New Member / Odd Idea

New Member / Odd Idea

September 14th, 2010, 12:53 am #1

First, let me say thanks to all of you for posting all of your hard-earned knowledge over the years. I've been lurking, searching, and browsing for the past several months. I've liked Crosman air guns since I was a kid and my grandfather had a .22 pump pistol with the shrouded bolt. I loved plinking with that gun. So, in the last few months, I've collected 2 1377C's, added steel breeches, 24" barrels, carbine stocks, and I'll be making some better pistons in the very near future. I've also bought a couple of 24" CS2400 carbines, one in .177 with a Leapers 3-9 x 50AO (for sniping Cicada), and one in .22 for larger pest control. Oh, and a Chrony, I had the CS2400 .22 up to 18fpe just before the piercing pin parted company with the over-modified valve stem...

Now for the odd idea. I'm going to convert the .22 CS2400 to PCP using a Disco tube. I've got the machine tools to make anything I'd like, so I started evaluating the valve. It appears to me that in a pressurized tube, the front end of the valve is superfluous. In its original design, the front of the valve was there for 4 reasons: Seal to the powerlet, guide the piercing pin, contain the gas pressure, and locate the front of the valve spring. With no powerlet, 2 of the requirements are gone. If the spring is relocated to the back of the valve (external), and the o-rings are immediately forward of the TP, I can not find any reason for the valve extend beyond the o-rings. The front grip frame screw hole has to be dealt with, and the disco gauge hole. Those could be sealed with an o-ringed delrin sleeve and/or a regulator. Its also conceivable that the disco pressure gauge could be used with a regulator, I don't have the pieces on hand to check the spacing. So, tell me why this is a bad idea. I'm used to giving birth to still-born innovations.

thanks,
Kerry

September 14th, 2010, 1:21 am #2

as you indicate any sealing method will work.

For a reg contact Airguns of Arizona nd get one of SteveNC's Disco reg. Cute as bugs ear and externally adjustable. no gauge though. can't have everything unless you make it yourself.

Good luck and post as you can.

Walter....

September 14th, 2010, 1:59 am #3

First, let me say thanks to all of you for posting all of your hard-earned knowledge over the years. I've been lurking, searching, and browsing for the past several months. I've liked Crosman air guns since I was a kid and my grandfather had a .22 pump pistol with the shrouded bolt. I loved plinking with that gun. So, in the last few months, I've collected 2 1377C's, added steel breeches, 24" barrels, carbine stocks, and I'll be making some better pistons in the very near future. I've also bought a couple of 24" CS2400 carbines, one in .177 with a Leapers 3-9 x 50AO (for sniping Cicada), and one in .22 for larger pest control. Oh, and a Chrony, I had the CS2400 .22 up to 18fpe just before the piercing pin parted company with the over-modified valve stem...

Now for the odd idea. I'm going to convert the .22 CS2400 to PCP using a Disco tube. I've got the machine tools to make anything I'd like, so I started evaluating the valve. It appears to me that in a pressurized tube, the front end of the valve is superfluous. In its original design, the front of the valve was there for 4 reasons: Seal to the powerlet, guide the piercing pin, contain the gas pressure, and locate the front of the valve spring. With no powerlet, 2 of the requirements are gone. If the spring is relocated to the back of the valve (external), and the o-rings are immediately forward of the TP, I can not find any reason for the valve extend beyond the o-rings. The front grip frame screw hole has to be dealt with, and the disco gauge hole. Those could be sealed with an o-ringed delrin sleeve and/or a regulator. Its also conceivable that the disco pressure gauge could be used with a regulator, I don't have the pieces on hand to check the spacing. So, tell me why this is a bad idea. I'm used to giving birth to still-born innovations.

thanks,
Kerry
and I would love to see what you come up with.

September 14th, 2010, 2:03 am #4

thanks,
Kerry
the hole for the front of the grip could be eliminated with a barrel band type of bracket that grips the front of the breach and front of grip. A new tube is not hard to machine and one with out that hole. a reg. and gauge be relocated some what more forward allowing for a larger capacity for the frontless valve. I say too, go for it! john

September 14th, 2010, 3:14 am #5

thanks,
Kerry
I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS

September 14th, 2010, 5:44 am #6

thanks,
Kerry
Let us know how it comes out! If you use a sleeve to seal, make sure it's safe at max pressure.

AR

September 14th, 2010, 6:55 am #7

thanks,
Kerry
Last edited by ratite on September 14th, 2010, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2010, 3:15 am #8

thanks,
Kerry
Thanks for the encouraging words! I got started on it tonight, probably be a week or more before I know anything. How much poppet travel do I need to allow for, assuming a dual-fuel gun?

September 16th, 2010, 12:11 am #9

Steve in NC added this tidbit on a thread where I was asking about striker throw. Hope it helps

David

http://www.network54.com/Forum/113813/m ... ly+open+is...

September 16th, 2010, 4:41 pm #10

thanks,
Kerry
Sounds like it might be a fun project. About a year ago I read an article in Airgun Universe, about a guy that has done the exact thing you have planned...might check it out and get some ideas and/or help....look under 22XX power valve mods (IIRC). I too, am interested in what you come up with,might be a nice project to keep me busy this winter.