my 392 muzzle adaptor

my 392 muzzle adaptor

May 14th, 2012, 5:31 am #1

i made this over the past couple days following phils little tutorial for a 392 / 397 LDC muzzle brake adaptor thingy seen hehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/t ... 28pics%29-

i couldn't find any pipe in the right dimensions so i went on ebay and got some brass stock for about 40 dollars. i figured i'd need to make at least three because i have 2 benjis and i would screw up the first one (and i did)

i have only a drill press so hollowing out the round bar was tough at first and i ruined the first attempt. the second one i almost screwed up but was able to just cut off the section i ruined and still had enough for it to work. getting it centered was the problem. im going to use a lathe to make the next one. i used a 11/32 drill bit and it fits over the barrel absolutely perfectly

i took pictures as i went along:

[/IMG]
i used a dremel tool to file down and cut this part
[/IMG]
i used a 8-32 screw on the front. i was going to do two like phils guide but once i tightened in the first i didnt want to drill the second hole in the front cap and risk drilling into the top roll pin hole (i didnt want burrs in there) one screw holds it just fine
[/IMG]
i really like the end result after grinding it down and polishing. i think it'd be cool to cut a dovetail on top of it to fit a globe sight.
[/IMG]
i showed it to my girlfriend and she couldnt believe i actually made it. she said she'd never be able to tell it wasnt actually part of the gun if i hadnt told her im actually quite proud of it and i learned that working with metal cut be very relaxing. ive never felt so focused. i brought a beer into the shop with me and totally forgot about it for like 4 hours.. normally im taking a drink every 5 minutes XD

DNADNNOID
Last edited by Dnadnnoid on May 13th, 2013, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 9:20 am #2

Last edited by robnewyork on May 14th, 2012, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm #3

i made this over the past couple days following phils little tutorial for a 392 / 397 LDC muzzle brake adaptor thingy seen hehttp://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/t ... 28pics%29-

i couldn't find any pipe in the right dimensions so i went on ebay and got some brass stock for about 40 dollars. i figured i'd need to make at least three because i have 2 benjis and i would screw up the first one (and i did)

i have only a drill press so hollowing out the round bar was tough at first and i ruined the first attempt. the second one i almost screwed up but was able to just cut off the section i ruined and still had enough for it to work. getting it centered was the problem. im going to use a lathe to make the next one. i used a 11/32 drill bit and it fits over the barrel absolutely perfectly

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
i used a 8-32 screw on the front. i was going to do two like phils guide but once i tightened in the first i didnt want to drill the second hole in the front cap and risk drilling into the top roll pin hole (i didnt want burrs in there) one screw holds it just fine
[/IMG]
i really like the end result after grinding it down and polishing. i think it'd be cool to cut a dovetail on top of it to fit a globe sight.
[/IMG]
i showed it to my girlfriend and she couldnt believe i actually made it. she said she'd never be able to tell it wasnt actually part of the gun if i hadnt told her im actually quite proud of it and i learned that working with metal cut be very relaxing. ive never felt so focused. i brought a beer into the shop with me and totally forgot about it for like 4 hours.. normally im taking a drink every 5 minutes XD

DNADNNOID
wow, very cool. looks amazing nt

May 14th, 2012, 12:30 pm #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

DNADNNOID
See, a little patience goes a long way! Some of you dogs are lucky to have a lathe! Ha!

Very nicely done, Trev. Now, if someone would make those, they could sell every single last one of them. They could be offered in 7/16" diameter for Crosman slip on made devices, or to the specs for thread on devices.

Such a device puts the ever so famous Benji into another realm. I love the Benji, but get tired how people say they are rather limited to mod. I say nay! They just require a little more attention than the run of the mill Crosman guns that have the benefit of bolt on mods. All other Crosman made guns essentially.

I have thought about putting together an internet page that discusses all the great mods and possibilites for the Benji system. Steve needs to do it as he has done most of the tricks for them.

Trev, one thing I did to cut the radius into the tube is use a little grinding wheel the same diameter as the tube to put a nice mating surface. Without a mill, that was about all I could come up with as a solution.

Nicely done!

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 14th, 2012, 2:42 pm #5

i installed it and scratched the outline into it and ground it down. i mostly eyeballed/freehanded it once i ground it to the mark and then sanded and polished it using a rig i devised for my drill press

phil: we SHOULD put together a website but we pretty much already have one: this forum! it is my go-to source of info for pumpers since it has more stuff about them than ANY where else ive searched. and believe me, ive done a lot of searching. you just need patience and use different keywords for everything in the search bar. it would be nice to have a compounded source though. how much would a website like that cost to run?

as i was making this thing i thought of mass producing them but would need more money to do a trial run. im not equipped to do it really and the one machine shop ive looked into here in town charges 60 dollars an hour.

it took me a while to make this thing but thats because i had to figure out how to do everything with just a drill press. i had to build a couple things from scratch just to hold the tube straight up and down in my vise.. i realized i have kindof a crappy vise after that! :P

a person with the right stuff could do in 45 minutes i bet

what do you think about my idea of the globe sight? anyone?

May 14th, 2012, 7:52 pm #6

May 20th, 2012, 8:59 pm #7

See, a little patience goes a long way! Some of you dogs are lucky to have a lathe! Ha!

Very nicely done, Trev. Now, if someone would make those, they could sell every single last one of them. They could be offered in 7/16" diameter for Crosman slip on made devices, or to the specs for thread on devices.

Such a device puts the ever so famous Benji into another realm. I love the Benji, but get tired how people say they are rather limited to mod. I say nay! They just require a little more attention than the run of the mill Crosman guns that have the benefit of bolt on mods. All other Crosman made guns essentially.

I have thought about putting together an internet page that discusses all the great mods and possibilites for the Benji system. Steve needs to do it as he has done most of the tricks for them.

Trev, one thing I did to cut the radius into the tube is use a little grinding wheel the same diameter as the tube to put a nice mating surface. Without a mill, that was about all I could come up with as a solution.

Nicely done!

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
A tight slip fit into the adapter and you don't need a grub screw.
Last edited by 22MK1 on May 20th, 2012, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2014, 12:40 pm #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

DNADNNOID
Every barrel is off-center to the front plug centerline. Crosmans soldering jigs have made that a tradition of errors.
Because of the way the plug takes the pumping stresses and moves relative to the pumping motion it is not a good idea to grab that.
I spent years trying to make this work and what I found was every gun needed one custom made so the internals would seal to the barrels length. Some barrels stick out beyond the end of the tube and some were 1/4" behind the tube end. I manufacture a Chevron shaped seal that goes between the barrel and the brake so it seals the gap and can be used on all the Benjies and Dans regardless of vintage.
I'm flattered to see the Gen II has sparked the innovative side in people but the reality is by grabbing the tube plug rather than the tube and barrel only the problem will be the Tube plug moving your brake around. At different pump values your alignment will be compromised between brake and barrel.
My design makes sure the brakes structure does not touch the front plug at all. It moves (for sure) and it is not the kind of movement that will be good in the long haul. The Gen II has been rigorously tested by my Secret Sauce test guy. It has been in real service for YEARS before I showed it to the world last year. Years of efficacy is what you get when you buy Mac1.
You do not need to reinvent this wheel but you are free to play. Enjoy. My designs have ZERO intellectual property attached. You can buy them or make them but it is far easier to go with what works.

TimmyMac1