OT: Went out to see the burnt areas

OT: Went out to see the burnt areas

July 5th, 2012, 3:37 pm #1

(for some perspective, google "blacks ford madison river montanan")

I fianlly couldnt stand it, and drove out west from the house. Blacks Ford is a popular river access for floating the Madison, and the closest point to the house for the burn.

Looks like the width of the river there (couple hundred feet wide for some length of the river unlike at the house wehre the Gallatin might be 75 feet acorss), and the fact that on the _my_ side of the Madison is a checker board of plowed but unplanted fields, fields that are under crops and well watered, and a lack of trees in that area kept the fires out of my area. Even were the fire was on my side, it eventually burned into range land areas that didnt provide much fuel, and it slowed there. So I dont think, short of something biblical, it would have burnt the 12 miles from there to my house.

Pray for rain in the other areas burning, and you folks living in forested areas, contact your local fire station and ask for the check list what to do to make your property safer during the inevitable fire.

and a big thanx to everyone for the well wishs and thoughts of safety!

We had some glorious sunsets during the fire, and the burned areas will now under go a re-growth period.

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

July 5th, 2012, 6:08 pm #2

July 5th, 2012, 6:51 pm #3

most wild land creatures have the since to get the heck outta dodge when this kinda thing happens, unlike us humans

as that area regrows, it will be excellent habitat. I suppose th eonly good thing about afire like this is it starts the regeneration of the area. New grass grows, meadows are created and it starts all over again. so in 300 years of so, that area will like it was before the fire, and ripe for another burn. 

July 5th, 2012, 10:19 pm #4

July 5th, 2012, 10:22 pm #5

most wild land creatures have the since to get the heck outta dodge when this kinda thing happens, unlike us humans

as that area regrows, it will be excellent habitat. I suppose th eonly good thing about afire like this is it starts the regeneration of the area. New grass grows, meadows are created and it starts all over again. so in 300 years of so, that area will like it was before the fire, and ripe for another burn. 

as several of those fires started as a controlled burn.

July 6th, 2012, 11:13 am #6

Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple
- Mikhail Kalashnikov