Myth Busters finally boggled my mind!

Myth Busters finally boggled my mind!

June 3rd, 2011, 3:23 pm #1

Okay. I think it was a re-run episode I saw the other night. The myth was to duplicate a viral video where a bullet was fired (9mm I think) into a frozen lake. Instead of the bullet bouncing off the ice the bullet simply spun like a top in the crater created. It took several attempts to duplicate the viral video, but they did in fact duplicate the video. The bullet spun like a top for several seconds.

My question is, what if one was to touch the bullet spinning several thousand rpm's? Simply fascinating.

Steve_in_NC - you have got to chime in on this one!

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

June 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm #2

E.g., 50,000 to 100,000rpm. But even so only a very small fraction of the total muzzle energy -- maybe 1/10,000 -- is represented by the kinetic energy of the spin.

I doubt that ~0.1fpe could do much damage to your finger.

Steve

June 3rd, 2011, 8:29 pm #3

Let's say a person touched it and, depending on the rotation and where they were standing, it gained traction and rolled up and hit them. Would it break skin or be like somebody throwing the same size bullet at you?

I think that spinning bullet calls a person to touch it like fire does if you didn't know it will burn you... LOL

MAV

June 3rd, 2011, 9:55 pm #4

..rifling which made one turn in 12 inches, the rpm would be 48000.

A conventional Dremel moto Tool has a shaft rotation of around 35000rpm.

Then there are these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_storage

But a question to the scientifically minded.
We say that a spun pellet may go into precession and nutation while traversing the air at high speed.

To illustrate precession and nutation, we are often directed to observe the gyrating antics of a childs top as it spins about it's axis.

So the question is, would the childs top go into the precession and nutation mode if the top were perfectly ballanced mass-wise and axis-wise?
Last edited by oo7fuzz on June 3rd, 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2011, 6:08 am #5

What if it was in zero gravity?

June 4th, 2011, 1:23 pm #6

...ice out of which Churchill wanted to build aircraft carriers.

http://www.suite101.com/content/great-b ... kuk-a43986

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on June 4th, 2011, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2011, 6:08 pm #7

Let's say a person touched it and, depending on the rotation and where they were standing, it gained traction and rolled up and hit them. Would it break skin or be like somebody throwing the same size bullet at you?

I think that spinning bullet calls a person to touch it like fire does if you didn't know it will burn you... LOL

MAV
...from 5 feet -- as from a gentle under-hand toss. Absolutely, completely, and laughably harmless.

Steve