New 760 "sawed-off shotgun" plywood stock (HUGE improvement)

New 760 "sawed-off shotgun" plywood stock (HUGE improvement)

June 7th, 2011, 11:31 pm #1

So, for those of you who haven't been following the story with my previous plywood stock, Cedric wanted to buy that one from me with a sawed off buttstock, to make it look like a "sawed off shotgun". After thinking about it, I decided to make a new stock just for him because I hated to spend hours shaping everything behind the handle, only to cut it off.

This is that new stock -- it's a huge improvement over my previous one in terms of all the tooling marks removed and properly sanded and smoothened up to 400 grit. I got a lot more patient making these stocks :D (and also I bought a sanding drum drill bit that made the process go a lot faster).

Anyway, just thought I'd show everyone it.

(more pics of both sides, interior, etc ahttp://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy95 ... d%20stock/)

And learning from finishing my last one, I'm not using tung oil on this one -- instead a spray on matte clear coat that preserves the natural light color of plywood while protecting the wood as well. I might also add a wax on top of it. It's not finished yet though.

But I suppose, I could use some more money for my 1377... My older stock hasn't sold yet, and even if it does sell, I'll have to lower the price ($50. anyone interested?), so it turns out there's not enough money to spend on my 1377, in addition to all the materials, new tools, and screw-ups I've had building these two stocks so far (plus, with more money I could add more tools to my meager workshop).

SO -- if anyone takes a liking to this stock and would like it on their own 760, I'll be willing to make TWO more of this stock. (in the very rare chance -- 3. But as an honest craftsman, who recognizes that Andy in NC came up with this idea and that many others here have generously helped me along the way, it wouldn't be ethical to try to make a lot of money off of these stocks. Not saying I won't continue making other kinds of stocks, though.)

This one's going to Cedric for $75 (not counting shipping), including a grey stain that I am in the process of getting right on scraps of wood. If that turns out nicely I'll be offering my next two stocks with a grey stain if wished... I'll keep you posted on how the stains turn out.

Any suggestions welcome (should I make it all a single color next time, or do the two contrasting plywoods look all right?).
Last edited by plinkin on June 7th, 2011, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 8th, 2011, 12:04 am #2

...and I'll bite!

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

June 8th, 2011, 12:13 am #3

So, for those of you who haven't been following the story with my previous plywood stock, Cedric wanted to buy that one from me with a sawed off buttstock, to make it look like a "sawed off shotgun". After thinking about it, I decided to make a new stock just for him because I hated to spend hours shaping everything behind the handle, only to cut it off.

This is that new stock -- it's a huge improvement over my previous one in terms of all the tooling marks removed and properly sanded and smoothened up to 400 grit. I got a lot more patient making these stocks :D (and also I bought a sanding drum drill bit that made the process go a lot faster).

(more pics of both sides, interior, etc ahttp://s781.photobucket.com/albums/yy95 ... d%20stock/)

And learning from finishing my last one, I'm not using tung oil on this one -- instead a spray on matte clear coat that preserves the natural light color of plywood while protecting the wood as well. I might also add a wax on top of it. It's not finished yet though.

But I suppose, I could use some more money for my 1377... My older stock hasn't sold yet, and even if it does sell, I'll have to lower the price ($50. anyone interested?), so it turns out there's not enough money to spend on my 1377, in addition to all the materials, new tools, and screw-ups I've had building these two stocks so far (plus, with more money I could add more tools to my meager workshop).

SO -- if anyone takes a liking to this stock and would like it on their own 760, I'll be willing to make TWO more of this stock. (in the very rare chance -- 3. But as an honest craftsman, who recognizes that Andy in NC came up with this idea and that many others here have generously helped me along the way, it wouldn't be ethical to try to make a lot of money off of these stocks. Not saying I won't continue making other kinds of stocks, though.)

This one's going to Cedric for $75 (not counting shipping), including a grey stain that I am in the process of getting right on scraps of wood. If that turns out nicely I'll be offering my next two stocks with a grey stain if wished... I'll keep you posted on how the stains turn out.

Any suggestions welcome (should I make it all a single color next time, or do the two contrasting plywoods look all right?).
Looking real good. You're coming right along with your woodworking skills! I like your design. Kind of looks like of a Ruger Charger. Keep us posted on the progress.

http://ruger.com/products/22ChargerDE/models.html

Kinda makes me want to build my own BBBBP (Big Bad BB Pistol)!

I plink, therefore I am.

June 8th, 2011, 1:10 am #4

You wrote:
> But as an honest craftsman, who recognizes that Andy in NC came
> up with this idea and that many others here have generously helped
> me along the way, it wouldn't be ethical to try to make a lot of
> money off of these stocks.

I would disgree about it not being ethical to make money off this design. You obviously put a lot of sweat equity into the fabrication and deserve to be compensated acccordingly. The new design looks great - I say let the market decide. If someone is willing to pay for them, keep cranking them out! All the better if you keep improving. I have many friends that financed various hobbies this way.

Larry Harris

June 8th, 2011, 3:39 am #5

...and I'll bite!

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

to model the stock on... You're the second to ask me. Cedric also asked me to make him a 2250 stock. Maybe I'll get one sometime in the future just to make stocks for it. (1 stock $$ pays for the gun!). Then again there are plenty of gunstock makers out there who make custom 22xx grips.

June 8th, 2011, 3:40 am #6

Looking real good. You're coming right along with your woodworking skills! I like your design. Kind of looks like of a Ruger Charger. Keep us posted on the progress.

http://ruger.com/products/22ChargerDE/models.html

Kinda makes me want to build my own BBBBP (Big Bad BB Pistol)!

I plink, therefore I am.
and inspiration...

You know I'll keep you updated on progress!

June 8th, 2011, 3:41 am #7

You wrote:
> But as an honest craftsman, who recognizes that Andy in NC came
> up with this idea and that many others here have generously helped
> me along the way, it wouldn't be ethical to try to make a lot of
> money off of these stocks.

I would disgree about it not being ethical to make money off this design. You obviously put a lot of sweat equity into the fabrication and deserve to be compensated acccordingly. The new design looks great - I say let the market decide. If someone is willing to pay for them, keep cranking them out! All the better if you keep improving. I have many friends that financed various hobbies this way.

Larry Harris
Thanks. We'll see how the demand for it turns out.

June 8th, 2011, 5:43 am #8

...and I'll bite!

Phil ,
Heres a stock I started some time ago for my 2200. Just glued up oak from home despot . Still roughing out the shape but it feels pretty good shouldered . If any body out there has a good picture of the stock mounting hardware for a 2200W ,I would greatly appreciate it.

Eric in San Diego

June 8th, 2011, 6:14 am #9

Here is a link to the 2280 (Model 1) rifle. The same rifle as the 2200, but refined a great deal. Refinement comes in the form of wood, metal front end plug, sights...

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/cros ... 0-EVP1.pdf

You will notice that attaching hardware is just a steel plate that is clam-shelled between the reciever halves and then a long bolt run through the butt.

I started a spalted maple stock but made the error in undercutting the wood (my template was small to begin with)... Must say that wood working is not a forte of mine.

Oh, almost forgot! Looks like you are on the right path with the stock - looks great.

Last edited by Duane30 on June 8th, 2011, 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 8th, 2011, 7:28 am #10

Phil ,
Thanks for the diagram, it clears up a lot questions I had. I'll have to get to work on this thing.

Eric in San diego