modarator

modarator

December 16th, 2011, 6:48 pm #1

well, work on the sound thingie on the end of the barrel has started. started with a piece of conduit, non-bendable, very thin steel, .015 or less, 13/16 ID, 29/32 or so OD. I'm leaving six inches out in front of the muzzle to work with. I'm using 3/8" felt rings spaced @ 1/8 inch with a .183 hole. the first shots reduced the sound by 85/90%, alright for the first try I guess. I am using 1/8 inch rubber o-rings for my spacers instead of washers. I could see no advantage for the washers as opposed to the o-rings. I assessed that the washers were for creating dead air between the felts to let the pressure equealize before muzzle exit?? (right or wrong?) can I assume that there is no way to make the gun silent(excluding mechanical sounds) am I on a track for success, or just peeing into the wind? also I'm stacking the felts in the tube to with-in a half inch of the end of tube. sound alright so far?? to tight?, to loose?? someone let me know something. Dave.

December 16th, 2011, 8:13 pm #2

do you have wipes toward the muzzle, are you using an air stripper?

December 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm #3

is often better.. Ive looked at 2 neil clague designs , they are incredible good and he has mastered distance from baffle to muzzle and muzzle to overall displacemt and so on...the better ones ive made , had one to 3 physical wipes in them , 1 inch buffing pads from a dremel secured between 2 washers about halfway down the ldc made about 50 percent reduction instantly.. yes i pilot a hole in the wipe but the wipe literally collects lead dust....scotchbrite packing works amazing too, i have a friend with aa200 that u cant even hear, there is literally no report whatsoever, its mind boggling .

December 16th, 2011, 9:01 pm #4

well, work on the sound thingie on the end of the barrel has started. started with a piece of conduit, non-bendable, very thin steel, .015 or less, 13/16 ID, 29/32 or so OD. I'm leaving six inches out in front of the muzzle to work with. I'm using 3/8" felt rings spaced @ 1/8 inch with a .183 hole. the first shots reduced the sound by 85/90%, alright for the first try I guess. I am using 1/8 inch rubber o-rings for my spacers instead of washers. I could see no advantage for the washers as opposed to the o-rings. I assessed that the washers were for creating dead air between the felts to let the pressure equealize before muzzle exit?? (right or wrong?) can I assume that there is no way to make the gun silent(excluding mechanical sounds) am I on a track for success, or just peeing into the wind? also I'm stacking the felts in the tube to with-in a half inch of the end of tube. sound alright so far?? to tight?, to loose?? someone let me know something. Dave.
to just call TKO or Clague, and order one. Both guys have a proven track record at SSR efforts.

The other thing would be to check out the smithing section of Silencertalk.com  (http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10). These guys are _THE_ suppression experts in the world. And since airguns dont generate the heat and pressures that their pyro cousin do, the materials you can use is greatly expanded.

Making SSR devices is as much black magic as it is science...... keep us posted 

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

December 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm #5

do you have wipes toward the muzzle, are you using an air stripper?
I started with a spark plug boot cut to fit the end of the barrel, about 1 1/4" long that I had to put a drop of baby oil on to squeeze into the tube.(self centering) then a felt collar or washer or whatever you want to call it, then a 1/8" rubber o-ring, and so on and so on till I got to with-in an inch or so of the end of the tube, then installed a plastic stopper in the end, (press fit) it was a plastic nut from a welding hood so was easy to deal with as far as sizing(drill press and a file) I ran a 5/32 welding rod thru the tube with all installed and rolled it back and forth a few times to get whatever errent threads were in the way, out of the way. upon firing I was tickled to find that the noise level had been reduced by at least 80%. I may have inadvertinly put too many felts in the tube and reduced the volume to much. later I'll try a few less and spaced out more and see what that does. but all in all I'm happy with the result, it's much quieter, it's not to heavy, and the alignment really suprised me, shoots out of a 5/16 hole without shaving, and it still shoots as good as it did before. Dave.

December 16th, 2011, 9:17 pm #6

is often better.. Ive looked at 2 neil clague designs , they are incredible good and he has mastered distance from baffle to muzzle and muzzle to overall displacemt and so on...the better ones ive made , had one to 3 physical wipes in them , 1 inch buffing pads from a dremel secured between 2 washers about halfway down the ldc made about 50 percent reduction instantly.. yes i pilot a hole in the wipe but the wipe literally collects lead dust....scotchbrite packing works amazing too, i have a friend with aa200 that u cant even hear, there is literally no report whatsoever, its mind boggling .
Is what you are calling a wipe the washers inbetween the felts? if so I have none! just felts. Dave.

December 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm #7

basically sandwich the felt or scotchbrite beween 2 washers that fit your shroud perfectly, it will act as a locking pinch point for the gasses and is incredibly effective, the quietest ive ever seen on the 200 was made with bigger displacement (about 1.5od) but was heavily packed w scotchbright

December 16th, 2011, 9:23 pm #8

Is what you are calling a wipe the washers inbetween the felts? if so I have none! just felts. Dave.
and pilot a small rough hole in the felt, the first 20 rds will make this hole perfect for u after install. it will not cause tumbling or clipping when dont correctly .use aa spring to lock the wipe in pace between the washers .

December 16th, 2011, 9:25 pm #9

I started with a spark plug boot cut to fit the end of the barrel, about 1 1/4" long that I had to put a drop of baby oil on to squeeze into the tube.(self centering) then a felt collar or washer or whatever you want to call it, then a 1/8" rubber o-ring, and so on and so on till I got to with-in an inch or so of the end of the tube, then installed a plastic stopper in the end, (press fit) it was a plastic nut from a welding hood so was easy to deal with as far as sizing(drill press and a file) I ran a 5/32 welding rod thru the tube with all installed and rolled it back and forth a few times to get whatever errent threads were in the way, out of the way. upon firing I was tickled to find that the noise level had been reduced by at least 80%. I may have inadvertinly put too many felts in the tube and reduced the volume to much. later I'll try a few less and spaced out more and see what that does. but all in all I'm happy with the result, it's much quieter, it's not to heavy, and the alignment really suprised me, shoots out of a 5/16 hole without shaving, and it still shoots as good as it did before. Dave.
make the first 3 inches void, then the first wipe, about 80 percent of the gas will be left in the first 3 inches, then the design is easy after that, sounds like its workin well aready though...

December 16th, 2011, 9:31 pm #10

The tube is an oddball size so I had to cut the felts too big. I cut the first holes at .250, but when I squeezed the felt in it reduced the hole to much, so I had to go to a 3/8 punch, that made it just right. if I find some steel washers the right size I will try them. why couldn't I make the wipers out of a harder rubber of some kind, or teflon? or nylon? plexiglass? all should work and be lighter than steel. that this thing worked at all kinda impressed me, let alone worked well, for someone floundering around in the dark it's cool! Dave.