More math????

More math????

August 6th, 2012, 8:01 pm #1

I darned near failed 1st year Algebra. I kept getting up and walking out every time the teacher tried to tell me pie was square.

Imagine my surprise later when I found out "triggernomitry" had nothing to do with shooting guns!!!!!

I plink, therefore I am.
Last edited by airgunandy on August 6th, 2012, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2012, 8:26 pm #2

(Caveat: dunno if its 30 some years of real world usage or now having an application for it, and thus a deisre to leanr it)

During my years as a 3rd shift tape monkey, I was a desk chair physict, working my way thru lots of the math the particle chsers where publsishing. Not that difficult (if you have a clculator) for a lot of the stuff they were doing.

The isseus I had though, are the same ones I run into now: The equations may be fairly straight forward, but the getting/finding/deriving some of the data will run you off on tangents, then some of the tangents will break off onto others and soon your trail to the data you need looks like youve been tracing fractals with a crayon.....

And that I think is where my problem is, I dont knwo what do drop into the equation, or even what to look for to solve some of the substeps (tangents...) that feed the "main" equation. Myhaps a semester of ME 101 is in order...... 

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

August 6th, 2012, 11:50 pm #3

I get the basic stuff (1+1=2, 4x9=36, etc) but the hypotenuse times the square root of the parabola plus the area times the one train leaving NYC and the other leaving Chicago an hour later and all that stuff just befuddled me. lol

I did really well in Shop (Industrial Arts) in High School though!!!

I plink, therefore I am.

August 7th, 2012, 9:02 am #4

August 7th, 2012, 11:56 am #5

Once I got out into the real world a lot of the concepts and formulas began to make sense to me. How many bags of Sakrete to fill a certain sized hole or how many shingles will it take to do a certain sized roof with different roof lines and pitches.

Math is a lot more friendlier to me today than it was in school!

I plink, therefore I am.

August 7th, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

I think you'd be able to get it thru to folks easeir if you showed them a real world application

Took a job right out of high school doing maintenance. Needed to fix a corner on a roof... perfect application for geometry. But all they every made us do was memorize the 497 theorems that drive the subject. And never said how you may apply this....

August 7th, 2012, 5:11 pm #7

Still don't care for square pie though! lol

I plink, therefore I am.

August 7th, 2012, 7:57 pm #8

nt

August 7th, 2012, 9:34 pm #9

in a round cast iron skillet on the stovetop....

Regional varience

August 7th, 2012, 11:23 pm #10

Funny thing with cornbread, round or square, it all tastes the same! lol

I plink, therefore I am.