P Rod SSR..... 4 possible paths

P Rod SSR..... 4 possible paths

May 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm #1

Soooo Ive narrowed it down to these 4 options:

1) continue experimenting with the factory parts and my own additions or others internals

2) Get the Marmot Militia's Prod shroud extension

3) get the 1/2 by 20(28) shroud adapter that will let me use my _legal_ 22LR suppressor

4) take the shroud off completely and use a TKO brake I have

Downsides? Paths 2 -4 will add add 3 - 7 inches in OAL to the little gun. PAth 3 means the picle has to be on for zeroing and accuracy testing. Putting it on and removing it may make the zero move.

Still thinking a hybrid approach will yeild the "best" results. Decouple the muzzel from the stripper, some dead space and then a baffle stack of some sort

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

May 4th, 2012, 5:16 pm #2

Best(less)bang for the buck. I have it on mine, and like it.
But I must say, that #4 has me intrigued and I hadn't even considered it, since I have a 6.5" V5 on the 2400kt. The shroudless aesthetics would bother me though.

TKO also makes a shroud screw on version for the P-rod, if you didn't know.

May 4th, 2012, 5:40 pm #3

the shroudless issues I have a plan for.... since the barrel is ~7/16, I have some 1/2 ID carbon fibre tubeI  could cut to length and cover the barrel with. Would also reduce the obviousness of the pickle hanging off

tahxn for the tip!

May 4th, 2012, 6:07 pm #4

1) continue experimenting with the factory parts and my own additions or others internals

3) get the 1/2 by 20(28) shroud adapter that will let me use my _legal_ 22LR suppressor

Downsides? Paths 2 -4 will add add 3 - 7 inches in OAL to the little gun. PAth 3 means the picle has to be on for zeroing and accuracy testing. Putting it on and removing it may make the zero move.

Still thinking a hybrid approach will yeild the "best" results. Decouple the muzzel from the stripper, some dead space and then a baffle stack of some sort

Its over an inch in Diameter, and unless you get it out clear of the air tube, it may not fit..........

Need to make measurements and report back

May 4th, 2012, 6:53 pm #5

May 4th, 2012, 7:31 pm #6

Still, after accuracy, noiseless operations is top priority. So now its beginning to look like having to trade a shorter gun for mousefart manuverouring, unless we can come up with something that enhances the factory setup to bring the noise down......

to your point, the 22 Lr suppressor will add at least 6 inches

May 4th, 2012, 8:30 pm #7

the extension is only 3" which is really not all that much. it does make it BYF with only the hammer hitting and impact noise. but after two clips, the noise starts to pick up, only because of more air being used each shot.
adding a TKO either to the shroud, which one is made to screw into the shroud or even putting it on the barrel, that will make it longer than the JG shroud extension.

Now using your legal, 22lr, I'm not up on the regs, but I'm under the empression that if its regestered, its regestered to one gun and only one gun.

I told you in a pm that my AA 400 had 2 holes in the shroud, which were 1/8" and not the 5/64" , not sure if larger holes in the shroud would help or not. I have yet drilled any , but I purchased both 5/64 & 1/8" bits to make the holes in my shroud.

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal

May 4th, 2012, 9:03 pm #8

Have tried several ways to tone it down. These have worked:

1. Jacking the issue shroud forward by use of a spacer at the rear, adding a grooved support ring,drilling the plastic support piece for more holes (and increasing the diameter of existing holes slightly), and building a stack of bafffles/spacers under the issue end cap did quiet it considerably.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

2. Changed barrels (LW is fatter) and rather than rebuild the above system, just added an extention.

3. One most people don't think of. Wanted the gun to run in the 13 foot pound area. Knowing that most PCps are quieter when using a little blip of high pressure air than when using a blast of lower pressure air, increased the spring tension until the gun was running well at 2900-2050psi. Was too fast, so made smaller transfer ports until the right speed (in my case, 13 foot pounds) was given. Using those short little blasts of high pressure are quieter.
Last edited by gubb33ps on May 4th, 2012, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 9:58 pm #9

the extension is only 3" which is really not all that much. it does make it BYF with only the hammer hitting and impact noise. but after two clips, the noise starts to pick up, only because of more air being used each shot.
adding a TKO either to the shroud, which one is made to screw into the shroud or even putting it on the barrel, that will make it longer than the JG shroud extension.

Now using your legal, 22lr, I'm not up on the regs, but I'm under the empression that if its regestered, its regestered to one gun and only one gun.

I told you in a pm that my AA 400 had 2 holes in the shroud, which were 1/8" and not the 5/64" , not sure if larger holes in the shroud would help or not. I have yet drilled any , but I purchased both 5/64 & 1/8" bits to make the holes in my shroud.

Buster
\\\ X ////
one step closer to the ultimate goal
and I can use it on any gun......

My legal issues will be crossing state lines.....

May 5th, 2012, 6:28 am #10

Still, after accuracy, noiseless operations is top priority. So now its beginning to look like having to trade a shorter gun for mousefart manuverouring, unless we can come up with something that enhances the factory setup to bring the noise down......

to your point, the 22 Lr suppressor will add at least 6 inches