repeat, repeat, on almost every thread posted.

So, a simple request here: I'd really appreciate it if the posts had the necessary descriptive information to know what the conversation is about, by having abbreviations explained when written.

Thanks!

June 20th, 2012, 2:30 am #2

..."my BFF installed an HDD on a custom PCP. He added a built-in MSP to top off the Pro-Topped valve in order to demonstrate the AC properties of this new rifle", would not be easy to read for the average reader. Got it! And, yes, the terms/acronyms take a while to figure out.

June 20th, 2012, 3:32 am #3

I'm just getting back into airguns after a long absence from the sport & hobby. There's been quite a few changes here & there in that time. I have a great difficulty following about 3/4 or maybe 7/8 of the threads here because it's all written in code. Those who understand the abbreviations are invited in, and those who don't are left out, tough luck chum.

Overall in writing for the public it's customary when using abbreviations to first go to the trouble of writing out the abbreviated term one time, followed by the abbreviation in brackets or vice versa. That way everybody is on the same page and all viewers may participate in the understanding of text. That way a person can immediately understand meaning. At the very least some generalized hint of meaning is given.

I've seen several comments from people having difficulties here in the forum understanding the abbreviations, but it never seems to change. If anything, more new ones are thought up and added into the mix to more thoroughly confuse all but the insiders! It soon narrows down the membership and participants to just a handful who are in the know and make most of the posts and replies, and anybody else can either stay confused or just go away.

Yes, I've seen threads listing abbreviations but it's no fun at all to have to leave a thread, go hunt down the abbreviations secret decoder ring thread, then come back to the thread and read until the next abbreviation, repeat, repeat, repeat, on almost every thread posted.

So, a simple request here: I'd really appreciate it if the posts had the necessary descriptive information to know what the conversation is about, by having abbreviations explained when written.

Thanks!
It does make for some interesting reading.

Almost everything one can imagine regarding air guns has been brought up at some point.

cheers

June 20th, 2012, 4:11 am #4

Thanks!
hhahaaa! gotcha

if the Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum wasn't offline i'd post a link from there. theyve been putting together a nice list of abbreviations over there. i havent read the thread in a while though. it may have derailed and gone way off topic by now but it was like 6 pages long last i looked

i'll post the link once the forum is back up and running again

June 20th, 2012, 5:07 am #5

Yeah, 'any idea why the CAPOF is down?

June 20th, 2012, 7:49 am #6

Yes, I know there's various places to find lists of abbreviations, thanks. Matter of fact I mentioned that in the opening post.

Another factor here is that in my area the ONLY thing available for internet is dialup, at least at even vaguely affordable costs. On dialup or not, it's pretty lame to have to go to another website, search through pages of scattered abbreviations till you find the correct one, maybe, then return to thread, find another abbreviation, go back to the other site & search the list, return to thread & find another abbreviation, go back to.... See? Really no fun at all, not worth the bother.

I own Crosmans, have for several years, so this Crosman Forum website would be of interest, if I could understand what folks are referring to with abbreviations.

June 20th, 2012, 12:02 pm #7

Thanks!
What abbreviations are currently frustrating you? I know the feeling, but a lot of the time the abbreviation is some texting or internet thing not really related to airguns.

Here's a few...

PB = Powder Burner. I keep thinking Paint Ball when I see that one. I had never heard the term powder burner until I got into airguns a few years ago.

HDD = Hammer Debounce Device. A thingy to stop the hammer from bouncing and reopening the valve. It saves gas or air.

M-rod = Em Rod, Short for the Benjamin Marauder (M + raud I guess). To me it sounds like some kind of inflamation where the sun don't shine.

P-rod = Pee Rod, the Benjamin Marauder Pistol. I don't want to think about what Pee Rod sounds like.

LDC = Lead Dust Collector. A euphemism for a device to do something about the unwanted output from the muzzle of an airgun, but not necessarily lead dust. Some forums do not allow these to be discussed.

POS = Point of Sale. At least where I work that's what POS means. Some folks have different ideas that include excrement. Sometimes applied to anything not of German heritage on other airgun forums.

LOL = Laugh out loud. Internet/texting jargon I've recently picked up on. Probably more manly than " " for signifying an attempt at humor on the internet.

I plink, therefore I am.

June 20th, 2012, 2:32 pm #8

Thanks!
Does "hammer debounce device", or "debouncer". or "air conserving" really tell you much if you haven't read the relevant threads?

June 20th, 2012, 3:41 pm #9

air conservation is a far left faction of the repulican party that thinks Romney is too liberal

and debouncer is that big guy at the door of the club......

hehehehe

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

June 20th, 2012, 5:30 pm #10

What abbreviations are currently frustrating you? I know the feeling, but a lot of the time the abbreviation is some texting or internet thing not really related to airguns.

Here's a few...

PB = Powder Burner. I keep thinking Paint Ball when I see that one. I had never heard the term powder burner until I got into airguns a few years ago.

HDD = Hammer Debounce Device. A thingy to stop the hammer from bouncing and reopening the valve. It saves gas or air.

M-rod = Em Rod, Short for the Benjamin Marauder (M + raud I guess). To me it sounds like some kind of inflamation where the sun don't shine.

P-rod = Pee Rod, the Benjamin Marauder Pistol. I don't want to think about what Pee Rod sounds like.

LDC = Lead Dust Collector. A euphemism for a device to do something about the unwanted output from the muzzle of an airgun, but not necessarily lead dust. Some forums do not allow these to be discussed.

POS = Point of Sale. At least where I work that's what POS means. Some folks have different ideas that include excrement. Sometimes applied to anything not of German heritage on other airgun forums.

LOL = Laugh out loud. Internet/texting jargon I've recently picked up on. Probably more manly than " " for signifying an attempt at humor on the internet.

I plink, therefore I am.
I thought ldc was L-somthing decimal control/collecter. The meanings become clear quicker than the actual words. 3-4 months of lurking and the jargon seems to all make sense.