Mounting rear sight on a Benjamin 397

Mounting rear sight on a Benjamin 397

PZ1

July 10th, 2012, 10:07 pm #1

Help ! I have all the parts for a factory rear sight for my Benjamin 397PA, the sight, the elevation screw and the two little wedges. Now, how do I mount the sight? The wedges have grooves along the center of one side, so I guess that is where the sight edges mount. How do I then mount the sight. I can see where it goes from images at Pyramyd Air.
Thank you very much !
Pete

July 10th, 2012, 11:31 pm #2

take the two wedges and put them on each side of the barrel where you want the sight to go. now hold the metal thingy-ma-bobber on top of the two wedges real tight so they don't move and wack one end with a light hammer to set it into the grooves. do the same to the other half now and your set.

im not sure of the ideal placement on the barrel. someone else who knows should tell us!! like what happens if its further forward or back?
Last edited by Dnadnnoid on July 10th, 2012, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2012, 11:36 pm #3

Help ! I have all the parts for a factory rear sight for my Benjamin 397PA, the sight, the elevation screw and the two little wedges. Now, how do I mount the sight? The wedges have grooves along the center of one side, so I guess that is where the sight edges mount. How do I then mount the sight. I can see where it goes from images at Pyramyd Air.
Thank you very much !
Pete
But like the previous post, will use two suports. If nothing else, two cut bamboo skewers...cut so that the wedges are in the right position as they lay in the crease of the airtube/barrel, butted up against the little shoulder of the reciever. With the two wedges unable to slip, can just tap the sight on to those wedges from the front.

PZ1

July 10th, 2012, 11:57 pm #4

take the two wedges and put them on each side of the barrel where you want the sight to go. now hold the metal thingy-ma-bobber on top of the two wedges real tight so they don't move and wack one end with a light hammer to set it into the grooves. do the same to the other half now and your set.

im not sure of the ideal placement on the barrel. someone else who knows should tell us!! like what happens if its further forward or back?
Do I tap the wedges, from the front, one at a time ? Do I tap one end of the sight, then the other..?
Thank you.
Pete

PZ1

July 11th, 2012, 12:01 am #5

But like the previous post, will use two suports. If nothing else, two cut bamboo skewers...cut so that the wedges are in the right position as they lay in the crease of the airtube/barrel, butted up against the little shoulder of the reciever. With the two wedges unable to slip, can just tap the sight on to those wedges from the front.
Skewers act as spacers...then tap the sight from the top OR still holding the package all together, tap the front edge of the sight to slip it under both wedges at the same time?
Getting good advise hre, but I a still not getting it..completely..
Thanks to all.
Pete

PZ1

July 11th, 2012, 12:53 am #6

That would be a Punch ? Like a brass punch not to leave ( much ) of a mark on top of the sight ? Hit the top of the sight right behind the front sight "Hinge" , then, with the elevation still not installed, at the rear infront of the sight blade?
Thanks,
Pete

July 11th, 2012, 12:58 am #7

Skewers act as spacers...then tap the sight from the top OR still holding the package all together, tap the front edge of the sight to slip it under both wedges at the same time?
Getting good advise hre, but I a still not getting it..completely..
Thanks to all.
Pete
i didn't do anything special. just line up the two wedges on each side, hold the sight on top and tap the hinge down until its caught in the grooves. then do the same to the other side

i had to give it a good solid wack with the hammer. that thing goes on super tight...

PZ1

July 11th, 2012, 1:26 am #8

Thanks all....Used the Trevor method.With the elevation screw removed, just lined it all up, and with a Craftman Nylon faced hammer, just whacked the heck out of it. Had it so just the forearm was on a hard dining room table top ( the lady was not home...)..Hope I left no evidence..Anyway, that sight is not going to move.
Both ideas are perfect because they work.
Again, thank you to Robert and Trevor. This is what Forums are all about.
Pete

PZ1

July 11th, 2012, 2:35 pm #9

Crosman has no instructions on how to mount the rear sight on these pumpers. The email response was that he felt that it was because of any liabilty issue. Like, you injure yourself or damage your air rifle, you may file a complaint or file a civil action.
Thank you Trevor and Robert for your help !
Pete

July 11th, 2012, 3:06 pm #10

Thanks all....Used the Trevor method.With the elevation screw removed, just lined it all up, and with a Craftman Nylon faced hammer, just whacked the heck out of it. Had it so just the forearm was on a hard dining room table top ( the lady was not home...)..Hope I left no evidence..Anyway, that sight is not going to move.
Both ideas are perfect because they work.
Again, thank you to Robert and Trevor. This is what Forums are all about.
Pete
...and just in case you've not done that before: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... sterday---

Steve