New here and already addicted, long

New here and already addicted, long

January 5th, 2011, 12:21 am #1

New to this forum but not airguns. Started a airgun love affair nearly 20 years ago and have owned all kinds over the years. I managed to kick my addiction about 8 years ago, but last fall I relapsed hard. I currently own a Trail NP AW, a BAM B40, my old trusty Blue Streak, and a Daisy 747.

My reason for joining here is that it seems to be the place to discuss 13xx/22xx mods. Over my holiday vacation I started developing plans to construct an accurate pump pifle based on the 1377. My goal is to use this pifle for 25m benchrest shooting and possibly field target, tho I will likely build 2 versions to be able to completely customize each for its particular purpose.

I will be starting with the BR pifle. Here is what I have on order:

From Mellon Air:

FT Piston and valve
Flow thru bolt probe
Solid pivot pin

From Crosman:

Steel Breech
2289 Barrel Band
1760 24 inch barrel
2289 Pump Arm

I plan to order the TKO 22xx trigger kit and the AoA 2-stage sear.

My question is what have I missed and what other mods should I consider?

I really want to put a Marauder barrel on these guns, but that will require machining of the breech end of the barrel that is beyond my capabilities at this time. Also, Crosman is currently out of the .177 Marauder barrels.

So, when Crosman gets the Marauder barrels back in stock is there anyone that will machine the breech end to work with the 17xx platform?

Sorry for the long post, and I look forward to being able to contribute to this fine forum.

Thanks,

Mike

January 5th, 2011, 2:45 am #2

and see how to do the valve and other things for best performance.

Welcome to the addiction.

January 5th, 2011, 3:30 pm #3

New to this forum but not airguns. Started a airgun love affair nearly 20 years ago and have owned all kinds over the years. I managed to kick my addiction about 8 years ago, but last fall I relapsed hard. I currently own a Trail NP AW, a BAM B40, my old trusty Blue Streak, and a Daisy 747.

My reason for joining here is that it seems to be the place to discuss 13xx/22xx mods. Over my holiday vacation I started developing plans to construct an accurate pump pifle based on the 1377. My goal is to use this pifle for 25m benchrest shooting and possibly field target, tho I will likely build 2 versions to be able to completely customize each for its particular purpose.

From Mellon Air:

FT Piston and valve
Flow thru bolt probe
Solid pivot pin

From Crosman:

Steel Breech
2289 Barrel Band
1760 24 inch barrel
2289 Pump Arm

I really want to put a Marauder barrel on these guns, but that will require machining of the breech end of the barrel that is beyond my capabilities at this time. Also, Crosman is currently out of the .177 Marauder barrels.

So, when Crosman gets the Marauder barrels back in stock is there anyone that will machine the breech end to work with the 17xx platform?

Sorry for the long post, and I look forward to being able to contribute to this fine forum.

Thanks,

Mike
....lots of good info here, and most are quite willing to help out.

Looking forward to your build.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

January 5th, 2011, 6:04 pm #4

From Mellon Air:

FT Piston and valve
Flow thru bolt probe
Solid pivot pin

From Crosman:

Steel Breech
2289 Barrel Band
1760 24 inch barrel
2289 Pump Arm

Thanks,

Mike
for the welcome. Believe me I have spent hours reviewing all the potential mods for my soon to arrive 1377. However, the biggest thing want to do eventually is fit a Marauder .177 barrel to it. Does anyone know anyone that has or is willing to do the machining on the breech end of the Marauder barrel? I think adding the Marauder barrel will take take the accuracy potential of 13xx/22xx mods to a whole new level.

January 5th, 2011, 6:43 pm #5

however, I can not quite replicate the Crosman factory port for using the stock transfer port, I use the poly tube.

It's not that hard to make the modifications, and it could be done with a drill press and a dremel, if you have no mill and lathe.

January 6th, 2011, 12:27 am #6

Hmmm, that I can do. Have you found that the Marauder barrels increase accuracy significantly over a similar length normal Crosman barrel.

January 6th, 2011, 2:32 pm #7

From Mellon Air:

FT Piston and valve
Flow thru bolt probe
Solid pivot pin

From Crosman:

Steel Breech
2289 Barrel Band
1760 24 inch barrel
2289 Pump Arm

Thanks,

Mike
Post some pics and progress details of your build along the way. Have fun building it, most of all.

http://crosmanairgunmods.blogspot.com
http://airgunmods.blogspot.com

January 7th, 2011, 12:25 am #8

however, I can not quite replicate the Crosman factory port for using the stock transfer port, I use the poly tube.

It's not that hard to make the modifications, and it could be done with a drill press and a dremel, if you have no mill and lathe.
To get a nice sealing surface on the underside of the barrel for your vinyl tubing or o-ring to seal against, I've used a Dremel accesory #115 in a drill press. Clamp the barrel down, use oil to lubricate the work and it cuts a nice countersink for the vinyl to fit in. They'll last through about 3 barrels if you don't push it which ain't too bad at only $2-$4 a pop. The proper tool is an "end mill bit" but I have a hell of a time finding them locally.

Glenn in Texas