New (Crosman forum) member, 1377 story

New (Crosman forum) member, 1377 story

April 25th, 2011, 4:43 pm #1

I probably should have started with a backpacker instead, but my thoughts were maybe one day try my hand at pistol competition.

My bad shoulders had other ideas... especially after mildly modding my 1377 with a steel breech, the weight was too much for my shoulder(s). Bursitis caused stretched tendons, i.e. the one that holds up the arm... so it's too difficult to hold the pistol one-handed anymore.

Abandoning my plan for pistol competition, I've placed orders for some parts to make the pistol easier to shoot. I'll never give up! The list includes:
1399 shoulder stock
11.25" barrel/ 6.5" shroud
UTG/Leapers 4X32, adjustable objective bug buster scope

I think this is going to be a fun little gun once it's done, but I think it's going to look better in a more-tactical-all-black look. I haven't decided if I want to dye/paint the pump arm grip or get the backpacker grip for it. Does dyeing really work that well? I've searched & searched, and seen good recommendations on the process, but curious about the extreme longevity of the dye on the plastic.

The most difficult decision was barrel length. I kept thinking I wanted to keep it pretty short, and the shroud will butt-up against the end of the gun with the barrel length I ordered. I suppose if I want a bit more length later on it's easy enough to swap barrels...

April 25th, 2011, 5:12 pm #2

Easier pumping is not on your short list on making your pumper easy to shoot without Flat Top piston and solid pivot pin. It's really hard to shoot with tired arms from pumping with OEM piston and pump arm, kinda makes your shot wobbly from fatigue. On the other hand it;s OK for 1 or 2 shot session. With my carpal tunnel, I have to resort to making my pumper easier to shoot 600fps with 6 pumps or 706fps with 10 pumps using 7.9 CPL.

April 25th, 2011, 5:38 pm #3

Easier pumping is definitely on my list, but indeed, it's not on the short list yet. I haven't researched this whole flat-top piston deal yet, but it interests me for not only the easier pumping but added longevity to the gun! My list includes trigger work as well; and I haven't figured out what will suit me best there yet either, but I think I'm leaning to a 2 stage conversion...

With the bad shoulders I have, thankfully I can still pump the gun just fine. It's really cool to see how many different ways you can modify this little inexpensive shooter!

April 25th, 2011, 5:45 pm #4

I probably should have started with a backpacker instead, but my thoughts were maybe one day try my hand at pistol competition.

My bad shoulders had other ideas... especially after mildly modding my 1377 with a steel breech, the weight was too much for my shoulder(s). Bursitis caused stretched tendons, i.e. the one that holds up the arm... so it's too difficult to hold the pistol one-handed anymore.

Abandoning my plan for pistol competition, I've placed orders for some parts to make the pistol easier to shoot. I'll never give up! The list includes:
1399 shoulder stock

I think this is going to be a fun little gun once it's done, but I think it's going to look better in a more-tactical-all-black look. I haven't decided if I want to dye/paint the pump arm grip or get the backpacker grip for it. Does dyeing really work that well? I've searched & searched, and seen good recommendations on the process, but curious about the extreme longevity of the dye on the plastic.

The most difficult decision was barrel length. I kept thinking I wanted to keep it pretty short, and the shroud will butt-up against the end of the gun with the barrel length I ordered. I suppose if I want a bit more length later on it's easy enough to swap barrels...
Which rear sight is on the gun in the picture?

April 25th, 2011, 6:03 pm #5

Hi Jack,

The current rear sight is a Williams notch site. Since it's going to be more of a carbine now, I figure I may be getting rid of that sight in the future... although I love it's adjustability!

April 25th, 2011, 8:18 pm #6

1399 shoulder stock

I've not had a lot of trouble physically other than from lack of variety of exercise
but I have found that I can't hold a pistol on target like I could thirty years ago.
At any rate I'm really liking the stocks on my 13XXs as well as the scopes I can still
use iron sights but its not as much fun due to having to squint so much,ha!
I've certainly had a lot of fun building these things, So go ahead and work with yours
just have fun thats what their made for.

I have went back to a stock length barrel on the gun with cherry buttstock and forearm just
because it happens to be a better barrel. Will probably get another long one later or go
with a taller breech and then shroud the barrel. I've got some thin wall titanium tubing
just waiting to be made into a shroud.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

April 25th, 2011, 9:53 pm #7

1399 shoulder stock

Started modding one the other week and decided to post my progress on GTA... if you want to check it outhttp://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... 751.0.html

I look forward to seeing what you come up with... if you are going for the tactical look, you might check out Crosmod.com... their parts have that feel
Also,http://www.blueforkdesign.us/44501/38816.html has a trigger assembly that will accept an ar-15 grip

April 25th, 2011, 11:16 pm #8

I've not had a lot of trouble physically other than from lack of variety of exercise
but I have found that I can't hold a pistol on target like I could thirty years ago.
At any rate I'm really liking the stocks on my 13XXs as well as the scopes I can still
use iron sights but its not as much fun due to having to squint so much,ha!
I've certainly had a lot of fun building these things, So go ahead and work with yours
just have fun thats what their made for.

I have went back to a stock length barrel on the gun with cherry buttstock and forearm just
because it happens to be a better barrel. Will probably get another long one later or go
with a taller breech and then shroud the barrel. I've got some thin wall titanium tubing
just waiting to be made into a shroud.

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS
Beautiful guns James!

I like the woodwork on them for sure! With how inexpensive these 1377's are I may just have to get another just to have one with real wood on it. The one you have in the top of the photo looks to be similar to what I'm doing.
Last edited by Mack_T on April 25th, 2011, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2011, 11:19 pm #9

Started modding one the other week and decided to post my progress on GTA... if you want to check it outhttp://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... 751.0.html

I look forward to seeing what you come up with... if you are going for the tactical look, you might check out Crosmod.com... their parts have that feel
Also,http://www.blueforkdesign.us/44501/38816.html has a trigger assembly that will accept an ar-15 grip
Nice work on your 1377, Michael!

I hadn't seen the crosmods site before. Insane conversions they have going on there! Probably a bit on the extreme side for me, however someone I know might just be interested!

Thanks for the links!

April 26th, 2011, 1:47 am #10

Beautiful guns James!

I like the woodwork on them for sure! With how inexpensive these 1377's are I may just have to get another just to have one with real wood on it. The one you have in the top of the photo looks to be similar to what I'm doing.
If you are planning on getting another one to do in wood, you can kill two birds with one stone. W*lmart started selling their PC 1377s with BLACK forearms and grips... Make sure you do a "pellet grouping" test after buying because I had inaccuracy issues with the one that I got last Friday but I exchanged it today with a good one...

Good Luck...

MAV