OK 9mm barrel has been ordered. Now what?

OK 9mm barrel has been ordered. Now what?

February 8th, 2012, 5:07 pm #1

What do I need to do so my 2240 can handle the pressure of a PCP charge? The main tube is stock but the valve has been modified internally. Very good trigger work if I do say so myself. I plan on going bulk.
Thought I would start with a longer tube and later go to a bottle on the back. Jump in any time. Thanks

February 8th, 2012, 5:27 pm #2

February 8th, 2012, 5:30 pm #3

What do I need to do so my 2240 can handle the pressure of a PCP charge? The main tube is stock but the valve has been modified internally. Very good trigger work if I do say so myself. I plan on going bulk.
Thought I would start with a longer tube and later go to a bottle on the back. Jump in any time. Thanks

The valve will need to be pinned radially with screws. An absolute must - don't slack on this, or you may be sorry you didn't. Do a search on here.

A 2240 will yield way to little volume to go 9mm PCP. I'd suggest getting a PCP tube from Don Cothran's shop http://www.cothranmachine.com/). A 2260 and/or a Discovery tube, for volume AND pressure reasons. Don's tubes can withstand a great deal more pressure.

A Crosman steel breech will work for the barrel liner you ordered. However, you will need to have it bored out AND a probe made to match. Don can do up a breech and probe for ya' that will bolt right on.

The transfer port will need to be opened up to .21", or so.

There are number of hits on this site that can be accessed via the search function.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

February 8th, 2012, 5:45 pm #4

February 8th, 2012, 7:20 pm #5

Roy Weid emailed me back and said that stock tubes were not meant to do more than 1k psi.

Reason was I had asked about HiPacs. Now, don't know if that is 100 percent accurate, and I may be repeating it wrong, so take with a grain of salt.

I will still end up getting a hipac for mine once it arrives, but just wont fill to over 1k. Even if its only good for 10 shots....heck, the only reason I will go hipac anyway is to be able to hunt this gun in winter temps......hunting, if I take more than 10 shots, then its cause Im missing.

By what I have read, you will need optimized dwell time, and a long barrel to realize the most potential. good news, larger the cal---the more efficient the co2

God bless,

Farmer

February 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm #6

February 8th, 2012, 7:39 pm #7

Roy Weid emailed me back and said that stock tubes were not meant to do more than 1k psi.

Reason was I had asked about HiPacs. Now, don't know if that is 100 percent accurate, and I may be repeating it wrong, so take with a grain of salt.

I will still end up getting a hipac for mine once it arrives, but just wont fill to over 1k. Even if its only good for 10 shots....heck, the only reason I will go hipac anyway is to be able to hunt this gun in winter temps......hunting, if I take more than 10 shots, then its cause Im missing.

By what I have read, you will need optimized dwell time, and a long barrel to realize the most potential. good news, larger the cal---the more efficient the co2

God bless,

Farmer
at all...if we're being absolutely truthful.

Something that might be of interest to some...no signs of yield failure were found. Several tests each exceeding 3 hrs were done. Another fellow with considerable experience has suggested replacing the 6-32 factory valve retention screw with an 8-32 low head shcs. Testing this arrangement is next on my list...have a dummy valve made and my 2240 stripped.

[/IMG]

February 8th, 2012, 7:56 pm #8

The only force on the tube threads comes from the sealing diameter of the 'powerlet' and fill pressure.

Walter....

February 8th, 2012, 8:41 pm #9

Last edited by robnewyork on February 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 8th, 2012, 8:44 pm #10

at all...if we're being absolutely truthful.

Something that might be of interest to some...no signs of yield failure were found. Several tests each exceeding 3 hrs were done. Another fellow with considerable experience has suggested replacing the 6-32 factory valve retention screw with an 8-32 low head shcs. Testing this arrangement is next on my list...have a dummy valve made and my 2240 stripped.

[/IMG]
Last edited by robnewyork on February 8th, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.