Proper tube prep of the inside surface for PCP application?

Proper tube prep of the inside surface for PCP application?

September 25th, 2011, 10:49 pm #1

Would having the entire tube hot dipped be worthy? I want the inside of the tube to NOT rust, of course...

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

September 27th, 2011, 8:46 pm #2

As long as you're  filling from a tank and there is no possibility of condensation forming, no special finish is required. Swab the inside with an anticorrosion oil during assembly.......that's all you need. There are numerous products available, my favorite is LPS3. The two scratch built bench guns I have were given this same treatment and have no rust whatever inside......they're fifteen years old and entirely "in the white". However, if, like a lot of people, you plan on using a hand pump, this approach probably will not work.

Ron

September 27th, 2011, 9:57 pm #3

...and get another one at that. I got out of PCP a few years ago... Went to springers and multi-pump units. We do have a scuba shop here in town...

This LPS 3 stuff, assuming, it will not detonate under pressure, right? I do trust what you say!!

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

September 28th, 2011, 11:23 am #4

It's beyond me why more people aren't experiencing problems when going this route. But.....do what ya gotta do.  LPS3 forms a thin, soft waxy film after the solvent evaporates and no, I've never had any problems with it. A 12 oz aerosol can will last several years of general shop use. Wholesale Tool on the south side of Indy carries it.