P-Rod in .177?

P-Rod in .177?

April 30th, 2012, 5:35 am #1

I have heard that at some point they may make a P-rod in .177. Does anyone know if/when they are going to do this? I would love to have a little carbine that shoots the readily available .177 rounds, and save the harder to get, harder hitting .22s for the bigger stuff.
Thanks for any info,
Chris

April 30th, 2012, 1:06 pm #2

April 30th, 2012, 4:19 pm #3

Yeah, I've seen that, but I am looking for just a flat out Marauder - 8 shots, stock, full power, the whole nine yards. I suppose I could purchase that one and add the other stuff, but that seems kind of redundant. You'd think Crosman would just offer a standard Marauder with a .177 barrel in it.
Thanks for the response,
Chris

April 30th, 2012, 7:57 pm #4

already have a .22 and went and got an extra p/rod sitting in its box. i'm waiting for the dust to settle to modify it. if the 1720 has an o/ring on the bolt, i'll get a 1720 bolt from crosman. if the 1720 l/w barrel has the o/ring in it and therefore none on the bolt, i'll modify the p/rod bolt to accept an o/ring.
the p/rod is such an outstanding little mini carbine you can have one in any caliber and it will be a hoot. frankly it's screaming for .20 and .25 as well. why not?
this last little spurt by crosman, the m/rod and p/rod, this is some very good stuff. i've sold all my european PCP guns and only want crosmans. they modify and personalize out extremely well and you can't put a price on the pride of ownership of a self modded piece.

small caliber joy

April 30th, 2012, 11:38 pm #5

So what would I need to make a .177 P-Rod? A barrel, of course, but what else? A bolt, it sounds like. What about magazines? Will a Marauder rifle .177 mag fit in a P-Rod? Anything else I'm not thinking of?
Thanks,
Chris

May 1st, 2012, 12:35 am #6

May be that sooner or later, Crosman will offer the .177 option in a PROD repeater. Right now, they don't. right now, they don't make parts you could swap and come up with a PRod .177 repeater.

Would have to build one, and at least some of the work would be complicated enough to need to be farmed out to professionals. Should be a way to get machine a PROD breech to let MRod mags to work in a PRod (or to sleeve/bush a PROD.22 mag to work in .177). Could then either have a .177 LW barrel made, cut down a .177 MRod barrel, or using a standard barrel and an o-ringed bolt.

Building one could get complicated. May be that Crosm does know something about their magazine feed that I don't, could be that they need that o-ring in the barrel system of a spring-loaded feed magazine to avoid o-ring damage. Other repeaters use an o-ring on the bolt without a problem, but they usually do not use a spring loaded feed (more often, use a mechanical feed that is operated by the bolt).

Othere builders have made an o-ringed bolt work with PRod and MRod mags with no reports of o-rings getting chewed up. Have no ideal if that was by careful adjustment, blind luck, failure to report the problem, or that the o-ringed barrel is just not needed.

Personally...would just wit and see what Crosman comes out with. A .177 repeater version does make sense, and perhaps they'll respond to the demand.

Personally, I prefer single shots. Tossed the PRod mag in the first week and have no idea where it got off to. Bought a 1700 and shrouded it for my .177 version. Built a HiPac conversion/riser breech/ 2250 for a 5mm version. Sooner or later, will make a .25 version and have a quartet.
[/IMG]
Last edited by gubb33ps on May 1st, 2012, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm #7

I have heard that at some point they may make a P-rod in .177. Does anyone know if/when they are going to do this? I would love to have a little carbine that shoots the readily available .177 rounds, and save the harder to get, harder hitting .22s for the bigger stuff.
Thanks for any info,
Chris
BNM Breech & shroud, uses M-rod mags. Fits Disco and 22XX air tubes, which P-rod & M-rod trigger groups fit also.
Cut down a disco tube or HiPac a 22XX for HPA, or use CO2.

www.bnm111.hpage.co.in/index.html

[/IMG]

I'm making mine into a lightweight M-rod type pkg:

Pre inletting

[/IMG]

May 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm #8

So what would I need to make a .177 P-Rod? A barrel, of course, but what else? A bolt, it sounds like. What about magazines? Will a Marauder rifle .177 mag fit in a P-Rod? Anything else I'm not thinking of?
Thanks,
Chris
so it makes the build easier. i believe the m/rod single shot adapter can be sanded down on the bottom to fit the p/rod, or a person can make one from scratch.
i'm starting with a crosman barrel. i have a .177 extended bolt from charles mellon, inexpensive enough. if it comes to it, the end of the stock bolt will get cut off, the body of the bolt bored, and the mellon bolt slipped in and glued or soldered.
waiting for now to see what the 1720 bolt looks like, if it comes with an o/ring, i would just as soon buy the bolt.
so many airgun projects going on at the same time makes it easy to let this one languish pending further developments. many will relate. one way the other it's going to be one dynamite mini carbine.

small caliber joy

May 4th, 2012, 12:29 am #9

May be that sooner or later, Crosman will offer the .177 option in a PROD repeater. Right now, they don't. right now, they don't make parts you could swap and come up with a PRod .177 repeater.

Would have to build one, and at least some of the work would be complicated enough to need to be farmed out to professionals. Should be a way to get machine a PROD breech to let MRod mags to work in a PRod (or to sleeve/bush a PROD.22 mag to work in .177). Could then either have a .177 LW barrel made, cut down a .177 MRod barrel, or using a standard barrel and an o-ringed bolt.

Building one could get complicated. May be that Crosm does know something about their magazine feed that I don't, could be that they need that o-ring in the barrel system of a spring-loaded feed magazine to avoid o-ring damage. Other repeaters use an o-ring on the bolt without a problem, but they usually do not use a spring loaded feed (more often, use a mechanical feed that is operated by the bolt).

Othere builders have made an o-ringed bolt work with PRod and MRod mags with no reports of o-rings getting chewed up. Have no ideal if that was by careful adjustment, blind luck, failure to report the problem, or that the o-ringed barrel is just not needed.

Personally...would just wit and see what Crosman comes out with. A .177 repeater version does make sense, and perhaps they'll respond to the demand.

Personally, I prefer single shots. Tossed the PRod mag in the first week and have no idea where it got off to. Bought a 1700 and shrouded it for my .177 version. Built a HiPac conversion/riser breech/ 2250 for a 5mm version. Sooner or later, will make a .25 version and have a quartet.
[/IMG]
What did you use for your cheek riser on your 22xx carbines and P-rod in your pic? Looks like it may be a home job with something sitting on top of a couple of aluminum spacers. Am I close? I like the look of those, and I may be getting a P-rod soon here. I just may borrow your idea, if you don't mind.
Thanks for any info,
Chris