Refinishing Tips For Blue Streak Barrel & Breech

Refinishing Tips For Blue Streak Barrel & Breech

May 15th, 2012, 2:08 am #1

I never tried to 'blue' brass before. What is the stock Seridan finish? Any tips on how to spruce up the barrel and breech?

May 15th, 2012, 11:27 am #2

It depends on the age of the Sheridan. Most recent versions of the rifles have been painted. For small touch-ups on my 392 (.22 version of the current Blue Streak) I've used flat black acrylic craft paint. Almost perfect match and nearly as durable as the original paint. Which isn't saying much for the durabilty of the original paint.

The older Sheridans were chemically blackened with something called Ebonal-C, a chemical blackener. I don't think you can blue brass/bronze very well. I tried some Birchwood Casey blue on some polished brass and it ended up looking more like color case hardening than the traditional blue/black look of blued steel.
Birchwood Casey (maybe other companies too) makes a product called Brass Black that will chemically blacken brass. If I wanted to touch up my '65 Dan that is what I would try. But mine's not too scarred up and I like the "patina" that comes with nearly 50 years of service.

I plink, therefore I am.

May 16th, 2012, 1:14 am #3

I never tried to 'blue' brass before. What is the stock Seridan finish? Any tips on how to spruce up the barrel and breech?
Emron automotive paint is what one of the pros use. Have have spray gun automotive experience and know how to prep. Strong and looks great. Has to be done right though.

May 16th, 2012, 3:05 am #4

Thanks for the tip. I would like to retain as much of the original finish as possible, but blend in some areas rubbed down to bronze/brass.