Make a new barrel for my 760

Make a new barrel for my 760

May 17th, 2011, 5:28 pm #1

Hi guys. I bought a verry nice 760 from 1970 yesterday. I have not get it yet. Next week i think. Is it a big job to make a rifled 177 barrel i have to fit the 760? I have a lathe, and tools. Tommy.

May 17th, 2011, 5:49 pm #2

If you have the tools and skills to make one, it shouldn't be too difficult... Here's a writeup that may be useful... I know the newer plastic 760s are a little different...

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/s ... sman%20760

I've been wanting to get one of the older 760s also. I can't remember what Phase but the last one with the metal receiver with the scope mounts... I used too hate how these guns look but once I got one in my hands, I really wanted one...

MAV

May 17th, 2011, 5:56 pm #3

Hi. The reson why i bought this one, is that i got exakt one of those guns as a gift in 1971. I was just a kid, and i was so proud of that gun. None of my mates have ever seen a crosman before. They had Old Dianas and Slavias. This gun that i bought was in verry good shape. I remember that i was shooting diabolos in my, and that it didnt shoot bad at all. Tommy.

May 17th, 2011, 6:03 pm #4

I was distended to own one... All these years being the first thing I saw in stores and I was even offered a special anniversary version when I graduated from high school in which declined... AND now I want one when they stopped selling the good ones.... LOL

One more thing, I think the riffled barrel people use is the same one people use to extend their 1377 barrels.... I forget the number of the rifle it is originally from

MAV

May 17th, 2011, 8:14 pm #5

Hi guys. I bought a verry nice 760 from 1970 yesterday. I have not get it yet. Next week i think. Is it a big job to make a rifled 177 barrel i have to fit the 760? I have a lathe, and tools. Tommy.
A barrel for the Crosman 1760 can be machined to work in a 760. I bought one from Mountain Air custom airguns several years ago for my customized 760. I read somewhere that 1760 barrels are getting harder to come by from Crosman, but a .177 Discovery barrel is basically the same thing and it's even notched like a 760 barrel for the rear sight.
My 760 is one of the newer ones with the 5 round pellet magazine (or clip as they call it). Makes it a lot easier to load with a scope on the gun.

On the other hand....

You might try looking for an older Crosman 66. I picked up one from the 80's for $20 at a flea market a couple of years ago (metal receiver) and it was almost like new. 66's had a rifled barrel since they first came out until just recently. Mine's deadly accurate with Destroyer pellets. Little longer length of pull too.

I plink, therefore I am.

May 18th, 2011, 1:05 am #6

all crosmans is expensive here in Sweden, so a 66 is not easy to find at a fair price. I have a barrel from a Chinese breakbarrel, that shoot realy nice with Eley Wasp. A little larger in dia, but as i said, i have a lathe, so i can cut it and crown it. But when i get it, i shall first try it with pellets and se how it shoots.Nice 760 that you have there. Tommy.
Last edited by 500cc on May 18th, 2011, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, 2011, 1:46 am #7

A barrel for the Crosman 1760 can be machined to work in a 760. I bought one from Mountain Air custom airguns several years ago for my customized 760. I read somewhere that 1760 barrels are getting harder to come by from Crosman, but a .177 Discovery barrel is basically the same thing and it's even notched like a 760 barrel for the rear sight.
My 760 is one of the newer ones with the 5 round pellet magazine (or clip as they call it). Makes it a lot easier to load with a scope on the gun.

On the other hand....

You might try looking for an older Crosman 66. I picked up one from the 80's for $20 at a flea market a couple of years ago (metal receiver) and it was almost like new. 66's had a rifled barrel since they first came out until just recently. Mine's deadly accurate with Destroyer pellets. Little longer length of pull too.

I plink, therefore I am.
Did you do the 1377 internal mods that apply also?

You inspire me to do up my plastic 760 with a short barrel for killing rats up close but it leaves me wondering what I'm going to do with all my bbs... Somebody needs to do a dual barrel adapter for a 760... That would kick *ss...

MAV